How well do they stand up to weather?

SpoiledAngel

DTVUSA Jr. Member
When you are dealing with satellite dishes how well do they stand up to weather conditions such as rain and high winds?

Currently I have COX digital cable and have very few issues but it looks like there are a lot of deals and discounts on a lot of the satellite dish services such as Dish Network.

My dish has been installed for close to 4 years now. With the occasional needed adjustment, it has not given me any problems for quality of reception. No fading or degradation either. We get a lot of rain (no snow), and a lot of sun, so I would say that it can stand up to weather pretty well. I think there's some type of warranty with dishes also, I'll try to find it later, gotta run for now.

Get Direct TV with a Tivo, you'll never go back. :p

SpoiledAngel

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thank you for that. I always wondered if they would have some serious issues with the rain and snow. We are in the process of moving back to Washington state and I want to make sure that whatever I end up going with is going to work with the ever changing weather patterns up there.

Thank you for that. I always wondered if they would have some serious issues with the rain and snow. We are in the process of moving back to Washington state and I want to make sure that whatever I end up going with is going to work with the ever changing weather patterns up there.
during heavy rain and snow you can experience loss of signal due to signal fade, as can happen even with over the air digital signals. this can happen off and on during rian or snow storms.:)

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
I haven't had many problems with our Dish. We live on the top of a hill and it is always really windy here. The wind doesn't bother the dish here.

If there is alot of snow, we have had to go outside and wipe the snow off the dish or it goes off and on.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
My father-in-law had two dishes. One was mounted on its own and had a diameter of maybe 8 feet, and the other was the newer smaller kind that attached to the house.

He lives in an area that gets plenty of snow, and he's had no problem from it other than some reception issues in extreme weather.

misha

DTVUSA Member
When I went to my cabin up north, there are many times where a simple wind gust would knock out my frequency momentarily. Since dish is the only way I can get good channels up there, I have to stay with it.

If you have your dish secured down correctly, and everything is in working order, you should be good almost through everything.

Most people who complain about their dish losing signal is because they did not connect it correctly to the house or base support.

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
I tend to lose signal if it is very bad weather. It is usually fine though. Dish Network is alot cheaper, but you have to deal with a bad signal every once in a blue moon.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I loose the signal during bad thunderstorms (the worst part of the storm) and sometimes heavy snow.

If the snow is wet, it might stick to the dish so it needs to be removed. One of my 2 dishes is out of reach so a good hit with a snow ball does the trick.

Never in the 9 years I have been with Dish have I ever needed re-aiming.