If You Connected a Convertor Box to a Digital TV With Built in Tuner?

DTVnotworking

DTVUSA Jr. Member
would it damage something in the digital TV or would it help it recieve more channels or will nothing at all happen? We're getting desperate because of all the channel losses and it turns out the digital TV in the living room which ofcourse we thought would have the least problems is the only one in the house that totally lost channel 11 WBAL, the other 2 analog TVs with convertor boxes can get it. So does anybody know what the result of hooking up a convertor box to a digital TV would be, would it help it out and boost the signal strength or damage something?

Last edited:

O-O

DTVUSA Member
not at all, just connect it to one of the extra inputs. A few of us have done that here because our TV tuners are actually weaker than the newer converter boxes. You just won't get HD with a CECB converter box.

As always, we would have to know where you live and what channel you are having problems with.

We would have to know the model of television and the model of your antenna and everything hooked to the system.

Your problem might not be with the television. It might be that you used a 3 or more way splitter.

Splitters has a high amount of loss. Loss is expressed in db., 3 db of signal is a loss of half the signal. A good two way splitter has about 3 - 3.5 db. of loss.

A 4 way splitter has as much as 7 db., of signal. A splitter is not equal in the way that it splits the signal. It could have two ports that has 3.5 db. of loss and one port that has 7 db. of loss.

7 db. of loss is more than 2 times the loss of signal that the other two televisions has. So 3 televisions hooked up to one splitter - has two decent receptions and one poor reception.

The other problem has to do with the wire that goes from the antenna to the splitter and from the splitter to the television. Wire is rated at loss per a foot per a certain frequency.

Most times it requires that you remove the old RG 6 wire and replace it with a high quality Quad Shield wire. Better F type connectors and a pre amplifier.

A bad F connector can cause much grief. Poor crimping practices, poor terminal quality and even terminal failure. I had a brand new converter box patch cord go bad the second time I removed it from a television.

Diagnosing a television reception problem over the internet is just about as hard as calling a medical doctor on the phone and asking what is wrong with me? The best he can do is ask questions and make a educated guess.

DTVnotworking

DTVUSA Jr. Member
As always, we would have to know where you live and what channel you are having problems with.

We would have to know the model of television and the model of your antenna and everything hooked to the system.

Your problem might not be with the television. It might be that you used a 3 or more way splitter.

Splitters has a high amount of loss. Loss is expressed in db., 3 db of signal is a loss of half the signal. A good two way splitter has about 3 - 3.5 db. of loss.

A 4 way splitter has as much as 7 db., of signal. A splitter is not equal in the way that it splits the signal. It could have two ports that has 3.5 db. of loss and one port that has 7 db. of loss.

7 db. of loss is more than 2 times the loss of signal that the other two televisions has. So 3 televisions hooked up to one splitter - has two decent receptions and one poor reception.

The other problem has to do with the wire that goes from the antenna to the splitter and from the splitter to the television. Wire is rated at loss per a foot per a certain frequency.

Most times it requires that you remove the old RG 6 wire and replace it with a high quality Quad Shield wire. Better F type connectors and a pre amplifier.

A bad F connector can cause much grief. Poor crimping practices, poor terminal quality and even terminal failure. I had a brand new converter box patch cord go bad the second time I removed it from a television.

Diagnosing a television reception problem over the internet is just about as hard as calling a medical doctor on the phone and asking what is wrong with me? The best he can do is ask questions and make a educated guess.
I live in Columbia MD which is right in between Baltimore and DC. Turns out the Channel 11 WBAL station we're having problems with reduced its signal strength and because the rest of the house can still get the station fine on the analog TV's with convertor boxes I just figured the problem was the Digital TV has a weaker tuner than the convertor boxes. It was a gift because I probably wouldnt of bought this brand its a Memorex with a Tivax Indoor uhf/vhf digital amped antenna connected to it. Its just plugged into the wall, no extra cables connected or anything because we dont have cable and no outside antenna we're in an apartment builing.