I'm new here and...

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Hello all, My name is Kriss. I just started building my own indoor antenna's using Dipoles, I am not here to offend anyone by being so cheap, just using what works for me. I understand my current project isn't perfect, nor ideal for most people hehe.

My TV Fool report.

This is basically my introduction, just a reference to what I have going on right now in my current project.

If what I am asking is in a sticky, I'll be happy to read it, however, it's nearly time for bed, and I have to work in the AM. So please forgive me! :\

I currently am using a crazy setup, and currently debating how to add VHS/Hi to my design, but I think I am not able to catch the signal anyways, as the signal is 35 miles away, and only 30kW. Pretty much I kind of know what I have in mind, however I am not certain. I wish to fabricate a custom antenna using actual antenna hardware later down the road, but for now I am testing each and every aspect I can utilizing cheap clothes hanger size wire that isn't clothes hangers, but that's where this thought started, using clothes hangers.

Using specific length dipoles to focus on desired frequencies (channels). I'm currently using 3 crazy antenna's, basically the same, for 3 different directions. I have in each "panel" 3 sets of 6" dipoles, 3 sets of 5-1/8" dipoles, and 3 sets of 4-3/8" dipoles while trying to separate each set by 0.25 wavelength from corresponding sets while mixing the other sets between (trying to utilize space) wiring each set "Out of phase" and connecting the sets in the middle "In Phase". I use a piece of corrugated cardboard cut to 13" x 14" cutting out the center 3/4"-1" and inserting the near 16 gauge bare wire in the wavy open spaces when you look at the sides of the cardboard. (the idea about this is maybe I can decorate the panel's later if they are used again later lol) This setup seems to work well for my area. I realized how an antenna was wired up in a roof-top scenario, and originally thought I would mount these panels to my roof, but that does not catch any signal, however centered in my top window panel's, 3 different facing windows (east, north, west) west panel is not in a window however, it is on the wall. It seems to hit the desired towers very efficiently. However, my problem is probably cancellation when I try to utilize 2 antenna's combined together. Some channels work like this, some do not! And when I attempt to utilize my east panel, (that is the same as my west panel) the desired "East" channels do not come in, however, I can get weak signals from the north panel (guessing this is from wave bouncing, going around the apparent interference that is my neighbor's house (dang them for having a house there!!!). I'm currently trying to figure out how to get more bandwidth and/or gain from such small wire (elements). I wonder if bigger/thicker elements, or tubing will bring better clarity to my TV's.

I have found someone's study that basically says, (with my panel's) to place a sheet of aluminum foil on a piece of cardboard, and then mount that to my panel 5/8" - 3/4" away from the elements. This seems to do good, but I again, think my elements are way too small!

I'm also looking to hear input on a roof-top antenna that has wow'd you for distance, and clarity, or even a better design to get by until next year (I've tried the infamous clothes hanger 4 bay bow-tie design with hardly any results compared to my current dipole setup which takes much more time to build. Also, amplification is something I may need later once I do cut the cable, currently I'm trying to sort out this whole Antenna thing again since the big change 5+ years ago. We just now started using our HDTV as an HDTV thanks to this whole OTA out-reach all over the internet.

I hope to educate myself better in this area of antenna's to help myself and maybe others to venture forward if they wish to free themselves of paying for what is possibly already free. If I can help members here, even if it's an icon of what-not-to-do lol I'm subjecting myself to criticism, and I gladly take it. I do test out my crazy idea's, and if it works, I utilize it! However, I'm new to this, but if I am told something is good, and works, I may waste time to attempt to build such a design to test out the "theory" and "logic" behind it. In turn I hope to be able to share my findings without offending others, I am just trying to understand if I do question your thoughts. :D

Last edited:
Hi Kriss, and :welcome:

I suspect many of your problems are due to the indoor setup. Sometimes an indoor antenna is acceptable -- if you can find the "sweet spot" for an antenna. (Mine is high, above a drain pipe that runs all around the building, and close to a window.) Sometimes it will be horrible. And sometimes it will be completely impossible. It largely depends on the construction materials in your building.

To recommend an antenna for you, we need to see your TVFool report. No information about your specific address is revealed. Please copy the link that appears toward top of page and paste it into a post in this thread. This really needs to be done to make any progress, since there's no "one size fits all" antenna solution.

