Hulu Plus Commercials - Too Many!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm tired of paying for this service and wasting time with watching commercials. It used to only be a commercial or two every 15 minutes or so, now it's every 10 minutes with some shows.

I mean for $7.99, what exactly are we paying for? Either offer the shows for free and show commercials or charge us and no commercials!

That is my issue. If I'm being charged why am I forced to watch commercials? I'm trying to avoid commercial by purchasing this service. Netflix doesn't have this issue but it also doesn't have everything I want to watch.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I personally love netflix. Just because of no commercials. But at the same time, I don't actually watch it that much. But my kids do. So it works out. But I do watch netflix once a day. Mostly dinner time or before my husband goes to bed for the night. Just to do something with him.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
There are fewer commercials that there would be on regular broadcast television, but I agree that having commercials at all on a pay service is pretty galling. Actually, my biggest beef with them is that they run the SAME commercials over and over and over again. While binge-watching a show to catch up I was driven insane by the repetitive nature of the advertisements.

Last fall their CEO said he was thinking of scaling back the ads, or offering an ad-free service for a higher monthly fee: CEO: Hulu Plus Eyeing Ad-Free Streaming | Home Media Magazine

That's exactly how I feel about Hulu Plus. I also don't like the way they have to reel you in by only letting you watch x number of episodes of shows for free. What's the point in that?

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Marketing gotta pull people in somehow but netflixs 7.99/month works for what i need, I used hulu back when everything was free but since they switched i also switched

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
There are fewer commercials than there would be on regular broadcast television, but I agree that having commercials at all on a pay service is pretty galling. Actually, my biggest beef with them is that they run the SAME commercials over and over and over again. While binge-watching a show to catch up I was driven insane by the repetitive nature of the advertisements.
Kind of like paying for cable TV and still having ads, huh? Yes, all sites that stream with ads repeat the same commercials endlessly, I would mind it less if they would give us some variety.

No Hulu + for me, everything I want to watch is on Hulu Free and delivered to my TV via Roku using PlayOn. Yea I have to watch their commercials too OR with PlayOn, I can pause, allow it to buffer for 5 minutes, then skip the commercials. Just like using a DVR to skip! Hulu free with the ability to skip ads - Winning!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
What do you mean they only let you watch x number of episodes of shows for free?
If you have Hulu free, you can only see a limited number of episodes for some shows. I get around this by NOT watching those old shows! Try to catch new episodes within a few weeks of when they first air, before they expire. Another workaround is finding those old series on Netflix, or Amazon.

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
If you have Hulu free, you can only see a limited number of episodes for some shows. I get around this by NOT watching those old shows! Try to catch new episodes within a few weeks of when they first air, before they expire. Another workaround is finding those old series on Netflix, or Amazon.
An old friend of mine used to Hi-Jack any surrounding internet to get around this, I believe he said it is now PC based lol... I guess his Hi-Jacked internet users complained they couldn't watch anything, as usually sat there watching shows for hours when he felt the need to catch up. I'm certain there could be a work around now with IP changers/Virtual Machines/Mac addy changers. A lot of work though. Netflix is all I pay for. Kids love it, so no fighting over what I want to watch...

I wish they would implement a sort of DVR setup on these streaming movie company's. As, while I'm at work, my internet could be filling a temporary/SDcard/Thumbdrive with content I plan to watch later, that way I can watch it without worrying if the kids are eating the internet or any other scenario. I know there is other means to get content in this manner, but legally, it would resolve a lot of problems for end-users. Netflix premium would be nice too! Newer content faster... Of course both of my ideas would come with a price, and be much like a new cable bill (at least I could enjoy it though)!!! Back to the main topic, I couldn't find enough of what I wanted on Hulu Plus to see paying for that service as well as Netflix, as Netflix is commercial free, and has much more content for kids (this was based on when I had it years ago).

KrissB

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I agree that Hulu has too many ads (and especially, too many repeat ads) for a paid service. They also have a lot of other problems.

Last fall their CEO said he was thinking of scaling back the ads, or offering an ad-free service for a higher monthly fee: CEO: Hulu Plus Eyeing Ad-Free Streaming | Home Media Magazine
Yeah, right. This will never happen. Hulu can't even decide whether to sell itself or not, or which content to have. And it's not an independent company, it is owned by the same TV corporations that get a majority of their revenue from advertising. They're not going to create a service that can actually compete with cable (which also has ads). They're doing everything possible to make Hulu suck just enough so people have it AND cable.

Plus, that dude was replaced as CEO about a month after he said that: Hulu officially announces its new CEO, former Fox exec Mike Hopkins

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
What does that mean to hijack someone's internet? Is it sort of you'd hack into their wi-fi?
Yes, even WPA2 wifi routers can be hacked. Many think it is not possible, but I have watched my friend break the passwords in minutes.

Once he thought his computer locked up showing me, but the router had a very long password, and about a minute later it popped up showing the password.

There are some routers that can be set to disable numerous wireless ping requests from the same MAC address. This is a very complex topic, but it is possible to buy routers that eliminate most attempts, if not all attempts.

Also, the first sign of your router being hijacked, slow internet speed (check with speedtest.net, compare results with your internet speed advertised). If your router is hijacked, any shared info on any computer connected to that router (wireless or wired) could be compromised (attacked by the router's hijacker). While this is a rare occurrence, it is always a possibility. You could Google this but it is not advertised much as the hijackers prefer to not raise suspicion of the tools they use, but I'm sure you can find some older tools that used to work, possibly new ones that do. The old ones as well as the new ones are very elaborate. I am a computer technician, and watching him break into a router seemed like a lot of work, but it pays off for the hijacker if it does work.

I believe at that point it is an illegal act? If anyone else chimes in on this topic of this post. I probably went a bit overboard, but being informed is hardly ever a bad thing!

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
I don't think that Hulu can increase price for a no-ads experience because they're already trying to keep up with Hulu. To make it more expensive would spell death for the site. They need to just suck it up and be satisfied with that chunky subscription fee.