I'm getting a digital channel 8.72 - PHILIPS TV QUESTION!

Rob

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well...not really - it's all black. But I don't know if someone rolled over on the remote or what but on my Philips TV's channel guide it now says 8.1 (abc), 8.2 (watch tv), 8.3 (grit), then somehow in the last few days I've gotten 8.70, 8.71, and 8.72 listed but black. I didn't even know channels in the 100th place were even possible????

So here is my real question...does anyone out there with a Philips TV know how to program channels manually for weak stations. There is a weak station installation option in set-up but it seems to only look for whole numbered analog channels - which makes no sense.

If I accidentally saved/locked in channels 8.70, 8.71, & 8.72 from my remote (maybe from one of my kids playing with it), how can I do it again (and this time purposely search and lock in channels I may actually be able to get)?

Thanks guys!!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It may be an error in the PSIP data from the broadcaster that the TV interprets as channels, or it may be caused by information services broadcast by the broadcaster. One of my PBS stations has extra data streams that some tuners show as channels. I'd just delete them and not worry about it. I believe that you can have up to 99 channel slots in a ATSC 1.0 signal. Of course there is no way you could have 99 video signals on a single ATSC 1.0 signal.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have an (older, 2007) Philips DTV, but it's in storage right now. If yours is anything like mine, it's a real pain for adding/removing channels - there is no "scan add" function so I need to manually add the RF channel or do a complete re-scan.

I suggest doing a complete re-scan and then removing the channels and sub channels you don't want.

Rob

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It may be an error in the PSIP data from the broadcaster that the TV interprets as channels, or it may be caused by information services broadcast by the broadcaster. One of my PBS stations has extra data streams that some tuners show as channels. I'd just delete them and not worry about it. I believe that you can have up to 99 channel slots in a ATSC 1.0 signal. Of course there is no way you could have 99 video signals on a single ATSC 1.0 signal.
Thanks dk, I think that is most likely what is going on. So you think it is possible to have a channel say...14.99?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have an (older, 2007) Philips DTV, but it's in storage right now. If yours is anything like mine, it's a real pain for adding/removing channels - there is no "scan add" function so I need to manually add the RF channel or do a complete re-scan.

I suggest doing a complete re-scan and then removing the channels and sub channels you don't want.
I'm starting to see that as well that the Philips TV really doesn't provide the options you'd like with an antenna. I hate to do a rescan because then I may end up losing channels that I currently have saved (if they, at the time of rescan, have a weak signal).

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Thanks dk, I think that is most likely what is going on. So you think it is possible to have a channel say...14.99?
It may even be possible to have more channels. I'm not sure, I'm just going off of my (bad) memory. It's 99, or 999, or something like that. Way more than what a station has bandwidth to use.

Well...not really - it's all black. But I don't know if someone rolled over on the remote or what but on my Philips TV's channel guide it now says 8.1 (abc), 8.2 (watch tv), 8.3 (grit), then somehow in the last few days I've gotten 8.70, 8.71, and 8.72 listed but black. I didn't even know channels in the 100th place were even possible????

So here is my real question...does anyone out there with a Philips TV know how to program channels manually for weak stations. There is a weak station installation option in set-up but it seems to only look for whole numbered analog channels - which makes no sense.

If I accidentally saved/locked in channels 8.70, 8.71, & 8.72 from my remote (maybe from one of my kids playing with it), how can I do it again (and this time purposely search and lock in channels I may actually be able to get)?

Thanks guys!!
Sometimes it's as simple as entering the real channel number on the remote, followed by a period or hyphen, and possibly a sub-channel number, then configure and aim the antenna as needed. Don't be surprised if you see nothing but a black screen initially, since modern televisions don't show a picture unless a usable signal is present. I suggest you try this with a receivable channel you don't already have.