How would like to control each light fixture on your smartphone?

James

DTVUSA Member
I admit it. I carry my smartphone with me around the house. I slip it in my pajama pocket. I have it on the coffee table. Weird. Sometimes I want to push it away..to disconnect. I can if I want to. Oh..the point of this post. Samsung is rolling out some household LED bulbs that will connect to your phone. You will be able to dim them, control them, etc right from the device that never leaves your side. Part of me likes to walk over the turn the darn things on and off. But OTOH how many times have you been nice and comfy and thought "I gotta get up and turn off that light." Now you can dim it without ever getting off your butt.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
Personally I think the dangers and cost outweigh the convenience. Electronic devices and accounts can be hacked - how would you like to have a criminal from another country shut off your lights and ransom you to turn them back on? How would you like robbers to shut off the lights (and operate any other connected devices) before they break in to your home? Or simply imagine your phone battery dies, and you have to stumble around in the dark until you find your charger.

Yes, perhaps I'm going to extremes here, but I do remember reading about problems with just these sort of controllable lights (though it was so long ago I can't really cite where it was). I am no luddite or technophobe, but there are just some things that I don't want connected to my cell phone - especially not without proper manual backups and fail-safes, which I doubt they have.

James

DTVUSA Member
I do get what you are saying. We can can so locked into remotes and non-hands-on technology that we will be helpless fools if the tech goes down.