How to Update Zinwell ZAT-970A Firmware?

Zoowey

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello. I just bought a Zinwell ZAT-970A digital converter box and so far everything is working great.

My basic question is, how do I update the firmware?

My more detailed question is. There is an option in the menu to update the software. I tried doing an "Over the Air" update, on the default settings it simply said no signal. I then tried channel 12's frequency which is 207.000MHz and it seemed to work since it paused for a good 30 seconds but then came up with the message "Wrong info typed in" so I'm guessing I have to do something about the Download PID but I don't know what that is or what to do. The bandwidth option is greyed out.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Hello. I just bought a Zinwell ZAT-970A digital converter box and so far everything is working great.

My basic question is, how do I update the firmware?

My more detailed question is. There is an option in the menu to update the software. I tried doing an "Over the Air" update, on the default settings it simply said no signal. I then tried channel 12's frequency which is 207.000MHz and it seemed to work since it paused for a good 30 seconds but then came up with the message "Wrong info typed in" so I'm guessing I have to do something about the Download PID but I don't know what that is or what to do. The bandwidth option is greyed out.
Zoowey, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I looked at the back connectors on the Zinwell Zat-970A and I don't see that it's possible to do a firmware update through the external connectors on this box. I've never opened one up, but there may be a service port available inside for firmware updates.

Zoowey

DTVUSA Rookie
Zoowey, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I looked at the back connectors on the Zinwell Zat-970A and I don't see that it's possible to do a firmware update through the external connectors on this box. I've never opened one up, but there may be a service port available inside for firmware updates.
Thanks for the reply. Even if there is a serial port inside the box itself I'm wondering where I'd actually get the update itself. The Zinwell website, zinnetusa.com doesn't say anything about firmware updates.

What I find odd is that my paper manual that came in the box says absolutely nothing of Software Upgrades, doesn't even have those words typed into it.

I'm starting to think it's upgradable only by the manufacturer but if it is then why would they advertise it as having upgradable firmware if the user can't do anything.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the reply. Even if there is a serial port inside the box itself I'm wondering where I'd actually get the update itself. The Zinwell website, zinnetusa.com doesn't say anything about firmware updates.

What I find odd is that my paper manual that came in the box says absolutely nothing of Software Upgrades, doesn't even have those words typed into it.

I'm starting to think it's upgradable only by the manufacturer but if it is then why would they advertise it as having upgradable firmware if the user can't do anything.
It's probably a leftover component of the "house call service" code that was copied from the zinwell satellite receivers the CECB is based on. If there is a huge nationwide firmware problem requiring an actual update, they'd make available to satellite installers little transmitter boxes that hook up to the RF IN, so they can do house calls, even walk-in center service to update these converter boxes with very little overall cost to the manufacturer, as opposed to a recall-type effort.

Zoowey

DTVUSA Rookie
It's probably a leftover component of the "house call service" code that was copied from the zinwell satellite receivers the CECB is based on. If there is a huge nationwide firmware problem requiring an actual update, they'd make available to satellite installers little transmitter boxes that hook up to the RF IN, so they can do house calls, even walk-in center service to update these converter boxes with very little overall cost to the manufacturer, as opposed to a recall-type effort.
Understood. The box is working great, I just like to have the most up-to-date software/firmware because it usually provides better stability and more features but as you said they probably only would update the firmware if something really major was wrong with it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll leave this issue alone for now since everything is working great. Thanks for all the replies.

G

Ubique

Thanks everyone. I had the same question a 1inxs and I have arrived at he same conclusion. Beside, trying to contact Zinwell support is a nightmare.