Rick

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
KrissB,

You will be amazed how cheaply you can built antennas (other than simple dipoles). Look at my photo albums.

Jim

I'm a noobie here, not sure if I looked in the right spot or not. I managed to click on your avatar, and found "Photo's" and that was empty for me. I'm guessing I was in the wrong spot lol. Or I am not yet an official member, or another issue may be hindering me.

Very interested in seeing other idea's however,
Kriss

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Last weekend I tore down the kid's Dollar Tree bad-mitten rackets... lol I was looking at buying 25ft of copper tubing, and realized my son's b-day is coming soon... So I held off on the purchase, then I was going thru the summer junk, and found them, and thought, wow, they didn't break them, ironically, I will! :D $2 worth and a little left over I made a 6 leg Log Periodic for a test (based on 1/2 wavelength, and found out later, that it is probably based on 800mhz UHF high side) so I was happy I didn't waste the cash to only goof up a project.

Ok, with that said, now I'd like to rack some brains. I keep seeing different lengths of antenna elements on all these antenna's, obviously, many many many possibilities of "why" they are that long, however I feel the need to ask! Do antenna makers really only base their antenna's for the 1/2 wavelength elements? Or are they utilizing another size (1.5 wavelength, 2.5..., etc) to get more gain/bandwidth.

This is something I would like to know more about, as when I look online, there is only info on 1/2 wavelength elements.

I think right now, I have standing Log Periodic Panel antenna's that have 3 sets of elements, in an odd jumble. Eventually I think I'll re-organize most of my panel's to make a bolder/better indoor antenna. Once I figure out which panel is performing the best, and test a few more idea's, I'll put some pics if I am able to here.

With that being said, where do I find all the pics?

I'm still waiting on my Landlord to decide if we can have an Antenna professionally installed... So yes, I too am stuck with indoor antenna's. I bought an RCA flat antenna (that was in a 1/2" plastic case, naturally, I tore it apart since it was a horrid antenna in my area), and that's what started my dabbling!

Sorry for not planning this speech better! lol

Kriss

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Ton of random info :\

That link worked, cool. Nice Yagi you got there to get Ch 12-1 :D. I built one as my 1st project, using a "Cardboard" frame, rolled a fairly big piece of cardboard up and zip tied it lol. Drilled holes where they were needed, then really struggled to mount the homemade driver. My 1st error was, combining what I read about dipoles (can be wired straight to each 1/2 element to the coax), so I wired the looped driver straight thru. My biggest and 2nd error, I tested it in doors... Clearly after making a few more panels of dipoles... I realized how much I didn't even test my cardboard yagi, granted, it wouldn't last 1 humid day let alone 1 rainy day lol... But for test sakes, I might have gotten 2 hours of results. I currently plan to remake it with 3/4" or 1" PVC. Does the aluminum affect the signal that much, have you tried a pvc framed antenna to see how it varies compared to aluminum or whatever is used now days?

For an update, I have read someone else's post using a Digital converter box, Fox is about the only channel I am concerned with in the one direction. So we are able to catch it now without a pre-amp and using a Magnavox SDTV tuner (we had it in our in-laws basement) we had forgotten we bought it years ago... Now we can't find the remote, but managed to to find a JUMBO remote to power it on at least lol, the huge remote is more of an inconvenience than the 2 tuner setup... :p I had a CBS channel that was clear in that direction, but we will work on that later maybe another pre-amp to pull in the signal. Car's going by garbles my reception, a plane or copter went by a while ago, I thought it would never get past, lol had a lot of interference. Indoor antenna's are not ideal in my perfect world thoughts! But I am currently watching HD Football in true 1080i with very little issues other than the obvious ones. nearly 40 miles away with my Dipole panels. I am still amazed by them, yet I know somehow I can achieve more bandwidth with a bigger setup. Oh, and it's been raining all day. We seen some blackouts at the in-laws from just a touch of rain lol... The HD looked good there, but I think it has more clarity over antenna. I have attempted to get them to try an antenna even if it was one I bought from the store/radio shack/online for them as a gift... They are fools to pay DirectTV ( I listen to them complain every time the Satellite bill comes lol), they are in-laws, they can suffer...

