I passed the test but

cycler

DTVUSA Member
Last night when I was watching TV and changing channels I saw that on my local ABC they were testing the digital signal.

It was a long test so I had time to get to the TV and change to the DTV and after moving the antenna all around I finally got a signal. But it wasn't strong and it kept going out.

I'm glad that my TV passed the test but I'm still concerned that it's going to be really annoying every time I need to change the channel.

Last night when I was watching TV and changing channels I saw that on my local ABC they were testing the digital signal.

It was a long test so I had time to get to the TV and change to the DTV and after moving the antenna all around I finally got a signal. But it wasn't strong and it kept going out.

I'm glad that my TV passed the test but I'm still concerned that it's going to be really annoying every time I need to change the channel.
out door antennas are best if you can use them there are two many things inside a house that mess with digital signals

cycler

DTVUSA Member
Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and there's no way to run a cable outside. I've got the Terk amplified antenna which gets great reception when I finally figure out where it needs to be.

But tonight it took me about 5 minutes to get a signal for one show and then after I changed the channel for another I wasn't able to get it to keep a signal after a few minutes so I switched to analog because I didn't want to miss the show.

So it seems that if there's something that I really want to watch I'll need to begin to configure the antenna about 15 minutes earlier.

I'm also considering putting masking tape and marking it exactly where it needs to aim for the best reception for each channel.

This is too much work (and the masking tape will be a lovely addition to my decorating).

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
So it seems that if there's something that I really want to watch I'll need to begin to configure the antenna about 15 minutes earlier.

I'm also considering putting masking tape and marking it exactly where it needs to aim for the best reception for each channel.

Ughh, that's bad. Have you tried turning the Terk vertically so that it's pointing up in the air, and locating it as high as possible (on a TV stand or on top of the TV).

Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and there's no way to run a cable outside. I've got the Terk amplified antenna which gets great reception when I finally figure out where it needs to be.

But tonight it took me about 5 minutes to get a signal for one show and then after I changed the channel for another I wasn't able to get it to keep a signal after a few minutes so I switched to analog because I didn't want to miss the show.

This is too much work (and the masking tape will be a lovely addition to my decorating).
buy one of the 2 bay or four bay antennas and put it behind the tv and see how it works. or place it close to a window in the direction of the transmitters.

cycler

DTVUSA Member
Ughh, that's bad. Have you tried turning the Terk vertically so that it's pointing up in the air, and locating it as high as possible (on a TV stand or on top of the TV).
I've stood there holding it and literally moved it in every direction possible. I did get great reception when I was standing there holding it in the air right in front of the TV (lol) - not the best way to watch a show, though!

What's most annoying is that because I had great reception a week ago when it was in a specific spot (before moving it to get reception during the test) I know that the way it was set is the right way but since I moved it it changes from channel to channel.

What is a 2 bay or four bay antenna? Is there a place to hook-up a second antenna to the TV? Someone mentioned a very low cost RCA antenna RCA - Indoor Off-Air HDTV Antenna - ANT111 that they said worked really well but I don't know if that's the type that you're talking about.

cycler

DTVUSA Member
buy one of the 2 bay or four bay antennas and put it behind the tv and see how it works. or place it close to a window in the direction of the transmitters.
OK - I looked and saw this Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF DIRECTV 2 Bay UHF Antenna Digital HDTV Terrestrial Bowtie Outdoor Roof Top Local Signal Bow Tie Aerial, RED ZONE, Part # DTV2B-UHF: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satellite, Cable,
but it's for outdoors. Are you saying that I don't need to connect this to the TV and if I just put this behind the TV by the window it will possibly improve my reception? Or do I need to connect it?

Thanks!

OK - I looked and saw this Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF DIRECTV 2 Bay UHF Antenna Digital HDTV Terrestrial Bowtie Outdoor Roof Top Local Signal Bow Tie Aerial, RED ZONE, Part # DTV2B-UHF: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satellite, Cable,
but it's for outdoors. Are you saying that I don't need to connect this to the TV and if I just put this behind the TV by the window it will possibly improve my reception? Or do I need to connect it?

Thanks!
connect this antenna to the tv, set it behind the tv or by a window and see what happens.
Here are a few antennas i think might be better a least I trust the people who make them don't know about eagle aspen
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=AD-DB2
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=AD-DB4
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=U4000
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HD-1080
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HD-4400

Last edited:

cycler

DTVUSA Member
Sorry to be dense but am I supposed to use this instead of my current antenna or in addition to it.
And since it is supposed to be placed outside is there a stand for it when using it inside?

BTW - since you're a moderator - I selected the box to receive notifications when someone responds but I'm not getting any. (And they're not in my junk mail box).

Thanks!

Sorry to be dense but am I supposed to use this instead of my current antenna or in addition to it.
And since it is supposed to be placed outside is there a stand for it when using it inside?

BTW - since you're a moderator - I selected the box to receive notifications when someone responds but I'm not getting any. (And they're not in my junk mail box).

Thanks!
no there is no stand but just hang it on the wall or stand it up against the wall
yes use it instead of your current antenna:)