humming noise over sound

jbaird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Converter works w/ picture, but all sound has a humming of varied loudness that overrides track.

My call to the manufacturer's number (Access brand) led me thru a labyrinthine menu and then to another phone numbe with its labyrinthine menu till a real person (who sounded kind of sleepy) listened to me and said she could only give me the number of the FTC, where I could lodge a complaint.

She said there had been a lot of similar complaints, but my search of this forum yielded no "hits" that describe MY converter's problem.

none of mine hum at all, the only one that does something like that is the Apex i use in my bedroom but it only hums/buzzes when i have a menu or the guide open. not when watching TV. if you're using the composite cables or a cheap RF cable (like the one that comes with the box, really bad quality) i would say the cables are cheap or you have a bad connection somewhere.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Converter works w/ picture, but all sound has a humming of varied loudness that overrides track.

My call to the manufacturer's number (Access brand) led me thru a labyrinthine menu and then to another phone numbe with its labyrinthine menu till a real person (who sounded kind of sleepy) listened to me and said she could only give me the number of the FTC, where I could lodge a complaint.

She said there had been a lot of similar complaints, but my search of this forum yielded no "hits" that describe MY converter's problem.
Turn the converter volume to maximum and control the volume through your television or surround receiver if connected. This should eliminate the humming.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Try what 1inxs said, and if that doesn't work, try a new set of cables. Are you using a single coax or the 3 connector RCA cord? Does the humming noise come out of the converter itself or from your speakers?

jbaird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the replies.

Using the co-ax issued with the box.

One online suggestion was to turn the TV volume to 0 and use the converter remote alone.

Tried that and no workee.

My TV runs thru a DVD player and amp to get to my speakers. When I squeeze the co-ax terminals sometimes the hum will increase/decrease.

The co-ax are push-on. Would the threaded connector work better? Have to hump it to Radio Slack for those.

My dilemma partly lies in fact that DVD player and all the other non DTV channnels I get do fine with no hum.

Curiously also, I had a 120 volt power booster on antenna, that I unplugged completely, and other channels come in fine thru converter.

Last edited:

pestocat

DTVUSA Rookie

Anyone here have similar experience?
A couple suggestions.
1. Get a top quality unit such as the Zenith DTT-901
2. Turn the volume down on the TV and up on the converter box. This last solution will probably take care of the problem.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
My TV runs thru a DVD player and amp to get to my speakers. When I squeeze the co-ax terminals sometimes the hum will increase/decrease.

The co-ax are push-on. Would the threaded connector work better? Have to hump it to Radio Slack for those.
Definitely sounds like a cable/connection/grounding issue. Does the converter box connect to the amp through, then to the TV, (using coax for both connections)? Is there anyway you can use a composite connection into the amp/receiver?

Can you connect the converter box directly to the TV, (just to try and isolate which unit or cable is causing the humming noise).

push-on coax cables suck. they also cause grainy picture problems too. get a higher quality threaded cable and make sure it's on tight. it may help your antenna connection if you're using a push-on for that, too. the fact you can eliminate the problem by tweaking the coax cable is proof.

jbaird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for replies.

Touch/squeeze of connections doesn't eliminate, just modulates.

Direct Converterbox to TV also has same hum, so it's not the DVD/amp etc., plus is not even in connections TV signal of yet to be digitized channels' "passing thru" converter.

It appears to be isolated somehow in the DTV signal thru the box.

jbaird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
All the volume uppy/downy combos yield the same.

I went to captlA's link and printed the article. The hum is only present with the DTV signal from DTV stations. Could a ground loop be associated with just that kind of signal?

