I couldn't find an original TV Multiplex so....

With the help of a friend, i built one instead. out of an old Admiral stereo-only console. the picture isn't pretty (if i brightened the exposure enough to make the centre out it would make the screen look so bright it would distory) but you get the idea:

The thing was i have been scouring around flea market after flea market for a old 1960s Multiplex unit. the original 'entertainment centre' where it looks like a coffee table but it's not. hidden inside a beautiful piece of oak furniture was a TV/Phonograph/Radio tuner. the whole works were hidden when not in use and would throw off anyone into thinking it's just a piece of useless furniture. one of the Jetson's like of 1960s features. used to be whole homes had hidden TVs, Radios (even the night stands in some beds hid stereos) sewing machines, interchangeable countertops (where there was a blender or food processor sharing it as an attachment, meaning there was no need for buying each appliance separately) and even hide-a-way stoves. they were so futuristic and organized.

The older Multiplex Entertainment Centers stuck on me as they had superior stereo sound, and it was the way they hid everything into one unit. nowadays people buy fancy centers and buy each piece separately and then it shows all the time. borrrrring!

This one i had to do the hard way. as i stated there were many markets and thrift stores/goodwill stores but the only ones which actually had an older TV/Stereo/Phono, the first the TV was kaput (sound worked fine just three dots, red/green/blue dots, in center of the tube but no picture) and the second was really really dim and by the time i had fiddled with the 'gamma' and 'sensor eyes' and had a useable but crappy picture the thing started smoking. i immediately shut it off.

The rest were stereo-only. no TV. so i had an older non-functional stereo only one at home (the amp died last spring) so i gutted the stereo and record player part of it out and had someone i knew cut the center hole in front and still allowing the doors which hid the speakers to close to hide the TV. instead of a phono and stereo (my home has one built in with speakers wired all over i failed to see the point) i had the HDTV Tuner and VCR hidden. they're behind the original speaker grille which is accessible by flipping up the fabric and doing whatever. in normal viewing, like the picture you can simply use the front doors to hide those parts and just view the TV.

Crude, but effective. i wish i could find an original though.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
With the help of a friend, i built one instead. out of an old Admiral stereo-only console. the picture isn't pretty (if i brightened the exposure enough to make the centre out it would make the screen look so bright it would distory) but you get the idea:

The thing was i have been scouring around flea market after flea market for a old 1960s Multiplex unit. the original 'entertainment centre' where it looks like a coffee table but it's not. hidden inside a beautiful piece of oak furniture was a TV/Phonograph/Radio tuner. the whole works were hidden when not in use and would throw off anyone into thinking it's just a piece of useless furniture. one of the Jetson's like of 1960s features. used to be whole homes had hidden TVs, Radios (even the night stands in some beds hid stereos) sewing machines, interchangeable countertops (where there was a blender or food processor sharing it as an attachment, meaning there was no need for buying each appliance separately) and even hide-a-way stoves. they were so futuristic and organized.

The older Multiplex Entertainment Centers stuck on me as they had superior stereo sound, and it was the way they hid everything into one unit. nowadays people buy fancy centers and buy each piece separately and then it shows all the time. borrrrring!

This one i had to do the hard way. as i stated there were many markets and thrift stores/goodwill stores but the only ones which actually had an older TV/Stereo/Phono, the first the TV was kaput (sound worked fine just three dots, red/green/blue dots, in center of the tube but no picture) and the second was really really dim and by the time i had fiddled with the 'gamma' and 'sensor eyes' and had a useable but crappy picture the thing started smoking. i immediately shut it off.

The rest were stereo-only. no TV. so i had an older non-functional stereo only one at home (the amp died last spring) so i gutted the stereo and record player part of it out and had someone i knew cut the center hole in front and still allowing the doors which hid the speakers to close to hide the TV. instead of a phono and stereo (my home has one built in with speakers wired all over i failed to see the point) i had the HDTV Tuner and VCR hidden. they're behind the original speaker grille which is accessible by flipping up the fabric and doing whatever. in normal viewing, like the picture you can simply use the front doors to hide those parts and just view the TV.

Crude, but effective. i wish i could find an original though.
DTVuser2009, if there's supposed to be a picture attached, I don't see it. Would like to see it. :)

What is it with this site and the non-working BB Code? this is the third time that has happened?! i'll get a photobucket link up later. until then it's in my photo album, which i was told still works

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
What is it with this site and the non-working BB Code? this is the third time that has happened?! i'll get a photobucket link up later. until then it's in my photo album, which i was told still works
Part of the problem I see is the picture name which is dtvusaforum.com/members/dtvuser2009-albums-old-technology-picture136-1986-curtis-mathes-25-console-tv-i-always-loved-consoles-even-though-i-miss-hidden-ones-three-way-tv-stereo-phonograph-im-still-looking-consoles-were-original-entertainment-centers-they-had-their-early-days-built-stereos-record-players-some-newer-ones-8-tracks-cassettes-they-housed-them-three-way-configuration-where-tv-stereo-other-devices-were-using-same-speakers-were-far-superior-todays-standards-had-up-6-speakers-per-side-excellent-bass-output-two-large-subwoofers-treble-two-smaller-full-range-speakers-last-were-tweeters-stereo-tv-both-used-these-later-became-more-hip-use-furniture-add-every-piece-one-time-linked-through-mess-cable-i-just-cant-get-used-consoles-like-curtis-mathes-may-not-three-ways-yesteryear-but-still-have-excellent-provisions-dvd-changer-vcr-dvd-combo-top-tv-still-uses-vacuum-tubes-even-1986-has-sub-power-vacation-switch-designed-keep-tubes-warm-so-appears-come-up-instantly-no-waiting-picture-tubes-hv-side-still-very-noisy-until-set-warms-up-but-picture-reproduced-works-if-brand-new.jpg

A tad bit long there isn't it? ;)

I'll try it with the BB code now.

I cannot take all the credit, i'm not that handy with a jigsaw. but my next-door neighbor's boyfriend sure was. i had the joy of getting the massive thing indoors (easier with the TV and all out) and then the mess of wiring it all up and whatnot.

Three 12-dB amps, a 20" CRT General Electric TV set from 1984 (the simulated wood face helps too--this was the TV that exploded or shorted this summer and i had to fix) my Samsung tuner on one side hidden behind a speaker grille, and a Orion VCR on the other side the same way is the whole works. all the wiring is neatly bundled together and the original Admiral back panels still fit and enclose it. all i have to do now is eliminate the extension cord and wire up a few outlets to one cord as part of the centre so i don't have all of em going to the wall.