I will never step foot into another B&M store on Black Friday again.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
screw.jpg My daughter needs a laptop for college. Walmart had a Compaq for $179. We decided we could buy it and ship it to her for about $200.

I spent 2 hours@ Walmart last night. My wife spent 2 hours in a different one, both trying to score the $179 laptop. We arrived at the stores at 8:30 pm. Of course, we didn't get one. They only had ~30 per store and started passing out tickets for them @ 6pm for a 10pm sale! Dejected, I went and stood in line for the $279 HP laptop for 1.5 hours. And waited. And sweated. And then waited another half hour to get to the front of the line, get it, and pay for it. An obvious "Bait and Switch" as they had tons of the more expensive ones!

Over 2 hours, for 2 people (each with a young child!) to get the laptop we didn't want.

This morning I searched the net and found a Lenovo with the EXACT SAME SPECS for $199 and free shipping on Amazon. Yea, I paid sales tax because she lives in NY, but they ship it to her for free. I didn't have to leave the house, and I don't have to spend over $30 to ship it to her and insure it.

I spent 30 minutes, in my pajamas, with a cup of hot coffee. I am going to Walmart and return the unopened laptop today - after the the stupid, smelly, and rude Black Friday shoppers leave.

Bite me, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I will never step foot into another B&M store on Black Friday weekend again.

n2rj

Staff member
Amazon has been matching many of the BF deals.

However our Wal-Marts here have had the BF door busters well into this afternoon, and there was plenty of stock on hand.

Walmart had a Compaq for $179. ... This morning I searched the net and found a Lenovo with the EXACT SAME SPECS for $199 and free shipping on Amazon.
What specs? Was the Lenovo new? Could you link to one or the other laptop, so we can see what's out there for $199 nowadays?

TIA,
Rick

Got it

Walmart's Compaq Door buster for $179 was this one:
Compaq Pacific Blue 15.6" CQ58-bf9WM Laptop PC with AMD Dual-Core C-80 Processor and Windows 8 Operating System: Computers : Walmart.com

For the Lenovo, I'll guess it was the same as Best Buy's $188 Doorbuster, the G585. Almost exactly same specs, but processor is 1.0 Mhz duo, instead of 1.3 Mhz duo for the Compaq. Still, the Lenovo ("built like a tank") was probably a better deal.

The Today show is calling it "Black and Blue Friday." :applause:

Rick

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I ended up with this:
Lenovo G585 15.6-Inch Laptop 1.3 GHz Keep in mind, $199 was a "lightning deal" sale price. It's unavailable now except from marketplace resellers, who are asking from $425.38 - $800 (Seriously? $800?)

I would love to get some hands on time with it, but it's shipping directly to my daughter. (One of the best things about being a Dad is getting to play with all the cool toys Santa brings!)

The processor is more suited to a netbook or tablet, really, but that's how they make it affordable. The $279 HP I took back to Wally World was exactly the same specs but made by Lenovo.

Last edited: