If the Zune HD comes with HD Radio, will Apple bring DTV to the iPod and iPhone

JeepJeep

DTVUSA Member
Zune HD has stepped it up adding HD radio to its capability. Anyone think Apple will do the same with the iPod or iPhone?

If you had a choice, what would you choose? HD Radio or Mobile DTV?

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Well whatever you want to call HD radio, it does make the Zune more attractive to me as a frequent mp3 listener. One thing that Apple has had a leg up on for years is the iTunes service. I've never used a Zune before, but with my iPod I can connect it, download a few songs, and head out the door in less than a few minutes. Fast and easy.....

Piggie

Super Moderator
To me it would make a big difference. If it's terrestrial free HD Radio or $15 a month for satellite service.

Actually the phrase "HD Radio" as far as I know is owned and means terrestrial radio on the FM band.

There's no such thing as HD Radio. High Def radio doesn't exist. it's digital radio but you're still getting the same FM stations, the only diff is that it shows the song name and artist ala satellite radio style. but there's no 'new' networks like with digital TV.

The marketing of it as 'HD radio' with only the initials drives people to thinking it's High Definition but that's incorrect. the 'H D' is a whole different thing. but they don't make that one clear. even our own locals are acting and advertising it blaring it out as if it actually were High Definition.

And don't get me started on the new 'HD Pizzas' i have seen in stores. i am so sick of the lower-case 'i' in front of a gadget AND the term 'HD' all over everything when about 90% has nothing to do with High Definition.

There's no such thing as HD Radio. High Def radio doesn't exist. it's digital radio but you're still getting the same FM stations, the only diff is that it shows the song name and artist ala satellite radio style. but there's no 'new' networks like with digital TV.

The marketing of it as 'HD radio' with only the initials drives people to thinking it's High Definition but that's incorrect. the 'H D' is a whole different thing. but they don't make that one clear. even our own locals are acting and advertising it blaring it out as if it actually were High Definition.

And don't get me started on the new 'HD Pizzas' i have seen in stores. i am so sick of the lower-case 'i' in front of a gadget AND the term 'HD' all over everything when about 90% has nothing to do with High Definition.
hehe I was waiting for you to chime in with that. It is true though.

about 90% of 'i-This' and 'i-That' aren't Apple products either and there are possibly a ton of people thinking that the K-Mart-sold 'iHome' is some sort of Apple product.

POWER ROCK! 93.9 KTG! the TRI STATE'S HD ROCK STATION!
That ident is blasted between each song and notice that a lot of internet sites use the 'HD' letters but never spell out what exactly 'HD' means. most people assume it means 'High Definition' and would think to buy it assuming incorrectly they're getting this awesome new toy but from reading reviews it's not anything better than a standard AM/FM radio and i heard some sound like total crap.

POWER ROCK! in H D!!!!
Maybe Hi-Fi, but definitely NOT High Definition. Local broadcast radio shouting out 'WE'RE IN HD!' is about as honest as every local TV affiliate shouting out that they're the 'LEADER IN LOCAL NEWS'.

Last edited:

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Zune HD has stepped it up adding HD radio to its capability. Anyone think Apple will do the same with the iPod or iPhone?

If you had a choice, what would you choose? HD Radio or Mobile DTV?
If Apple were to put mobile DTV on their iPod's, I'd consider getting a new one. It all depends on how well it performs with reception with a small antenna.

If Apple put any kind of TV on an iPod, namely an iPod touch or iPhone, i would say you'd have to be tethered to a wi-fi hotspot or in the case of the iPhone, you'd have data charges, like with CingularTV or the TV app in most newer smartphones.

I doubt Apple would use any means of OTA reception, otherwise the new iPod Touch would've had FM radio too, and it doesn't. i don't think Apple likes buyers of their products having free access to much, and with TV OTA, i'd say people would take advantage of the downloading option and possibly illegally download tons of stuff to the iPod and would open up a can of worms somewhere at Apple, Inc.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
If Apple put any kind of TV on an iPod, namely an iPod touch or iPhone, i would say you'd have to be tethered to a wi-fi hotspot or in the case of the iPhone, you'd have data charges, like with CingularTV or the TV app in most newer smartphones.

I doubt Apple would use any means of OTA reception, otherwise the new iPod Touch would've had FM radio too, and it doesn't. i don't think Apple likes buyers of their products having free access to much, and with TV OTA, i'd say people would take advantage of the downloading option and possibly illegally download tons of stuff to the iPod and would open up a can of worms somewhere at Apple, Inc.
Just think of the DVR apps they could come out with though if they did have a mobile DTV tuner. :)

It would be hard though to get good reception on a device no larger than a cell phone. can you imagine the teeny antenna? and if there was any chance it could work, it'd drain the battery really fast.

It may be more realistic to assume they could get Adobe Flash on them and then have flash download apps.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
It would be hard though to get good reception on a device no larger than a cell phone. can you imagine the teeny antenna? and if there was any chance it could work, it'd drain the battery really fast.

It may be more realistic to assume they could get Adobe Flash on them and then have flash download apps.
Have you seen some of the European handheld devices? I know they use a different standard than us, but they seem to get decent reception from some of the videos I've seen.

would be ok in a city near transmitters but in the rural areas i would highly doubt it. i have enough trouble maintaining a solid cellular signal while i'm talking and then i turn my head out it goes. i'd really hate it if i paid the $229 for an iPod touch and the TV works until i move it one centimeter and then *POOF*. that would infuriate me.

Since i live where no landline exists i really hate cell phones. i just cannot find it natural to hold it frozen like a deer in the headlights and try talking. i like to move around as i speak. but if i twitch the slighest i go from 4 bars to 'No Service'. I always loved the analog cellular phones you could be in the sahara and still get a signal. GSM is like VHF. nice until you move far away.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Microsoft gambled with the Zune HD putting HD radio in it. I'm not sure if it'll pay off because from what's been posted here and at other forums, HD radio isn't exactly the easiest to receive either.

It's supposedly the same old FM/AM radio with the same stations (no multicasting which is a deal-breaker with me) but supposedly clearer sound and the name of the song/artist and the ability to save that info until it plays on your presets and it alerts you.

For all that i'd rather pay the $12 for a sirius subscription and have zero static, zero commercials, and any genre from any decade of my choosing. no station drift means whether i'm in Kentucky or at Oshkosh AirVenture, i have the same station presets. and no sports or Nascar 'spam' all over the FM band which happens here all the time.

From what i've read online about 'HD Radio' (it's not HD it doesn't exist and they should stop the misleading marketing and/or have a disclaimer to people who associate 'HD' with 'High Definition') though the sound of an old 60's stereo console would blow HD Radio away. weak signal means sucky sound. a little like watching a weak DTV signal and having audio dropouts.