How do I remove the lip-sync delay on optical cable from genie to a/v receiver? - Dir

2 ISSUES

There is an audio synchronization problem when using optical cable to a/v receiver while watching programs on hdmi to tv. The sound is not syncronized with the faces/actions on screen. Surround sound (Dolby 5.1) does not transmit to a/v receiver via optical cable from the tv, which is receiving its signal from the Directv Genie DVR via hdmi. Bypassing the tv and running optical cable from genie to a/v receiver does yield surround sound, but at a visible delay. These problems were NOT present when I was on Uverse equipment. Using optical was not my first choice, as I had to resort to a split hdmi video/ optical audio to get 5.1 surround.

TV:LG RECEIVER
ony PREVIOUSLY: Working Properly with Uverse Equipment

This question, "How do I remove the lip-sync delay on optical cable from genie to a/v receiver?," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.

G

2 ISSUES

There is an audio synchronization problem when using optical cable to a/v receiver while watching programs on hdmi to tv. The sound is not syncronized with the faces/actions on screen. Surround sound (Dolby 5.1) does not transmit to a/v receiver via optical cable from the tv, which is receiving its signal from the Directv Genie DVR via hdmi. Bypassing the tv and running optical cable from genie to a/v receiver does yield surround sound, but at a visible delay. These problems were NOT present when I was on Uverse equipment. Using optical was not my first choice, as I had to resort to a split hdmi video/ optical audio to get 5.1 surround.

TV:LG RECEIVER
ony PREVIOUSLY: Working Properly with Uverse Equipment

This question, "How do I remove the lip-sync delay on optical cable from genie to a/v receiver?," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.
Most likely you do not need to "remove" delay but "add it" since the optical sound output from your Genie won't have the delay your TV likely adds to its optical output.

I don't have an LG TV but my Samsung's video delay is around 60 to 80 ms so it adds that audio delay to its optical output. When I take audio directly from a source like a Genie I use a Felston DD740 to delay the digital audio for perfect lip-sync. If your TV has similar video delay 60 to 80 ms audio delay will offset the TV's video delay but most signals arrive with a lot more video delay. I average around 100 to 114 ms but sometimes need as much as 330 ms added audio delay to get some programs in sync. Other companies like Alchemy2 and Primare make digital audio delays for lip-sync correction too but I've used Felston since their first single input DD340 about ten years ago and had their DD540 before getting the four input DD740 and I anxiously await their HDMI version which I understand will be called the HD940. I am very sensitive to lip-sync error and adjust it for every program.