I want to hook up OTA TV.Can I use my old Direct TV dish for an antenna?

J

Jayson in VA

Help choosing an OTA antenna in VA :)

Hi,

We're also dumping DirecTV (DTV) and going to OTA, Apple TV, and Netflix. Looking at my TV Fool page, it appears we can get a few stations.

We live in a rural/suburban area between two metro areas with stations. Our lot is wooded but we have a two story house (running North to South) with a large attic. We have a dish mounted low on the east side of the roof; our closest stations are to the west. Would mounting an antenna on the DTV mount be a bad idea since we have a steep roof that will most likely block some of the line of sight to the western horizon? Would I be better off putting an antenna in my attic on the western side? Thanks for your help!!

-Jayson

We're also dumping DirecTV (DTV) and going to OTA, Apple TV, and Netflix.
Congratulations, Jayson! :cheers:

Looking at my TV Fool page, it appears we can get a few stations.
Cool beans that you get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS and CW in those few green stations.

We live in a rural/suburban area between two metro areas with stations. Our lot is wooded but we have a two story house (running North to South) with a large attic. We have a dish mounted low on the east side of the roof; our closest stations are to the west. Would mounting an antenna on the DTV mount be a bad idea since we have a steep roof that will most likely block some of the line of sight to the western horizon?
Wouldn't be my first choice, for sure.

Would I be better off putting an antenna in my attic on the western side?
It would be much better if you could get a good antenna on the roof on the western side. Your strong signals are all 1Edge (not the ideal "LOS" Line-Of-Sight), so any additional obstruction makes it a 2Edge dealie. The signal will be very "iffy."

Rick

J

Jayson in VA

Thanks Rick,

Agreed. Would you or anyone else that knows this stuff be willing to recommend an antenna for my situation?

Jayson

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Thanks Rick,

Agreed. Would you or anyone else that knows this stuff be willing to recommend an antenna for my situation?

Jayson
:welcome: Jayson,

Take a look at my albums here which contain several antennas I built including a VHF Yagi for my local channels 9 and 11.

If you want to build one, let me know.

Jim

J

Jayson in VA

Jim,

How hard is it to build one? I can't see the full size picts in your album but from what I can see, you're using pipe benders. I don't have any tools like that but I'm very handy and I'm all about saving $$$.

Thanks,
Jayson

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Hi,

We're also dumping DirecTV (DTV) and going to OTA, Apple TV, and Netflix. Looking at my TV Fool page, it appears we can get a few stations.

We live in a rural/suburban area between two metro areas with stations. Our lot is wooded but we have a two story house (running North to South) with a large attic. We have a dish mounted low on the east side of the roof; our closest stations are to the west. Would mounting an antenna on the DTV mount be a bad idea since we have a steep roof that will most likely block some of the line of sight to the western horizon? Would I be better off putting an antenna in my attic on the western side? Thanks for your help!!

-Jayson
I'm thinking mybe a 4bay antenna like an Antennas Direct DB4e, Channel Master CM4221, or a Antennacraft U4000 and then seeing if you need to add a VHF antenna if you have problems with channel 12 which is still VHF.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim,

How hard is it to build one? I can't see the full size picts in your album but from what I can see, you're using pipe benders. I don't have any tools like that but I'm very handy and I'm all about saving $$$.

Thanks,
Jayson
Jayson,

You should be able to see full size images by clicking on individual photos.

Jim

Jayson,

I apologize that I misinterpreted your TVFool report. :embarrassed: Only ABC, Fox and NBC (the problematic RF12, VHF) are in the green. CBS, PBS and CW are yellow and 1-2Edge. That makes me lean in the direction of Fringe or nbound's suggestion with the (possibly multiple) Yagi's, especially if you are still planning the attic installation. Please be aware that could turn into a quite a time consuming project. The dollars involved are almost secondary.

On the other hand, that's quite a nice price on the U-4000 -- $36 incl. S&H and you're up and running! It's a little taller than my 4221HD, so maybe you'll have better luck with channel 12 than moi. Your signal on 12 is also a little stronger.

So I'm truly split on the best approach to take, and I wish you all the best whatever you choose. Please be sure to use high quality RG-6 cable and secure all connections. If you have a very long cable run (over 35 ft.) a preamplifier might improve your luck. But start simple -- wire up one TV with no pre-amp.

Rick

J

Jayson in VA

No problem, Rick! I sincerely appreciate your and everyone's else help.

I'm going with an outdoor instillation and whichever route I choose, the antenna will end up ~35 feet off the ground with no obstructions except a few trees. I really like the idea of starting small and the Antennacraft U-4000 looks like a good place for me to start. I'll need to use the same coax cable I installed for DTV (it's installed in the walls) but I'm looking at ~ 60-70' run from the antenna to my main tv... so I might go ahead and get a pre-amp.

When we first moved in, we had some luck getting a couple channels with rabbit ears on top of the tv; however, our favorite local news is the VHF station (WWBT) so I've got my fingers crossed that it comes in on the U4000. If it doesn't, would the U4000 mounted below something like the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 be a decent multi antenna solution?

