How much is your gas?

MacGyver

DTVUSA Member
I was so excited, I saw a gas station today that had dropped down below $2.50 a gallon. A couple of weeks ago it was closer to $4.00 a gallon. I sure hope everything else drops in price.

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Last time I was downtown we had it down to $2.54, which is pretty darn good, all things considered. Today I heard that the price of oil has risen again, so even though I have a little sense of guilt for feeling so, I almost hate to see or hear of any rises in the stock mkt since it will prolly also mean rises in oil prices, which may translate to rises in our gasoline costs once again... The drop in the price has been the only 'bright spot' in this whole mess...

Grocery prices: Did anyone hear that ridiculous report a couple days ago, where someone (i still don't know just who, i would like to find out the source) stated that grocery prices won't fall anytime soon b/c there is a big stockpile of supplies somewhere that have to be used up before our food costs will go down. My mother caught on to this before i did (and she's almost 85, still a smart old gal!) and said How can this be true when so much of our produce is FRESH, not canned/dried/processed nonperishables which *would* keep in storage for several months; but fresh produce, such as meat and vegetables, has to be consumed quickly, those can't be stored away for several months. But we don't see prices on meat or plant-type foods going down, now do we??

Makes me mad... <Grrrrr....hiss....phffffftt...mrowrr>

iluvtv

DTVUSA Member
Grocery prices: Did anyone hear that ridiculous report a couple days ago, where someone (i still don't know just who, i would like to find out the source) stated that grocery prices won't fall anytime soon b/c there is a big stockpile of supplies somewhere that have to be used up before our food costs will go down. My mother caught on to this before i did (and she's almost 85, still a smart old gal!) and said How can this be true when so much of our produce is FRESH, not canned/dried/processed nonperishables which *would* keep in storage for several months; but fresh produce, such as meat and vegetables, has to be consumed quickly, those can't be stored away for several months. But we don't see prices on meat or plant-type foods going down, now do we?? Makes me mad... <Grrrrr....hiss....phffffftt...mrowrr>
They must think we are stupid. Even if they had a stockpile of certain groceries, it would make more sense to drop the prices for a quick sale. Consumers are going to hold onto their money with the economy being so unstable, and good jobs becoming a precious commodity. If they want us to spend our money, then they need to drop the prices.

hippychick

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Last time I was downtown we had it down to $2.54, which is pretty darn good, all things considered. Today I heard that the price of oil has risen again, so even though I have a little sense of guilt for feeling so, I almost hate to see or hear of any rises in the stock mkt since it will prolly also mean rises in oil prices, which may translate to rises in our gasoline costs once again... The drop in the price has been the only 'bright spot' in this whole mess...

Grocery prices: Did anyone hear that ridiculous report a couple days ago, where someone (i still don't know just who, i would like to find out the source) stated that grocery prices won't fall anytime soon b/c there is a big stockpile of supplies somewhere that have to be used up before our food costs will go down. My mother caught on to this before i did (and she's almost 85, still a smart old gal!) and said How can this be true when so much of our produce is FRESH, not canned/dried/processed nonperishables which *would* keep in storage for several months; but fresh produce, such as meat and vegetables, has to be consumed quickly, those can't be stored away for several months. But we don't see prices on meat or plant-type foods going down, now do we??

Makes me mad... <Grrrrr....hiss....phffffftt...mrowrr>
Wha!! I hope that isn't true, and kudos to your mom! We've had to quit buying organic because the costs have gotten rediculous along with gas. There are a few corporations that are buying up seed manufactures, which in turn has jacked up the cost for farmers and crops, which has increased costs for consumers. ok I'll get off my pedestal, but there are other things that we can do to lower food costs here in the US, like opening up more land for farming.

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Wha!! I hope that isn't true, and kudos to your mom! We've had to quit buying organic because the costs have gotten rediculous along with gas. There are a few corporations that are buying up seed manufactures, which in turn has jacked up the cost for farmers and crops, which has increased costs for consumers. ok I'll get off my pedestal, but there are other things that we can do to lower food costs here in the US, like opening up more land for farming.
I haven't bought anything organic in YEARS, even before this mess anything organic was so expensive it was out of the question on our budget. Yeh, even though I'm a frenetic tree-hugger, I really would prefer to see land usage devoted more to farming than subdivisions! But this ole country seems to be headed down the urbanization road rather than agriculture...

I was trying to find something about that report my Mom heard, but I haven't located anything...maybe it really doesn't matter at this point... Haven't seen anything on MSN, so I reckon I'll focus on why & how rats multiply and what to do about dull thin hair. :rolleyes: But in surfing, I did find this interesting page (and I hope it's OK to post URL's here):

September Consumer Price Index: Interesting Relationship Between Food and Energy Prices - Seeking Alpha

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
One way that has helped me so much with my groceries, is by couponing. Without coupons my family wouldn't be able to eat in the manner in which we have become accustomed. We have a thread about couponing if you would like to check it out and maybe add your own ideas. http://www.dtvusaforum.com/shopping-hot-deals/458-coupon-corner.html
OH Yes, thanks!!! I used to work as a major newspaper carrier, and one of the few "perks" was a constant supply of coupons. Nowadays we aren't doing that kind of work, and seldom see supplies of coupons. But, we do use them! And almost everything else not affected by a coupon had better be on sale before we purchase it! There really are very few items that we don't buy at a sale price.

Lisanne7

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the ideas on coupons - we could all use some...

I had heard that some groceries were going up but not because of a stockpile - I just heard it was because the trucks had had to spend so much more money on gas to transport them that the costs went up from the farmer to the grocery stores...

My gas is at it's lowest here in South Florida is at $2.59/gal - but most places are in the $2.70-$2.80s.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Yay!!! I just filled my gas tank up at $2.28 9/10 a gallon. I have always wondered why they have to put a 9/10 out by the price. Why not just round it up to a whole dollar and make it simpler. Probably because people think they are just paying $2.28 a gallon, when in reality they are paying $2.29. Just food for thought.

The gas price is a little low but it is not a big relief as the of the prices for rest of the things are still surging. Overall inflation is getting beyond all limits.The prices are almost double for each and every product.

Voyager

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I saw gas at $2.17 a gallon today. I was told that when the stocks go back up, the gas will too. Is the stock market still down? I thought it had all been resolved.