Illegal or not-do you know?

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Having bought myself two Kindle e-readers.
I have downloaded one e-book on one of them and already read it.
No I want to give this Kindle with this e-book to my mother who is a slow reader. After she has finished that e-book, she will give that Kindle back to me.

Right now I am not quite sure if this is allowed by DRM. It is just the good old sharing book thing which I want to do with my mother...

Do you know, if this is legal?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, another Kindle reader. :) Ordered mine last Friday and it'll arrive here at the house tomorrow.

As for your question, I believe that at this time, the only way you can share an e-book with two separate Kindles is if both you and your mom have both Kindles registered under the same Amazon user account.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Tell the DRM to go ************ itself and give her the Kindle. Honestly, are they going to come crashing in through the window for giving her the Kindle? Nah, they wont. Even if the DRM disallows it, there is no way in Hell they would know you did it.

You know, that reminds me of Family Guy, where Peter tries to record a football game and a swat team busts in asking "Do you have the expressed written permission from ABC and the NFL?"

"Just ABC..."

Last edited:
I'm sorry and i don't mean to offend but....

What's wrong with just reading a real book? what's the gadget do that a real book doesn't, other than put the words of a book on an LCD??? i'd really feel disappointed if the literacy of the world comes to LCD books. and if it reads it aloud to you what's the point of reading or learning to read?

I'm assuming you pay for the 'books' online, and if you were trying to copy it to another device and that device is not paying for the material i'd assume it's illegal as you'd be distributing a single paid copy as two but only paying for one. but if it's got DRM i'd assume also that the other device would see that trick coming and deny access. i don't get into the e-readers but as the last poster stated i don't think the police care. it's like when i had the catalytic converter cut off my car. i wouldn't see why cops would waste their time looking under every single parked car in hopes of catching the federal offense that is cutting off the catalyst, so i'd doubt you'd hear anything from the copied e-book, other than maybe having the other device denying the access, in a way similar to macrovision on VHS tapes preventing copies.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'm sorry and i don't mean to offend but....

What's wrong with just reading a real book? what's the gadget do that a real book doesn't, other than put the words of a book on an LCD??? i'd really feel disappointed if the literacy of the world comes to LCD books. and if it reads it aloud to you what's the point of reading or learning to read?

I'm assuming you pay for the 'books' online, and if you were trying to copy it to another device and that device is not paying for the material i'd assume it's illegal as you'd be distributing a single paid copy as two but only paying for one. but if it's got DRM i'd assume also that the other device would see that trick coming and deny access. i don't get into the e-readers but as the last poster stated i don't think the police care. it's like when i had the catalytic converter cut off my car. i wouldn't see why cops would waste their time looking under every single parked car in hopes of catching the federal offense that is cutting off the catalyst, so i'd doubt you'd hear anything from the copied e-book, other than maybe having the other device denying the access, in a way similar to macrovision on VHS tapes preventing copies.
Saves paper products and trees. They're compact, so you're not collecting a huge library and you don't need to lug a large book around with you. No shipping from the book store to you home, so there is no shipping cost. Online shopping is easy and the variety is large. There are many good reasons for going with these devices. Technically it is illegal to share the the downloaded copywrite material. You could contact the company you use for online purchases and ask what they would recommend.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Im a bit of an antiquarian myself...when it comes to books. I think that there will still be book publishing, but the buyers will tend to be collectors and connoiseurs (also the physical quality of books will go up). There of course will still be books printed for developing world.

How about the creepy childrens book burning prompted by the Democrat child safety bill earlier this yeat. But I promised not to talk politics.

Anyways there was an Orwelian deletion of Orwell on the Kindles recently. That was creepy too. One thing about books is that they are hard evidence of the original writing, where as a lot of classic books have been edited and censored here and there, you can tell from the earlier printings that this has happened. However with e-books? Not so much. Kinda creepy.

One more thing regarding that Orwellian experience....

Amazon Kindle E-book Deletion Prompts Lawsuit

Amazon angered customers when it remotely deleted two books in from Kindle e-book readers without notifying their owners.

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek
July 31, 2009 04:57 PM

A high school student has sued Amazon, claiming the retailer ruined his homework on George Orwell's 1984 by deleting the electronic version of the book without warning from the teenager's Kindle.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Between Chrome and Kindles it is possible to track what a person reads. This is scary regardless of right, left, middle or someone in orbit in a UFO.

Even library records can be searched by the court which to me is wrong.

The only safe thing to do is buy a book anymore with cash.

Piggie

Super Moderator
This is why I keep preaching lets all stop arguing left vs right, as there things much more critical to both sides that believe in the rights of citizens in a free society. Once we get those under control we can go back to left vs right.

EscapeVelocity

That would be nice Piggie, unfortunately the New Left isnt going to ease up so we can, its hitting on all cylinders with the peddle to the metal.

We have to fight the culture war at the same time. We may not like it, but that is just the way it is.

EscapeVelocity

Piggie, there has been a lot of give by the Conservatives since the 60s if you havent noticed. One side isnt satisfied and now has the advantage and is hittin on all cylinders full speed ahead. The other side decided that certain reforms were moral and desireable, however its gotten way out of hand, and now has its back up against wall, and immovable object.

Many would prefer that Conservatives not throw up road blocks to the Western Left, however, for reasons (some of which I have enunciated) that isnt a wise or desireable path. Many "others" may wish it werent so (Conservatives holding the line), but alas.

Maybe one side should stop pushing. Compromise is a 2 way street, not a one way railroad.