Hulu Versus (VS) Netflix, a comparison for the average consumer, Hulu Plus - Netflix?

Streaming television is domniated by two major compettitors. Hulu Plus and Netflix. Hulu Plus versus Netflix. Hulu Plus VS Netflix. The game is the same, one major streaming service against the next. Each has its' wn charms and redeeming qualities, but which service fits your lifestyle the best. That's what I hope to acheive in this blog. I will not offer an biases, simply a review of both services, in order for you (the consumer) to make an educated decision.

First up a basic evaluation of each service-

Second we will take a look at Netflix, considering this is my longest membership (save Hot Rod Magazine) I will present the newer and major competition in hopes of making a fair and just comparison.

HULU

Hulu Plus is a subscription that might be considered a must have for the person on the go. If you live in the Bay Area and rely on BART or live in New York and rely on the subway, or anyone who is looking for some entertainment on the go, Hulu is your choice. If data is a limit on your plan, I have found that Hulu is about 1/2 as much data usage as Netflix, I can watch a 1 hour show and use less than 80 MB!!!!!! Any Netflix show is usually about 500MB for every hour. So if you are wireless streaming on a limited plan the choice is obvious.

As far as selection The major argument would be wether you desire entire series AFTER they have completed and gone of air, of if you are using these services to subplant the cost of cable. With Comcast, Astound, and DirectTV continually raising prices it can be expensive to experience new and current TV. But Hulu has about 90% of these programs for $7.99 a month!

Hulu offers trailers, every new show (except those on CBS...), and almost an identical movie collection to Netflix. If you do not have cable, and want current TV, there is no question Hulu is the correct choice for you. You can add a subscription to ESPN and get all their aired games on basically any wireless blu-ray, Wii, PS3,
PS4, Xbox 360, or Xbox One. So for the total cost of ESPN service and Hulu you pay $17.98 a month and get 90% of current TV shows, all of Comedy Central's shows, anything Viacom (Netflix LOST that contract), and ALL ESPN broadcasted sports including the olympics. If you want Comedy Central, VH1, MTV, and current episodes Hulu is the clear choice.

Netflix

Netflix has one major and solidifying feature that NO other service offers... NO COMMERCIALS... Another huge bonus is the availability of entire seasons. If you are not familiar with a show or want to watch it from the beginning and get a full view of a show, then Netflix is your choice. Most shows are released about a month or two after they have completed the season, but at that point you get the entire season added, and no episodes will disappear like the do on Hulu.

Netflix also has a few contractual agreements with movie studios so you definitely receive an influx of current movies on a regular basis. For instance Tyler Perry's Temptation (yuck!), Crossing Lines, Best Man Down, and The Croods were recently added. So the selection of movies is much more current and includes new releases, whereas Hulu does not.

When it comes to exclusive programming there is no comparison, Netflix is 10x greater than Hulu. Hulu has terrible shows such as Mother Up, East Los High (lowest rated new show of 2014...), and the Awesomes (terrible waste of Seth Meyers). Compared to Netflix where you have the Emmy award winning Arrested Develpment and House of Cards, just to name two. The fact that 2 shows outshadow and entire services exclusive line-up demonstrates the star-power, and finesse that Netflix has acheived.

I am not here to sway your opinion either way. I subscribe to both services and will continue to do so. I do not pay for cable, I tried that and it was far more expensive for less features. I can watch Hulu and Netflix on my phone and tablet, so no matter where I am neither service ever fails. If you are looking for a system to use on your wireless account, Hulu uses much less data per minute. But if you are looking for exclusive content and a more current movie selection Netflix is a solid choice.

The most essential step in deciding which service fits your interests the most is to create a list of the programs you are most likely to watch on a daily basis. If comedy and current episodes the day after they air Hulu is for you, but if you prefer exclusive dramas, and entire series from start to finish Netflix is the clear decision.

