HTPC - Home Theater Computer

Has anybody gone this route? It'll probably be my next upgrade. I'd love to go wireless for internet access, but I don't know if it's fast enough for streaming HD.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'm currently building one. The problem I find is MS Windows Media Center incorporates too much security. The security is to protect the MPAA and this limits certain things I like to use my own personal HTPC for. I don't use MS products on any of 4 PCs in our household. I use the Linux based OS. I will probably go with Mythbuntu. Some problems you get using Linux is quality video and audio board drivers. With a lot of work I think it will be fun. Make sure to post back with what you build and how it works. In order to stream HD I believe you need a minimum of 5 Mbps and more preferable is 7 Mbps. I think HD streaming is still a few years away.

Thank you, 1inxs, I like the mini tower setup idea. I've got minimal space near my couch that I'd like to put the PC. In fact, it's where I've got everything else mounted. One of my concerns is heat so I'm sure I'll have to add some fans to keep everything cool. I just don't want a lot of noise either. Hmmmm decisions decisions decisions. :thumb:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
One of my concerns is heat so I'm sure I'll have to add some fans to keep everything cool. I just don't want a lot of noise either. Hmmmm decisions decisions decisions. :thumb:
The heat isn't a factor in the mini tower HTPCs. In a standard tower you have numerous pci boards with a lot of other options heating up the tower. With a mini HTPC you have a basic motherboard which has most everything onboard. This keeps the heat down. Do a google there are some very cool (pardon the pun) and quiet HTPC mini towers available.

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member
Thank you, 1inxs, I like the mini tower setup idea. I've got minimal space near my couch that I'd like to put the PC. In fact, it's where I've got everything else mounted. One of my concerns is heat so I'm sure I'll have to add some fans to keep everything cool. I just don't want a lot of noise either. Hmmmm decisions decisions decisions. :thumb:
There is such thing as fanless PCs and HTPCs.

Good to know! I've been thinking about using this page Building The Perfect HTPC (Media PC), Capable Of Playing 1080P H264 | beer planet sort of as a guide specs and all but I'm a little iffy on the Diamond Multimedia XtremeSound 7.1 Sound Card (XS71DDL), it doesn't have digital optical output.
Diamond Multimedia XtremeSound 7.1 Sound Card (XS71DDL) has optical in/out. Here are the reviews for it on newegg mentioning this fact: Customer Reviews Of DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71DDL 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Has anybody gone this route? It'll probably be my next upgrade. I'd love to go wireless for internet access, but I don't know if it's fast enough for streaming HD.
I don't think streaming HD should be a problem even if you use wireless. By now, the least technology any wifi card should have should be Wireless G which is capable of going as fast as 54mbps. The key should be a stable internet connection and that is something you can get from a reliable broadband ISP. If you're on dial-up, don't even think of loading youtube.com.