I'm confused

higg

DTVUSA Jr. Member
How does this converter box really work. I understand that the government is switching everything over to digital next year, but i don't know if i even need a box. I purchased my television in the about 12 years ago in 90's, it was about mid-range in price and name brand. So how would i figure out if i should buy a converter box or not?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
How does this converter box really work. I understand that the government is switching everything over to digital next year, but i don't know if i even need a box. I purchased my television in the about 12 years ago in 90's, it was about mid-range in price and name brand. So how would i figure out if i should buy a converter box or not?
Without knowing specifically what brand and model# your television is, I can't say with 100% accuracy whether you will need a converter box or not...however...

I'm 99.99% sure you'll need a converter box before the February 17th, 2009 digital transition.

You'll need a converter box if: Your TV receives broadcasts over-the-air through antenna (No cable or satellite service connected to your television.)

Just to be sure, you can visit the following resources for determining if you need a converter box:

http://www.tvconversionhelp.com/how-do-i-know-if-i-already-have-a-digital-tv-dtv/
http://www.dtvtransition.org
https://www.dtv2009.gov/faq.aspx

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
You will never have the chance again to get a converter box for free up to about $20. Many people have a VCR with analog tuners. They like to record one channel while they watch another.

They will need a separate converter box for the VCR if they are going to do that. It must also be a different brand from the other box that may be in use so that the remote controls used to operate the box will not conflict with the other box.

I'm confused as well. They made it sound like everyone's tv's will be trash, but this basically only affects the few grannies still living in the stone age with rabbit ears, doesn't it? :S I have satellite, so won't need to do this, right?

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
I'm confused as well. They made it sound like everyone's tv's will be trash, but this basically only affects the few grannies still living in the stone age with rabbit ears, doesn't it? :S I have satellite, so won't need to do this, right?
You'd be surprised how many people don't have satellite or cable. Seems hardly worth $1K a year.

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
Many people feel that they do not want to pay for a poorer picture of commercials when they can get a much better quality picture for free. Many people also feel (myself included) that most pay satellite TV is a ripoff.

Statistically the average household with pay satellite or cable TV watches eleven channels out of all of the channels that they have to pay for to get those few. If more of the public would just not pay for it all. The programming would be better and one could subscribe to only what they want to see.

Also, many people do not care to watch TV enough to justify or even know about what they could buy off of the satellite or cable. They can find what they want locally off of the air.

Thomas G

Contributor
Many people also feel (myself included) that most pay satellite TV is a ripoff.

Statistically the average household with pay satellite or cable TV watches eleven channels out of all of the channels that they have to pay for to get those few.
I think it's a ripoff, and it seems like satellite companies will continue to push the threshold as to what consumers will pay or put up with for billing. They offer too many channels and not enough quality programming.

I'm working on a Home Theater PC which will be able to download and display programs, and if everything works right, I'll probably cancel my pay services.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Wow, good luck HTnut. I hope you are successful. I so agree with you Sparks. I have asked the satellite company many times, if they will come up with a pick your own line-up package. I get hundreds of channels and probably only watch a dozen of them.