Question: If Movie Theatres Let you Watch From Home!

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
If the bigger named movie theaters would let you purchase a pay per view ticket to watch what they have playing would you stay in and watch "now in theater" movies at home or do you enjoy the theater atmosphere?
How much do you pay to see a movie and how much would you pay to watch it at home?

For the four of us to go to The Second Hobbit movie it was 12 dollars for the two adults and 7 or 8 dollars for each of the children. We then ordered two medium popcorn and two medium drinks and one adult and one child shared and our total was just over 60 dollars. They charge an extra 3 dollars because of the 3D aspect but we tried to bring in our glasses from the last time and they still charged us full price and gave us new glasses.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I personally would love it if they would just let us watch from home. Considering I have a problem with crowds, I can barely go to wal-mart with myself and my kids, without my husband. I have a panic attack. So normally I don't leave the house to go to extremely crowded plays unless I have my husband with me. Not only that, I think that movie theaters just over do it with there "buy this, you need this" type thing.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Movies cost too much for the average family. Not only that, I can't get a 3 year old to sit through a movie in a theater!

Save the movie night for yourselves, leave the kids at a sitter. Rent from Redbox when it becomes available and have a movie night with the kids. Last night we saw 2 movies at home (Hunger Games 2 and Free Birds), with popcorn and drinks, for under $5. Granted, not 3D, but every bit as good otherwise. Even if we were to rent online for $3.99 or as high as $20 a movie, it's still cheaper than the theater. It's the multiple admissions where they get you. If you could just pay a flat rate for your whole family - like you do when you rent at home - it would be worth it. Heck, even BUYING the Blu-ray makes more sense than the theater! So for us, we will wait until it comes out online or on disc.

Now, here's a warm weather trick for your whole family to see a movie in the "theater": the DRIVE IN! Find one close to you HERE: Drive-In Theater
or HERE:
Drive-ins.com - Welcome to Drive-ins.com
Many of them charge a single price per car admission, and you can bring your own food. Even if they charge per person, it's cheaper than indoor theaters. Food at a drive in concession often includes burgers, fries, ice cream as well as the standard popcorn and candy... at reasonable prices.

A few notes - a LOT of drive-ins are recently closed or closing soon due to the cost of new digital projectors. Things to bring include BUG SPRAY, lawn chairs, and an FM radio.

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
I definitely understand the cost, its insane, the ONLY reason I have been to the theater since "Titanic" is that my brother pays and it has been I believe, 4 times in two years. With the Hobbit he and the kids are reading the book together, if they get to where the end of the new movie is then then get to go. They love reading but this is a great way to push their 11 and 9 year old reading level to a much higher one which is definitely worth my brothers cash ;)

We would absolutely watch at home. We live in a very rural area, so our closest theater is an hour's drive. For us to go to the movies, it has to be either something we are dying to see, or a day when we are already in a town with a theater. There's also the kids issue, I have a 3 year old that can't sit still during a movie, so I don't take her out of respect to the other theater patrons. It would be nice to watch new movies while they're still new, at home. I would even pay more than an average movie ticket, just for the convenience of it.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I would much rather watch movies from home. I can eat what I want, I can pause the movie when I want, I can take off my clothes if I want, and it's a lot cheaper. I only go to the theater a couple times a year, and usually only because I'm going with friends or family. Even the things I'd like to see in the theater because it's a big movie, I don't make the effort to go because it's too expensive and too much hassle ... look up the times, get there, find a seat, deal with stupid people, find the time to go before the movie's not playing anymore... I would like to see more current movies from home, but I probably wouldn't pay any more to do so. I'd still wait until they are on DVD or Netflix streaming.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Well, it's actually a great idea to watch a new movie legally. However, imagine how fast pirated copies would appear if someone could stream the movie in hd to his big tv and simply record it with a good quality, stable camera... Now [cam] pirated movies are not worth watching so it's not a big business but this would help pirates too much I think, I think the movie theaters will prefer to have monopoly for as long as they can

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well, even if they were to keep the movie in theaters, when it comes out on dvd someone will copy it and just give it to people they know who do not want to by the DVD because to them its to expensive. It's that considered pirating as well?

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
Well, it's actually a great idea to watch a new movie legally. However, imagine how fast pirated copies would appear if someone could stream the movie in hd to his big tv and simply record it with a good quality, stable camera... Now [cam] pirated movies are not worth watching so it's not a big business but this would help pirates too much I think, I think the movie theaters will prefer to have monopoly for as long as they can
Unfortunately I see a LOT Of movies that are pirated online for free. I never watch them because they are poor quality but they will say next to them "cam" next to the type. The only time I did check one out was after the Hobbit I wanted to see if my 3D glasses worked at home and they didnt, so the pirated version was actually pretty useless because without it being taped through the 3D glasses to start it ended up being blurry. I haven't had the chance to try our 3D theatre glasses on a dvd that claims to be 3D yet though, if I get the chance I would love it if they work because those glasses are an extra 3 dollars on admission to the theatre and are pretty good quality considering. What irks me is that you pay to have them and then they have "Recycle" baskets all over on your way out wanting you to give them back, like umm no I just paid a ton for these they are mine! LOL

I haven't been to the movies in over a year. There are times where I just want to get up and go to the movies on a weekly basis, as a weekend thing to do . Being that I really don't anywhere. But I really enjoy the movie atmosphere I guess its the thrill of a big screen and those comfortable chairs they have now of days. Besides the sound effects are great. On the hand I could get a home theater and have all those sound effects right in my home for free or a cheaper price. Plus I can watch the movie any time I want and as many times as I feel. When it comes to going to the movies, it just the idea of having time to get away from being cooped in the house. I agree with you about those prices, they're absolutely ridiculous. So, I guess it wouldn't really matter to me either way.

I'm very black-and-white about movies in the theater (and not just because I like old films!). If I'm in the movie theater, the screen has to be big enough to justify me not sitting at home and watching it on TV (beware any theaters that have 'studio' screens-they have screens smaller than the average TV and the atmosphere of in-flight entertainment) and I have walked out and got re-funds if it's clearly not a 'big screen'. It's bad enough that all projection is now digital and not celluloid. I don't want any other part of the cinema-going experience to be lost to me! With the amount cable costs, I'm surprised movie theaters haven't tried to re-invent themselves as the new 'nickelodeons' rather than try to rip off spectators and their families even more by inflating prices and adding extraneous top-ups like 3-D and Imax (these have their place but it's a very small percentage of movies that need to be shown this way.

Movies cost a TON of money, but I love a good movie viewing experience in a quality theater. My viewing of Gravity would not have been complete if I didn't see it in 3D IMAX. Also, if you see a comedy in a packed theater, there's a feeling of camaraderie and enjoyment that you wouldn't get otherwise