Thanks for the help and I appreciate the mods quickly approving my posts as a guest :)

-Jayson

G

Help choosing antenna

Hello all,

This thread seems to be the place to go for antenna suggestions. Lots of great info here. Im in the same boat as many others. Cutting the cord. Im going to use a HTPC, digital antenna and various streaming options. I found this thread while looking for the answer to another question (can i use existing dish network coax cables to install an antenna?) Still need to verify that one because I read that the splitters used by dish could cause issues?

Anyway, Im going to roof mount and I live about 5 miles outside of Huntington WV and about 20 miles from Ashland KY. Here is my TVfool data TV Fool

Please help me decide which antenna to get?

I might go ahead and get a pre-amp.
I really recommend starting without the amp. Always remember the amp is going to be the first thing to go, especially if it's outside.

When we first moved in, we had some luck getting a couple channels with rabbit ears on top of the tv; however, our favorite local news is the VHF station (WWBT) so I've got my fingers crossed that it comes in on the U4000. If it doesn't, would the U4000 mounted below something like the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 be a decent multi antenna solution?
Sounds like a plan! ...
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...nacraft-y5-7-13-high-band-broadband-yagi.html

Rick

Anyway, Im going to roof mount and I live about 5 miles outside of Huntington WV and about 20 miles from Ashland KY. Here is my TVfool data TV Fool

Please help me decide which antenna to get?
Ouch, looks like you're surrounded by mountains? No "green" stations and all 2Edge, despite the short distances. Afraid they're going to start talking about multiple Yagis again -- not my cup of tea. Too lazy. :embarrassed:

R.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
You have 3 probable configurations to choose from depending on what you want and what you are willing to spend. You are in a poor signal area so unfortunately you dont have the choices of others on here.

You will likely be limited to a single outlet without a preamp. Preamping may help a single outlet as you are picking up the barest traces of signals for most of these. Preamping will almost definately help if there is a splitter to multiple outlets. You will need to replace/bypass (depending on configuration) your satellite splitters [they wont pass OTA signals, OTA splitters and cable joiners (for bypassing) are cheap]

Bang for Buck system:

A large UHF antenna pointed at 62 degrees.
Likely- WQCW [CW], WSAZ [NBC + 1x subchannels], WTSF [Religious].
Less likely- W30DG [Home Shopping Network]
Unlikely- WVAH [Fox + 1x subchannel], WPBY [PBS + 2x suchannels]

Extras (can be added independenty of each other or together):

Add CBS:
Diplex in a mid-large VHF-high antenna pointed at 62 degrees. (
Ideally use a VHF/UHF preamp to combine)
Likely- WOWK [CBS + 1x subchannel]

Add PBS:
Use a CH26 Jointenna (or similar) to add a mid-large sized UHF antenna pointed at 312 degrees. (Extra insertion loss of Jointenna may affect other stations if not already preamped.)
Likely-WKAS [PBS/KET + 2x subchannel]
Less likely-WPBO [PBS/OSU + 2x subchannel]

Unlikely Option: Add FOX and/or ABC (AKA: Money is no object):
Probably used phased UHF antennas, mix into system depends on exact desires and whats already coming. Lots of money and little guarantee. May not even be possible to coherently mix in without commercial grade gear!
Unlikely, possibly insane -WVAH [Fox + 1x subchannel], WCHS [ABC + 2x suchannels]

Just to be clear, Im not making any guarantees about the reception of any channel, I never do, but this is what would likely work, based on an educated guess :) As you can see, its rather limited.

Theres always a chance that TVFool is wrong, you wont know for certain unless you get a professional installer out with a meter (or get up on the roof and swing around some antennas, if you wish)

Hehe, installs like this make me want to move to the US and install for everyone's crazily allocated channels. :D

Last edited:
J

Jayson in VA

No problem, Rick! I sincerely appreciate your and everyone's else help.

I'm going with an outdoor instillation and whichever route I choose, the antenna will end up ~35 feet off the ground with no obstructions except a few trees. I really like the idea of starting small and the Antennacraft U-4000 looks like a good place for me to start. I'll need to use the same coax cable I installed for DTV (it's installed in the walls) but I'm looking at ~ 60-70' run from the antenna to my main tv... so I might go ahead and get a pre-amp.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate the mods quickly approving my posts as a guest :)

-Jayson
Well, just wanted to give everyone an update. My AC U4000 came today and just for fun, I stuck it in the attic near an RG-6 connection and hooked it up. Aimed it in a general West direction and went to my TV, scanned for channels, and BAM!! - all the channels on my TV Fool report came in crystal clear except WWBT 12. Not bad!! Since the reception was so good, I went ahead and moved it to a portion of the attic with less obstructions and aimed it to 288* W. Checked again and even WWBT was perfect. No, not bad at all.

At this point, I don't see any reason to install it outside. I'm just going to enjoy my OTA TV!

Thank you all for the help and recommendations!

-Jayson

I too have DirectTV. I would like to use the existing coaxial cable that is running from the dish to my rooms in the house. Is it as simple as unplugging the coaxial cable from my dish and plugging it into the HD antenna?

Here is my report: TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I too have DirectTV. I would like to use the existing coaxial cable that is running from the dish to my rooms in the house. Is it as simple as unplugging the coaxial cable from my dish and plugging it into the HD antenna?

Here is my report: TV Fool
Yes, a U4000, or equivalent, pointed at 143 degrees magnetic will probably give you everything you want or need.

Edit: If you want "The CW" you may need a low or high VHF antenna.

Last edited: