If i have a hdtv already do i still need the converter box?

Alma Leon

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm turning off cable because I can't afford it anymore. I bought an HDTV last year but I want to check, do I have to buy a converter box for this TV now that I'll be watching TV with an antenna?

Reason why I ask is because I had to have a converter box to receive cable.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You shouldn't need a converter box. There were some TVs manufactured early on that were HD ready, meaning they didn't have a digital tuner, but if you bought it last year it should have a digital tuner. Hook the antenna to the antenna connector, go into the set up menu, set the input to antenna, and scan for channels. If you have other questions about antennas, how to find out what channels are available in your area, what type of antenna to get, how to point your antenna, etc. feel free to ask.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Alma Leon!

Our Team can help you determine what channels you are apt to be able to receive FREE, as well as what antenna types could work for you. Please go to the following website TV Fool and enter your address or GPS CO-ordinance, as well as the maximum possible antennas height above ground level you can (realistically) have. A two story house and a chimney-mounted antenna can easily be 30 feet or more above ground.

The TVFOOL website automatically conceals all of your personal information for security reasons, so post the resulting URL here for our team to review.

Welcome to the world of FREE television reception! :thumb:

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Alma,
A few questions...

The Box that you used to watch Cable, it belonged to the Cable Company, and you had to give it back to them, is that right ?

Why don't you give us the Make and Model of your Television, we'll check to see if it does or does not need a Converter, ok !

Have you bought an Antenna yet ?

Also, be sure to fill out the TVFool report like Jim said, go to this link...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
then copy and paste the Bold link you see above your chart, into your next post here.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If it was bought last year, it's ready to go- just follow dkreichen1968 post advice.

The converter box from the cable company is strictly for cable. It's very different than a converter box for OTA DTV.

D

DeeDee

Antenna or Converter box??

I have a 40' proscan 1080dpi lcd tv and i no longer have cable. Do i need an antenna or converter box??

G

What do I need to receive digital channels...

... on a Samsung 43" HDTV - Plasma PN43E450?
Converter Box or HD Tuner with an antenna or what?

I also have a Radio Shack Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna.

I want to receive digital channels without cable.

Thank you!

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
... on a Samsung 43" HDTV - Plasma PN43E450?
Converter Box or HD Tuner with an antenna or what?

I also have a Radio Shack Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna.

I want to receive digital channels without cable.

Thank you!
If your local stations are less than 10 miles away, the indoor antenna will probably be sufficient to pull in the channels. Look on the back ot the TV if it has a screw on RF coupler (probably labeled antenna or ANT or the like), it has a tuner and no cable box needed.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Here are the specs for your Samsung TV set: Samsung PN43E450 - 43" Class ( 43.04" viewable ) 450 Series plasma TV - 720p - charcoal black

It has an ATSC Tuner so you do not need to buy or use a Converter box but you must go into the onscreen menu to tell it you want to receive free over-the-air TV rather than a paid service. Look for a choice named Terristrial, Antenna or even over air.

If you post the results (URL) of your free TV Fool antenna survey here, we can help you select an antenna. Please use the maximum possible height where you could locate an antenna. Welcome to free TV reception!

Jim