How do you determine when to keep your kids home from school?

BabysMomma70

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My friends and I were recently discussing when it's appropriate to keep our kids home from school when they aren't feeling well. We concluded that the obvious symptoms are fever, throwing up, and pink eye. The part of the discussion where we had some debate was whether to keep our kids home if they have a cold.

I started to reference a campaign the marketing company I work for is doing for Triaminic. The National Association of School Nurses and Triaminic recently teamed up to create Sick Day Guidelines.

The Sick Day Guidelines aim to provide parents with the key signs that they should consider keeping their child home from school. They'll be available as a refrigerator magnet and will be handed out by school nurses across the country.

I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. What symptoms warrant you to keep your kids home from school? Do you keep your kids home if they have a cold?

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Thinking back when I was kid I wish that just a slight cold would have saved me from going to school. (I am really not that old, btw) Today, children with a cough are asked to stay home thinking that they may infect other children.

Something to think about.

Schools are getting huge. I graduated with 30 students in my class. The very next year was a class of 58! The following year, even more. When you pack more kids shoulder to shoulder and one has a cold, more will be affected.

Flu virii are becoming more potent. You used to get away with a bowl of hot soup, now you need 2 weeks of medication.

One quick question. If you knew one of your kid's classmates was sick, would you want your kid to be around them?

I lived through school even though it wasn't nearly close to todays school life.

BabysMomma70

DTVUSA Jr. Member
You make a great point! Times have changed. When I was growing up, my mom wouldn't let me stay home unless I had a fever or was throwing up. Now, I watch how my sister acts around her kids. She won't even bring them around my other sister's kids if one of them has a cold.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
I only keep my child home if she has a fever or is vomiting. If she has the common cold, she goes to school. After all, that is probably where she got it from:)

I think that it would be a good idea for the schools to send a magnetic chart home for us to use in determining when our kids should stay home from school.

Usually when I keep my daughter home, by noon she is up and fine! Then I second guess myself.

BabysMomma70

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It's that season again and with the advent of H1N1 keeping our kids from getting sick has become a major focus, at least it has in my household.

My job has the aforementioned campaign with Triaminic and I became aware of a cool little resource I'd like to share with the parents here to try and keep the kids well this season(now that it's winter it's gotten incredibly cold).

Triaminic's Cold and Flu tracker. It's a online resource for people to understand flu trends in their area. According to that site where I live has something along the lines of 15-20% of the population sick right now, and it's only just started to get cold lol. What are some of the rates of you guys' areas?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's that season again and with the advent of H1N1 keeping our kids from getting sick has become a major focus, at least it has in my household.

My job has the aforementioned campaign with Triaminic and I became aware of a cool little resource I'd like to share with the parents here to try and keep the kids well this season(now that it's winter it's gotten incredibly cold).

Triaminic's Cold and Flu tracker. It's a online resource for people to understand flu trends in their area. According to that site where I live has something along the lines of 15-20% of the population sick right now, and it's only just started to get cold lol. What are some of the rates of you guys' areas?
I've been really sick this last year, and it appears that I'm not alone over here in California. I visit family often in Fresno which has a reading of "Very High". Kind of confirms my suspicions.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I got some nasty something or other in the late winter last year about this time. It was a nasty congestion in the lungs, and a hacking cough that hung around for a solid month.

However, Ive been good to go since then.

BabysMomma70

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've been really sick this last year, and it appears that I'm not alone over here in California. I visit family often in Fresno which has a reading of "Very High". Kind of confirms my suspicions.
I live in NYC and we're in that "Very High" range as well, a little prevention will go a long way this year I hope.