Question: HVD-when will it be here?

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
I guess this technology is supposed to surpass Blue ray technology. Has anyone heard anything as to when a player may become available? It appears (from Wiki) that the first wave of technology won't be aimed at movies and the like but more for companies that need to store massive amounts of info.

Holographic Versatile Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No need for it. Blu-ray just won the format war with HD-DVD and DVDs are still selling. DVDs probably have another 5-8 years in them and until TVs go beyond 1080p ( and I don't see that for a LONG time ) blu-ray is just fine. HVD is going to be more for storage at the enterprise level.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I guess this technology is supposed to surpass Blue ray technology. Has anyone heard anything as to when a player may become available? It appears (from Wiki) that the first wave of technology won't be aimed at movies and the like but more for companies that need to store massive amounts of info.

Holographic Versatile Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Can hold 1 - 10 Terabyte?!?! and here I thought my 1 TB hard drive was big.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
That is some very interesting information. If the price on the technology doesn't come down Blu Ray is in no danger of going out of style to be honest.