How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo

How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo

I have a new Samsung SUHD TV that is certainly 4K ready. I can use the embedded TV apps to stream, or connect HDMI devices (including my 4K Genie mini) directly to the TV's "OneConnect" HDMI switch and get 4K.

However, I'd rather connect the Genie Mini to one of my Onkyo A/V HDMI inputs (along with my other devices like Blu-ray and Apple TV), and direct the single "Monitor out HDMI" to the Samsung One Connect. The Onkyo has the latest firmware, it's HDMI inputs are certainly 4K ready, and it can manually be configured to upscale to 4K output regardless of input.

However, I put in in "Through" mode so native resolution comes to the TV based on the active input device. In this configuration, when the 4K Genie mini is selected as the input, Directv channel 104 downgrades the signal displaying the message "Your TV doesn't support 4K content, you are watching in 1080p, the highest available".

How can I get the Genie to realize the signal it's sending is to a 4K TV, it's just being passed-through an AV receiver? I'd rather not mess around with ARC or optical audio return to get sound to the Onkyo from all my sources.

This question, "How to get Genie to recognize 4K-compatible TV when HDMI signal passes through Onkyo A/V receiver?," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.