How To Watch The London 2012 Olympics

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I posted this on my blog this morning after answering many questions from people who are seeking Olympics coverage. I hope you all will find it helpful.

Where To Watch The London 2012 Olympics

olympic-logo.thumbnail.jpg There's been a lot of searching on the internet by people looking for ways to watch the 2012 London Olympics. I've done a little research and find there's more then one way to see Olympic games. This is by no means a complete listing of sources, and it will be updated if I become aware of other sources. If you have found coverage that isn't listed here, please feel free to update this information by adding a comment here.

Read The Full Story Here: http://cachefreetv.blogspot.com/2012/07/where-to-watch-london-2012-olympics.html

Last edited:
The olympics arent on OTA there?
Yes, but most people don't have OTA TV here. In the words of my landlord: "We don't need an antenna. Everybody has cable."

Also, the OTA coverage is just the basic coverage. If you pay for it online, you can theoretically get every event as it happens in real time.

Rick

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
We have every event with australians on ota (and a few other feature events). 19hrs every day including recaps/repeats and highlights. On two channels (1x SD and 1x HD). If you live in a large capital city you even get 5hrs of olympic 3D TV on OTA.

If you do have pay television here, you get 8x 24/7 HD channels.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
If you have an antenna or basic cable here in the USA, you will get only what your local NBC affiliate feeds you, and it's not usually live due to the time difference. Another NBC network, Telemundo, is also broadcasting in Spanish, showing different events. Some near the Canadian border can get coverage from CTV with an antenna as well.

Now, if you have an expensive pay TV package, you would get lots more channels and access to online content. Otherwise, you're stuck or you have to be creative and find international content online with your computer or streaming device.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
We have every event with australians on ota (and a few other feature events). 19hrs every day including recaps/repeats and highlights. On two channels (1x SD and 1x HD). If you live in a large capital city you even get 5hrs of olympic 3D TV on OTA.

If you do have pay television here, you get 8x 24/7 HD channels.
NBC, who has the broadcast rights to the Olympics in the United States was recently purchased by cable giant Comcast (A.K.A. Comtrash, Comcrap, or on NBC's 30 Rock as "Kabletown"). To try and use the Olympics as a marketing "tool" for cable they are restricting access to live events. Most of the events on the broadcast channel are time delayed, while the live streams are being restricted to cable customers only.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
There's nothing wrong with that. It's business, and odds are that any other cable or satellite company who owned such an event would do the same thing.

MrPogi

Staff member
There's nothing wrong with that. It's business, and odds are that any other cable or satellite company who owned such an event would do the same thing.
I have no problem with profit. But - the last Olympics, BEFORE Comcast bought NBC/Universal, were available on NBC, NBC/Universal Sports (Which is now a cable only network since the merger), and online for everyone in the USA - FOR FREE (Advertiser supported). And they seemed to make a profit from it.

Please note that it's difficult and expensive to sign up for just one month of pay TV, just to watch the Olympics. In fact, you will have to commit to a two year contract if you get it from Dish or DirecTV.

Your ability to watch the Olympics is being tied to what TV package you pay for. Why doesn't NBC allow you to pay ala carte for the Olympics online? Because they are owned by Comcast now.

G

you can catch up for the london olympics on star sports, but that mainly depends on what type of connection you have as do you have basic or cable connection at your home