How to block remote control signals?

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it's the remote for my dvr, I'll post here.

I have two DVRs - one Motorola from Comcast and one Panasonic. I recently started using a Motorola cable box for the Panasonic to get more channels. I have the dongle thingie hooked up and running the cable box (an interesting exercise in itself!). Both dvr's are on the same stand - I dub from the Motorola to the Panasonic to offload it, plus it is (or was) simpler to have them both in one spot.

Problem: the same remote controls both the dvr and the cable box. I have the cable box turned around backwards, but I seem to be getting some reflected signals - ie I'll change the moto dvr's channel and the cable box gets changed too.So I'm trying to figure how to "protect" the eye of the cable box? Would securing the dongle thing in place and then covering the front of the box with "aluminum" foil work. (is it even aluminum any more?). Styrofoam? Cardboard?
Thanks.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Try covering it with some cardboard - when you locate the sensor on the box, cover it with electrical tape. The sensor should be infra red.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Its pretty easy, really - use a piece of cardboard to cover the panel and move it around till you find where the IR eye is, and then cover it with a small piece of electrical tape. Manufacturers like to camouflage them, so the can be hard to find.

Of course, if its an RF remote, all bets are off. I'm picturing a lead - lined sarcophagus....

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I think I may have used the wrong term here. Apparently I have an "IR blaster". I need to position it in front of the eye. That was fairly easy while it's out in the open, but to cover it I suppose I'm going to have to build something a little more 3D in front of it. If cardboard works, then maybe I can reuse part of a box. If not, I save a foil "bowl" that some carryout came in!

I haven't tackled this yet because I had some other hopefully unrelated Panasonic problems, so haven't yet parked it in its permanent position.

It sure would be simpler if Motorola (the band of dvr & boxes my local Comcast uses) had an A/B type of remote. Eons ago, I had two identical vcr's and even they had the ability to have two different remote signals. Shoot, if Motorola did that, I'd seriously consider getting a 2nd dvr for not that much more than the cost of this jury-rigged box!

BTW, if anyone wants to know if you can use a Panasonic EH50 with the Motorola box, you can... but only with certain Moto boxes.