I live in San Diego and need recommendations for antennas

cjayramone

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I live in San Diego and was wondering if I would be able to get channels from los Angeles? My zip code is 92114 and would like to get channels 2-69. I'm open to any suggestions to indoor or outdoor antennas. Even maybe adding an amplifier if it would help.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Could you please got to TVfool : TV Fool and answer the questions, then copy and paste the resulting URL link back here (It is in bold at the top of your results page)

Then we can give you better advice.

Doesn't look good. According to your TV Fool report, the stations in Los Angeles are 119 miles away and the signals are obstructed by two levels of terrain with noise margins ranging from -13.7 to -24.6 . Even worse, 4 of the 5 strongest LA stations are VHF, and VHF antennas just don't pull as much gain as UHF. After that you're down to NM = -20.8 .

Sorry to say, I think it's very unlikely you will get any kind of decent reception from LA. You could set up a huge outdoor Yagi and hope for tropospheric phenomena on a good day, but I'm curious -- why the preoccupation with Los Angeles? You can get a very nice lineup just sticking with stations less than 15 miles from your house.

If you want help with that, please enter the height of your roof for the height of your antenna. Right now TVF is using a default for the height, and some of those 2 edge signals might improve if you could get something up on the roof.

Rick

I just wanted to get more channels. I just wanted to know if it's possible before I start buying blindly
Well how many stations do you get now?? (Think stations, not channels. How many different X.1 channels, like 69.1, 51.1 ... Don't count 69.2 or whatever.)

A flatwave might work if you can put it in a window facing east -- unless there's a building in the way or a bunch of trees. You need to look for "line-of-sight." I doubt an amplifier would help you. Your signals are strong enough.

Getting you ABC and CBS will need a different kind of antenna -- a VHF antenna. And that one needs north-west line-of-sight. You can combine the UHF and VHF antennas with a UVSJ combiner. You can probably also get TheCW on XETV off the same VHF ant, but that comes from the opposite direction, so if you want to max out your good stations, it might be easier to put the whole thing up on the roof. Or at least put the VHF antenna on the roof. Otherwise ya got wires running all through the house to three different windows.

The Flatwave wouldn't be so good for the VHF stations (KFMB, KGTV and XETV). Might not be my first choice either way. Do you already own a Flatwave? I'm sure others will chime in.

Rick

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Getting LA is pretty much impossible for you, don't waste your time and money. Concentrate on what you can get.

Don't get an amplified antenna. You have some very strong signals, an amp could do more harm than good. As Rick suggested, for your locals you would need 2 antennas, on UHF pointed at 97 degrees, and a VHF antenna pointed towards 308 degrees.

Your location is a good fit for an HD1080 from either Winegard or Solid Signal. Aim it at Mt San Miguel, and it will pick up your two VHF stations off the back (where they come in best on that antenna).

For something you can buy locally, a ClearStream 2V would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Your location is a good fit for an HD1080 from either Winegard or Solid Signal. Aim it at Mt San Miguel, and it will pick up your two VHF stations off the back (where they come in best on that antenna).
Excellent! He wouldn't need the UVSJ combiner that way. Would probably need to be on the roof though. Or possibly the attic, if it plays nice with RF.

Winegard FACTORY REFURBISHED HD-1080 $24.99

R.