How To Upgrade To Windows 7 From Windows XP

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Can you upgrade from XP to Vista and then Windows 7?

In the same article they say:

2. The sheer number of under-the-hood differences between XP and 7 makes an in-place upgrade infeasible. The general rule of thumb with such things is that you can only upgrade one generation at a time: XP to Vista, Vista to 7, but not XP to 7.
so why didn't they list it in addition to their 3 part "What You Can Do" list?

Piggie

Super Moderator
I am sure someone will disagree with me. But every time I have upgraded OS, I have had infinitely better results with a clean install. Every time, every upgrade from Windows.

If you keep your data on a drive other the C, then you only wipe out the OS and the installed programs. If you use stuff like My Documents to store your stuff, then you need to stop and move all data off drive C before you upgrade.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Piggie speaks the truth. You're best off backing up your more precious data (like po- er... family photos) and just clearing out the whole shebang in one go, then do a clean install. Infinitely-better results indeed.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Wait a second wait wait wait. This is the new version of f-en windows already? WTF happened to Vista???? I just bought a computer last year and now there's another operating system!?>?@@@>>

Piggie

Super Moderator
Piggie speaks the truth. You're best off backing up your more precious data (like po- er... family photos) and just clearing out the whole shebang in one go, then do a clean install. Infinitely-better results indeed.
My wife's computer would not recognize the built in video upgrading from W2K to XP SP2. I cleaned off the drive and clean install of XP and not only did the video work better but it ran noticeably faster, probably because the registry was "blank".

Two rules

1) do not store any data at all on Drive C, ever never, never.

1.5) Save your profiles to programs that have them. Common ones are Firefox, (I think you can save Lookout Exploiter setting and mail? I don't use it.) Filezilla allows you to save profile. Many other's, do a little research on saving data from a program.

1.55) One you have exhausted all things you can back up......

2) do a clean install

PSS: It's also a good time to do a high level format on the drive. Keeping it's sector marks fresh.