Question: I have a couple of questions.

I have a couple of questions.

My first question is: I have a pretty nice rooftop antenna and I find it difficult to receive channels 7 and 14. This is my TV fool report.
What can I do to improve reception? I have raised the antenna a lot. I have turned it and even added an amplifier. I want to use antenna TV as a backup for cable in times of bad weather.

My next question is: I may want to replace cable with antenna TV. I want to get as many channels on my "radar report" as possible. Which antenna do you recommend?

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
What kind of antenna do you have? (From what you are telling me, it appears it doesnt have VHF capability - Real channel 7 (virtual 7.1) and 13 (virtual 14.1) are VHF.

What channels do you currently get?

What amplifier do you currently have?

I will make up a quick guesstimate assuming you want all the channels from roughly 323degs magnetic

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
KODE - ABC
KSNF - NBC
KOZJ - OPT (PBS)
, OPT-ED, Create
KCLG - Ion, [qubo, IonLife - assumed] - not on same heading but LOS and close, little chance of issues here.
KCLJ - TBN (Religious), [multiple subchannels - assumed] - off-heading, but strong and likely currently fine. If put in higher gain antenna for other channels on 323degs, may lose this one.
KJPX - RTV [analog?] - off-heading, but strong and likely currently fine. If put in higher gain antenna for other channels on 323degs, may lose this one.
KOAM - CBS, Fox [SD simulcast of KFJX below] - VHF
KFJX - Fox - VHF
----- ^^^ Reasonably likely off a small, and well placed antenna ^^^ -----

KGCS - America One
K36II - KNLC (Religious) [retransmitter of KNLC St Louis]
----- ^^^ Reasonably likely off a midsized, and well placed antenna ^^^ -----

K41KX - GCN (Religious)
----- ^^^ Somehwat likely off a large, and well placed antenna ^^^ -----

KPJO - Unknown
----- ^^^ If you are very lucky off a very large, and well placed antenna ^^^ -----

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KNWA - NBC, Fox [SD simulcast of KFTA (Fox Fayetteville/Fort Smith)]
----- ^^^ May occasionally work off the back of the antenna, or not ^^^ -----
KXNW - MyNetwork [SD], CBS [HD simulcast of KFSM (CBS Fort Smith)]
----- ^^^ Requires sacrifice to the signal gods to come in off the back of the antenna, ever ^^^ -----

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearest CW:
KSPR - ABC, CW [HD simulcast of KFSM (Ozarks CW Springfield)] @72degs magn.

Would be a pain to mix in. Consider separate antenna systems and an A/B switch if its a must have. (or other options)

Are there any that you are willing to sacrifice? For example if you are not religious or TBN isnt your religious flavour, would you want to keep it? Were your extra channels on a different heading on a different heading?

My antenna does have both the VHF and UHF elements.
I have a Channel Master CM 2018.
I would be willing to sacrifice KCLG and/or KJPX.

I have a standard definition TV and an RCA DTA800. My area is pretty hilly and has lots of trees.

I would be willing to move the antenna. I would also be willing to buy a preamplifier.

KXNW - MyNetwork [SD], CBS [HD simulcast of KFSM (CBS Fort Smith)]
----- ^^^ Requires sacrifice to the signal gods to come in off the back of the antenna, ever ^^^ -----
What sort of sacrifice to the signal Gods would I need to get this? I would be willing to buy another antenna just to get the southern (Arkansas) stations.

I used to have a preamplifier, but I don't have one anymore. What kind would you recommend?

Last edited:
My 1st guess would be FM interference from one or more of the stations that you are VERY close to. Also, using the wrong amplifier can make things worse. What model amplifier are you using?

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Which stations do you want? (Best outcome)

Which stations do you need? (Worst outcome)

Which stations do you have now? (Starting point)

What sort of sacrifice to the signal Gods would I need to get this? I would be willing to buy another antenna just to get the southern (Arkansas) stations.

I used to have a preamplifier, but I don't have one anymore. What kind would you recommend?
Teehee, I was just joking to highlight the unlikelyhood of it coming in, when the antenna points the other way. Pointing antenna the correct way should bring it in, assuming big antenna and accurate TVFool.

Did you want out of market signals? Those who are affiliated with the same channels will obviously have alot of shared programming.

Which stations do you want? (Best outcome)
KOAM
KFJX
KODE
KSNF
KOZJ
KNWA
KXNW
KSPR
KFTA
KSFM
KHOG
KYTV

Which stations do you need? (Worst outcome)
KOAM
KFJX
KODE
KSNF
KOZJ

Which stations do you have now? (Starting point)
Last time I tried: KODE, KSNF, KOZJ, KJPX, KCLJ.

