NBA: If you ran the Knicks, would you keep Anthony?

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
In watching the train wreck that has been the New York Knicks season, I have trouble picturing Carmelo Anthony as a key element of a championship team. He's exciting to watch and he scores a lot of points, but I just don't see him as unselfish enough to be part of a winner. So, if he opts out after this season, should the Knicks try to re-sign him? In my opinion it comes down to goals - is it more important to be a championship-caliber basketball team or a highly-profitable franchise? If it's the former, I think you let him go and start rebuilding around Hardaway, Jr. and other young players.

The Knicks will never meet with any real success so long as Dolan owns them and controls their fate. At least with the Rangers he doesn't care about hockey so he leaves them alone.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
What if, as is currently rumored, Phil Jackson is brought in to head the front office? I would have to think he would only come aboard with a promise of total power and no owner meddling. I can't see the zen master signing up for a rebuild, though, so he'd most likely do everything he could to keep Carmelo and build around him (a la Jordan in Chicago and Bryant in LA). I can't see it working, personally. Fortunately, the Nets provide much more promise with much less drama.

Well, I'm wondering if the Knicks do get the Zen master...will they make a run at Lebron??? If so, with or without Melo???? I personally think the Nets over-mortgaged the medium term by bringing in 2/3rds of the Celtics "Big Three"....maybe a run at Rondo and LeBron??? Will be interesting to see what they do regardless.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
Well, tonight it's being reported that Jackson's on board, so I guess we'll find out! Unless Dolan completely cuts his legs out from under him, I can't see Jackson embarrassing himself in this job. I've never been a huge fan of his, but his accomplishments are undeniable. And, if I had to guess, I'd say they'll sign 'Melo to a maximum contract. But I hope I'm wrong.

YUp, Jackson will have them as a contender within two seasons is my prediction! Now whether or not Melo stays? I think that really depends on Jackson's vision for the team 2 years out.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
Navigating the salary-cap rules to maximize value is an integral part of any GMs job in the NBA and in the NFL. The fact that the Knicks have been so clueless in this regard is had definitely been a key element in their irrelevance for the last decade or so. If a team wants to overpay a player, that's really none of my concern. But when it hinders your ability to field a team around that player, that's just plain dumb. I'm a fan of Allen Houston as a player and as a person, but you're right in pointing out the folly of his contract. On the current team, Amar'e Stoudemire fills that role.

DM28

DTVUSA Member
He will stay because of Phil. They are both winners and like to surround themselves with winners as well. Hopefully the knicks reinvent themselves with phil