How much does a roof top installation typically cost?

Aldey

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Another question, how much should I pay to have a large antenna installed on my roof top with a rotator? I'm waiting for a quote back from an antenna technician, but I wanted to hear how much anyone else has paid or how much you think it should cost?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Another question, how much should I pay to have a large antenna installed on my roof top with a rotator? I'm waiting for a quote back from an antenna technician, but I wanted to hear how much anyone else has paid or how much you think it should cost?
Labor costs I am not familiar enough and probably vary.

But if you were to DIY the system here is the cost of a top grade system.

Antenna = $120
Rotor = $80
Amp = $70
Coax = $40

These are high estimates trying to include needed a full blown system for distant stations and only moderately shopping prices and shipping.

The pole to mount it can be anywhere depending on what you use.

If you were to go say 20 ft up with a house clamp, about $30 for the pole.

If you go up 50 ft with a pole, you need a telescoping mast and guys, probably $150 to $200.

If you need tower, about $40 a foot for an unguyed tower. Which is ok with a house bracket and a TV antenna to 50 feet.

Then of course labor costs that vary widely depending on the company, and what is installed.

If you have any way to do it yourself, we can help you pick out the right antenna or if it's possible from your location.

Aldey

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ouch, but I hear what you're saying about the high estimates. Was thinking the whole thing would run me less than $300, tops. I'd imagine labor will run $50/hour x 2-3 hours so it could be as high as $500. Hopefully not.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
We can give you a better idea of the cost if you post your TV Fool report and tell us what stations you want to receive.

Do an exact address report. Don't worry as we won't be able to see the address.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Ouch, but I hear what you're saying about the high estimates. Was thinking the whole thing would run me less than $300, tops. I'd imagine labor will run $50/hour x 2-3 hours so it could be as high as $500. Hopefully not.
Actually that might be possible. Say you only need a medium range antenna on a 15 to 20 feet of pole. Don't need a rotor or amp it could be $300 installed. Where I live I could give someone 4 UHF channels for $300 installed charging $50 an hour.

If they wanted VHF from the Jacksonville DMA, that would about another $200 to the bill. Not much more labor, mostly parts.

I don't know your abilities but putting up a TV antenna that is 20 feet or less is very easy.