How to install phone line to back of Genie Receiver AND phone line using spliiter???

How to install phone line to back of Genie Receiver AND phone line using spliiter???

I've had uverse for years and I currently have the Arris NVG589 router. I also have the Directv Genie receiver H44-500. So I have never had Caller ID with this Directv receiver so I decided to simply take a 1-2 female phone line splitter and hook up the phone line from the router to phone system and the other side to the back of the Directv receiver. Inexplicably, when the phone line is connected by itself, the phone works fine. However, when I connect the other side of the splitter to the back of the receiver, the phone line doesn't work. Conversely, if I only have the reciever connected directly to the back of the NVG589, the phone line doesn't work (nor should it). So, how in the heck am I supposed to have caller ID. I called Directv and the CSR told me that the called ID works just with WIFI? No, I don't think so. I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?

This question, "How to install phone line to back of Genie Receiver AND phone line using spliiter???," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.