Did you want out of market signals? Those who are affiliated with the same channels will obviously have alot of shared programming.
Yes, I want out of market signals because I care about news from Arkansas.

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
NEED:
KOAM
KFJX
KODE
KSNF
KOZJ
HAVE: KODE, KSNF, KOZJ, KJPX, KCLJ.
Okay, well lets see what it will take to get you to bare minimum operations:
KOAM/KFJX- Need an antenna with better VHF capability, or search for a better location for existing VHF antenna. I dont think FM would be an issue if you arent amping, as there is a good 50ishMhz of other stuff between FM and VHF-High, If you are amping, make sure any FM filters are switched on, and make sure your antenna does not receive the FM band. EDIT: Looking at your antenna specs, it does receive FM, and the VHF section is log-periodic [low gain]
KODE - HAVE!
KSNF - HAVE!
KOZJ - HAVE!

Shouldnt be anything too hard, unless your location is significantly worse than what TVFool predicts... Its just a matter of finding out what hurting your VHF capabilities. VHF is usually more forgiving signal-wise, even with a 2edge diffraction. Is it possible to get the antenna above tree height?

WANT:
KNWA - UHF, 141degs - also on KFTA - Medium difficulty
KXNW - UHF, 141degs - also on KFSM - Hard
KSPR - UHF, 72degs - ABC/CW - Hard
KFTA - UHF, 168degs - also on KNWA - KFTA too weak
KFSM - UHF, 168degs - also on KXNW - Easier from KXNW
KHOG - UHF, 162degs - ABC/CW - Near impossible, even if aimed at heading
KYTV - UHF, 72degs - NBC/Weather - Very Hard
HAVE: KODE, KSNF, KOZJ, KJPX, KCLJ.
Yes, I want out of market signals because I care about news from Arkansas.
Unless you want several different antennas, or a convoluted system with a fixed antenna and a separate rotor antenna on a switch, I would suggest you chose one heading or the other, 141degs should be the easiest attainable (still hard, especially without a meter) with a large UHF antenna. Getting the 72degs stations would probably require a meter, unless you got real lucky. I wouldnt even bother with KHOG.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I guess your only option that isn't going to empty your pockets would be a well secured tripod mount.

That is a big beasty of an antenna, and probably overkill.

I dont think FM would be an issue if you arent amping, as there is a good 50ishMhz of other stuff between FM and VHF-High
True, but the 2nd & 3rd harmonics of FM can be just as detrimental to weak stations in the VHF-Hi band (& even UHF in extreme cases)
The 2nd harmonics of K285FD fall right on top of the weak VHF 13. KNEO's harmonics are close enough to VHF 7 that trying a trap would be worth the efort as well. No guarantees, but the trap is returnable if it doesn't help.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
True, but the 2nd & 3rd harmonics of FM can be just as detrimental to weak stations in the VHF-Hi band (& even UHF in extreme cases)
The 2nd harmonics of K285FD fall right on top of the weak VHF 13. KNEO's harmonics are close enough to VHF 7 that trying a trap would be worth the efort as well. No guarantees, but the trap is returnable if it doesn't help.
Its certainly not impossible to have VHF interference from the harmonics, just very unlikely. Id be more inclined to give it a try were they much closer to the NM, but thats just me, I could be wrong! :)

Chris, your antenna has good high VHF ability. :thumb: I really think the main thing is both KOAM and KFJX are 2Edge signals which vary greatly in reliability. You might also have to point the antenna in an upward direction, compared to your strong LOS (Line-Of-Sight) stations. Finally, if there are any trees or buildings in that directions, TVFool does NOT take those into account, and suddenly your 2Edge signal is a 3Edge -- pretty much a lost cause.

I would go step by step and concentrate on the cheapest options first. Work on getting KOAM and KFJX by moving around your current antenna, regardless of the effect on other channels. Move it all around, left/right/up/down, up to 40 degrees or so. Communicate with someone doing rescans on the TV with a cell phone. Cost = 0, except for the hassle (and safety considerations) which you may have to endure anyhow. If you can get those two stations, there might be a magic angle that pulls in most all of the stations with NM > +10. Or we could recommend a two antenna setup with a combiner.

If you have no luck there, try the FM trap. Definitely check out the tree situation, though. If there's a big forest in the way, you might want to forget it. :deadhorse:

Rick