How to cancel DirecTV service?

I have service right now and I no longer want to use it because I wanna save money. How can I find out if I'm past my contract? I don't have the original paper work anymore. Are they forgiving if you're a few months away from the contract too? Need help with this one please.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
I recently paid a pro-rated Early Termination fee when I dropped DirecTV. If you only have a couple of months left, it won't be much and may be less than your regular monthly bill. Just call and ask if you're still under contract.
800 DIRECTV
At the voice prompts, keep saying "Cancel Service" over & over. The IVR will connect you to the correct department.

Any leased boxes you are using must be returned to DirecTV or you'll be charged a hefty fee for each one. Ask them how many boxes they show as leased, and ask them to send you a return kit. The kit is just empty box(es) for the set top boxes and includes a prepaid FedEx return shipping label.

Make absolutely sure you get the FedEx tracking number and track the return set top box shipment at fedex.com. Make a copy of when/where they received the returned boxes, in case they try to bill you for un-returned boxes later. This happens fairly often, according to threads on other forums.

Make absolutely sure you get the FedEx tracking number and track the return set top box shipment at fedex.com. Make a copy of when/where they received the returned boxes, in case they try to bill you for un-returned boxes later. This happens fairly often, according to threads on other forums.
Ditto that recommendation, never happened to me, but it seems to be an almost common complaint on dbstalk.com