In my honest opinion if you forgo the overpriced cable, and simply get internet service (I pay $14.99 a month for 100mb/s service) you can add both Netflix and Hulu, and ESPN, for a total of $34.98 a month I get all these choices, and don't have to deal with long term contracts or cancellation fees. If you do not watch your cable TV for 3-4 hours a day then cancel that, get a solid internet connection speed and subscribe to both services. Cale is much less complete, and over-charges for their service. Considering there is literally nothing, and I'm not exaggerating there is NOTHING, you cannot find on the internet, a high-speed connection will always prove a better investment than cable

G

You forgot to mention Hulu has ads, 9 for an hour long show. It also freezes a lot. Between ads and loading times, I could watch 3 shows on netflix to 1 on hulu.

It is called ESPN GO, the website is ESPN.go.com, just many websites a day there are multiple options for pricing, depending on content. You can also always just borrow a friends access if they have cable, all you need is their log-in.

It seems like the ads on Hulu have gotten longer over time. Do you think we'll see this improve? Or just stay the same so the folks at Hulu continue to work on their bottom line?

G

I switched from Hulu to Netflix because Hulu was always freezing up, mostly just after commercials. Netflix has never frozen up and I get perfect streaming, maybe explains the difference in MB use. I will pay for a service that delivers, not one that is constantly giving a black screen.

CaliTVguy;bt1611 said:
It seems like the ads on Hulu have gotten longer over time. Do you think we'll see this improve? Or just stay the same so the folks at Hulu continue to work on their bottom line?

I think it depends on what you are watching and on what device. When watching a 1-hour show on my cell phone/tablet I only get 4x 30 sec commercial breaks for the whole episode. But in comparison if I watch South Park (1/2 hour) on my Wii I get 4x 1.5min breaks.

Unregistered;bt1630 said:
I switched from Hulu to Netflix because Hulu was always freezing up, mostly just after commercials. Netflix has never frozen up and I get perfect streaming, maybe explains the difference in MB use. I will pay for a service that delivers, not one that is constantly giving a black screen.

I had not experienced this in the 6 months Ive had Hulu, until the past couple weeks. I have determined Hulu creates occassional IP conflicts on your router. Using 3G it has never ever lagged or disconnected, and each time it stalled on my Wii and Blu-ray player my computer alerted me of an IP conflict.

Netflix can be laggy, and it often plays pixelated before the program loads a problem I have not encountered with Hulu.

Both definitely have issues, which is why I have both!

G

Boy, I'd jump on this if I could find internet for 14.99; the best price I've found is 34.99 plus all the ridiculous fees/taxes of cable. sigh. I'm still gonna switch because cable has gotten so ridiculous, 900 channels and nothing is on worth watching, but I don't think it will save me much money. thanks for the info it helps.

Unregistered;bt1633 said:
Boy, I'd jump on this if I could find internet for 14.99; the best price I've found is 34.99 plus all the ridiculous fees/taxes of cable. sigh. I'm still gonna switch because cable has gotten so ridiculous, 900 channels and nothing is on worth watching, but I don't think it will save me much money. thanks for the info it helps.

Where do you live? Have you checked which ISP's are available in your area. Sometimes it really helps if you call them on the phone, they are more likely to cut you a deal. If you know the details of other services they will always try and offer a better deal, you just gotta put some time and effort into seeking out the best price

G

You can change how much data netflix uses within an hour through the settings. The only thing is that you will not be able to watch Good shows in hi definition if you lower it but if your limited on data then its a good sacrifice.

Unregistered;bt1653 said:
You can change how much data netflix uses within an hour through the settings. The only thing is that you will not be able to watch Good shows in hi definition if you lower it but if your limited on data then its a good sacrifice.

Yeah I actually tried this and I changed to 480P on my iPhone5 and it was blurry and pixelated. For old shows I'm sure it would be fine but House of Cards was unbearable on my phone. I think this is why it is important to have both Hulu and Netflix if you rely on streaming. You get the best of both and can optimize the strengths of each.