If DTV is so much better than analog, why do I get less channels?

HenryT

DTVUSA Rookie
I've been watching tv for over 50 years and I just don't understand why all you think dtv is so much better than analog. I get less channels and more problems with dtv than I ever did on analog and I have a roof antenna.

what a joke.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've been watching tv for over 50 years and I just don't understand why all you think dtv is so much better than analog. I get less channels and more problems with dtv than I ever did on analog and I have a roof antenna.

what a joke.
HenryT, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. To begin with, you are not alone. Everyone doesn't think DTV is so much better. For most issues there are some very knowledgeable people here in the forum willing to work through the reception problems. If you have DTV issues you would like help with, I recommend you post with the issue. Do you have DTV reception issues you would like to work through? If so, post back with your TV Fool information, antenna type, TV type and what issues we're dealing with and you will get some help on what needs to be done in your circumstance. Good Luck!

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It would be interesting to see a normalized survey conducted by a reliable pollster about this. My best guess is that it's running about 90%/10% in favor of DTV, but there are definitely some people who are having a more difficult time after the transition. Hopefully we can help move you from the 10% into the 90%.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Yes, true. Although, I'm sure there are some introductions that fell flat. Clearly, DTV didn't -- DTV is a success, and whatever happens next will be built on, based on, or compared to DTV. The 68 year old technology that was analog television is, for all intents and purposes, dead in the US, despite the few LP stations left.

I'm going to start another thread
for this, but I've been trying to find detailed information (like the information I already know about DTV) with regard to IBOC technology ("HD Radio"). It does seem to offer the same promise as DTV: Re-using existing spectrum, which was essentially being wasted, previously, due to how incredibly inefficient analog transmission is, so that the same amount of spectrum delivers substantially more and/or better content.

So I wonder if HD Radio is the next DTV, or the next Edsel.