Hulu plans subscription fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, with the plan to implement subscription fees, has Hulu just shot itself in the foot? I love Hulu but will stop using the site when the fees begin.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Hulu has probably always planned to implement subscription fees. No reasonable person could possibly have through that online advertising alone was a satisfactory revenue model for paying for quality television programming. So their plan probably was to just get folks hooked on the idea of online video distribution: The convenience, the ready-access, the "sticking it to the cable company" aspect, etc. And then exploit that for profit once folks are hooked.

Whether it will succeed or not is up in the air. It is pretty clear that Hulu would not succeed as a non-subscription service. So they surely have to try this, rather than just give up and go out of business.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
PayPal was once free, and people have kept using it. Hulu's been around for a few years now. All good things, as they say. I, however, will not use it when it charges. I won't pay for internet TV. What I am curious about is Fancast, which is essentially Hulu for Comcast customers. I wonder what the plans are there.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
My understanding is that Fancast will be available for free to Comcast subscribers -- essentially, it will give you access to whatever you already have access to through your cable, just wherever you happen to be.

Orrymain

Well, that's something then. Comcast does give some great perks from time to time, so that works for me, even if I have gripes about other parts of their service.

PayPal is still free to sign up. i mean, you obviously still need to 'pay' to use it on sites, i mean, it's a payment service which links to your bank account.

the only problem is that they've made a credit card mandatory. that is, you can have a regular checking account and have a paypal balance by transferring from your bank account to paypal, but try to use it on Ebay you get:

Add a new credit card

why i can't use my existing paypal balance or my bank account like a year ago is beyond me. i had to use the painful experience of getting a COMPATIBLE Visa Debit prepaid card. i went through about 3 that were incompatible but the one which worked was a Dollar General Money Network Visa pre-paid. sheesh a lot of hell to just buy something cheap on Ebay.

I don't believe in so-called 'credit cards' i prefer to not mess up my life with debt and prefer to have everything i buy 'paid for'. my home is 'paid for', my car is 'paid for' my golf cart is 'paid for' i don't like the thought of that looming 'bill' or worse, having nothing funds-wise to pay it with when it comes with + interest.

Credit cards are portable loans. i don't like loans nor do i trust using them.

Last edited:

Orrymain

I know I brought it up, but don't get me started on the PayPal/eBay thing. I think it's all bogus. The changes they've made on eBay now force you to pay a certain way and since eBay owns PayPal, it's all collusion in my book.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Since eBay owns PayPal, it is, by definition, not "collusion".

You don't like these things: credit cards, PayPal, etc. It's just that. If you don't like them, then do without the services that require you to use them. Most of these things you don't like are such that they offer the merchants the ability to serve their overriding objectives better. You don't have to cooperate, but neither do they have to kowtow to your preferences. When the terms and conditions are amenable to both sides, that's great. If they're not, then simply don't do business. Do without. No harm. No foul.

Orrymain

Sorry disagree. I don't just buy on eBay, I've sold on eBay, and a lot, but I am just a person, not a business. What eBay has done is shunned the very people who made them successful in the first place. I'm not alone in this. You'll find a lot of unhappy sellers. Buyers aren't that thrilled either. They are being forced to use PayPal when they want to. It's turning into a monopoly with absolutely no choice.

Orrymain

Your post is unclear. A) Who are you talking to and B) What word are you speaking of and C) Why are you making the claim you are making?

Orrymain

Bicker, go bicker with yourself because I know that's what you like to do. I asked an honest question and you decide to answer like a child. That says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.