HR54 Genie - Won't connect to internet wirelessly, and keeps losing hard-wired ethern

Hi, Yesterday A DirecTV tech showed up at my home at my request to upgrade my ancient DVR to an HR54. I discovered after the tech left that he did not connect the HR54 to my local home internet. I first attempted to call the DirecTV 800 number and got the robo-answerer. I told her that I wanted to speak with someone in tech support, and asked me to be more specific. I told the robo-answerer that I was having problems with the internet connections, and she proceeded to try to forward me to a department that had nothing to do with tech support (I know, my call is important to you, yada, yada, yada...). When I try to connect to the internet wirelessly, the attempt fails after typing in my passphrase through the number keys on the remote. The failure yields a code of 86-547. I then tried to connect via hard-wired ethernet. And after a bit of fiddling, got connected to the internet. After listening to Pandora for about 1 song and 1/2, the internet connection was dropped. I've reset the satellite box. I've reset all routers, to no avail. I would welcome ideas. By the way, I am no novice to computers, internet, ethernet, etc. I am a retired MIT Computer Scientist

This question, "HR54 Genie - Won't connect to internet wirelessly, and keeps losing hard-wired ethernet connections.," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.