Looked to me like it should be associated with any signal at all thru the converter.

my little 1985 tv thats hooked up to my Artec t3AP has a similar problem. The picture has all lines running through it when I have i have the box and a channel on. When I put pressure on the RF cable the lines dissapear and when I let go the lines start bouncing up the screen again. No humming noise though.

i had those lines too and the noise in sound until i put real screw on high quality cables in.

the ones packaged with the boxes are merely 'get you by' cables to make sure you get what you need to get started, but they're of the lowest quality and i shell out more money on real cables which also help get the antenna to work better. push on cable was the #1 cause of fluctuating signals even in perfect weather. higher quality (and more expensive) coax cables really improved my DTV reception as well as the quality to the tv picture.

I also noticed that if you have cell phone anywhere near the TV room or where a TV is, esp if it's a GSM phone (has SIM Card) the noise is really bad. it's interference from the phone esp before it rings or when it's periodically transmitting to a tower. if you use cordless similar noise happens. do your speakers (assuming you have a SRS surround sound system) have EMI/RF shielding?

jbaird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
"...Does the humming noise come out of the converter itself or from your speakers?..."

It comes from the TV and from the stereo spkrs that go with the stereo system.

When first hooked up, only to TV, it came direct from box to TV.

I guess I will get some screw-on cables, but I highly suspect the box itself.

Funny that the retailer (Rite-Aid) advised not to bring box back to store if problems arise but to contact manufacturer.

Funny too that the manufacturer's phone number rleayed me through a labyrinth of menus till at last the human (I think) on the other end said only, "There've been a lot of complaints. All I can do is give you the FTC's complaint number, and I have no idea what is being done regarding those complaints."

Sounds like a throwing up of hands by the manufacturer.

I have a strong sense, especially after seeing the myriad choices of brand names of converter boxes available for coupon use, that there was a rush, nay a stampede to market by every manufacturer to get on the coupon list.

Funny to me too that Rite-Aid, heavy hitter that it is in retail markets, only carries one brand in a given store, and won't stand behind that product.

Alas when government money becomes available on a big scale it seems the scalier of us (that is, the snakes in the proverbial grass) tend to raise their heads in a hissing chorus.

I did at least do this. When asked how many coupons I wanted with max of two I got two, so that I can just chuck the cheapo I bought and get another with Uncle Sam's help.

My question then would be, "How much does one have to spend to get a box that actually works?"

As a diligent consumer I see my job as to choose the lower prices among items that claim to be of equal spec, and thereby give creedence to the great god of Competition, and all of the boons it bestows on our Magic Market.

Funny to me too that Rite-Aid, heavy hitter that it is in retail markets, only carries one brand in a given store, and won't stand behind that product.
Good question, and why is it that some of the bigger stores like Wal-Mart only carry 2-3 boxes. I guess they get a better deal with the converter box manuf. Helps move more units and lower costs. Kind of off topic, on business radio today, Radio Shack announced a good profit this quarter because of converter box sales.........

i had those lines too and the noise in sound until i put real screw on high quality cables in.

the ones packaged with the boxes are merely 'get you by' cables to make sure you get what you need to get started, but they're of the lowest quality and i shell out more money on real cables which also help get the antenna to work better. push on cable was the #1 cause of fluctuating signals even in perfect weather. higher quality (and more expensive) coax cables really improved my DTV reception as well as the quality to the tv picture.

I also noticed that if you have cell phone anywhere near the TV room or where a TV is, esp if it's a GSM phone (has SIM Card) the noise is really bad. it's interference from the phone esp before it rings or when it's periodically transmitting to a tower. if you use cordless similar noise happens. do your speakers (assuming you have a SRS surround sound system) have EMI/RF shielding?
I replaced the coax today and the lines dissapeared. It was the RF cable after all.

I thought the TV was on it's way out but it turns out it was the coax.

I've had a lot of issues with TVs that seemed to be 'dying'

Bad convergence (colors eminate from people like they're ghosts or omnipotent), lines which look like dying picture tubes (those diagonal lines that usually are the picture tube dying, refresh/scan lines), dim screens, bad color, washed out color, black and white,

ALL due to the simplest problem. bad cables. come to think of it, a lot of the most infuriating issues i have with my car are the same thing. small stuff.