I suppose I should get the TV Fool report, so I'll post that now also, and edit my 1st post to put it there as well.

TV Fool

I currently get:

With my LG Flatron M2262D LCD Tuner + RCA Pre-amp that came with the RCA flat antenna about 8"x6": 33 -> 2-1 NBC, 2-2 AntennaTV (one of my favorites); 39 -> 4-1 CBS (some days it goes out); 38 -> 7-1 ABC (seems to be the most trouble with my newest panel); 32 -> 23-1 CW (awesome signal); 25 -> 25-1 CBLFTD (french language) Canadian channel (comes in great at night, choppy during the day); 41 -> 41-1 GTN HD; 41-2 GTN SD both usually the same broadcast, also Canadian channels, odd setup on their part! But the station is much like Fox; 19 -> 19-1 TVO another Canadian Channel (rarely comes in, not sure what this station shows); 14 -> 29-1 Fox, has came in 1 time, enough for my TV to catch the callsign info, and see the sub-channel that is carried with it, which is; 29-2 TCN (The Country Network) I thought it was (The Christian Network lol) Not much for watching either any ways, however I have Fox from a further tower, lol and it's more reliable... Odd?; I also get in clear days 16 -> 21-1; 21-2; 21-3 PBS network (only on clear evenings I think; 23 -> 51-1; 51-2; 51-3; 51-4; 51-5 a very local station, it comes in with any antenna, I have also noticed, I can simply pick up the coax cable hooked only to the tv, and BAM, that will come in lol... Also to note, this antenna faces North, with a set of Dollar Tree cooling racks (very thin racks, about 8" wide, 12" long doubled up for a reflector about 15" x 12" 1-1/2 to 2" away from the panel, bent 1/4" at the longest ends to fit in my old computer motherboard box that hangs in the window via a rope around the curtain rod. I think it's very odd how this antenna works, very pleased with it however! Also, I get a Canadian Channel that is not yet Hi-def Ch. 22 out of Ottawa Canada, that comes in about 70% of the time.

With the Magnavox Digital Converter wired into Audio/Video RCA connection with no pre-amp: 28 -> 31-1 (awesome signal); 45 -> 8-1 CBS; 8-2 Bounce (currently not working without pre-amp, however somedays I can get it with the antenna that is facing the opposite way, without moving it).

Stations I'd like to focus on next to get: 49, 13, 10, and maybe 7 (in the Southwest). I'm surprized 49 is being so stubborn... :\ I would cut my cable if I had that coming in reliably! That's the channel I made the cardboard yagi for, and realized it needs to be outdoors, not indoors lol...

As I have stated before, Watertown is 100 miles away lol, and Syracuse is 140 miles away, it would be amazing to get those signals as well. I am not sure a 2 story house could hold up a 100 foot tower lol... So I know that dream is short-lived! However if I could get the 3-4 stations I can't currently get, I would easily cut my cable bill, knowing the kids, and wife would be happy!

Later: 43; 14, and maybe one of the lower powered channels to make a test with, if I start to get better results in whatever my next antenna design maybe.

I'll have to make a Photo Album soon.

Regards and thanks for reading,
Kriss

Last edited:
Kriss! Sorry I'm just getting around to replying. I have to admit I looked at your post and thought "too much work right now." Maybe a little less detail, til we get to the thick of things?

I currently plan to remake it with 3/4" or 1" PVC. Does the aluminum affect the signal that much, have you tried a pvc framed antenna to see how it varies compared to aluminum or whatever is used now days?
I dunno. Just repeating your Q here, so a real expert might see it.

maybe another pre-amp to pull in the signal.
Ganging up the pre-amps is probably not your answer.

Indoor antenna's are not ideal in my perfect world thoughts!
No, especially with your TVF Report, you're going to need all the help you can get. I'd like to see it set to an antenna height of 30 feet. From the Transmitter Profile pages, it looks like you might be able to trade a lot of those 1 and 2 edge stations for LOS (Line Of Sight).

TV Fool

Stations I'd like to focus on next to get: 49, 13, 10, and maybe 7 (in the Southwest). I'm surprized 49 is being so stubborn... :\ I would cut my cable if I had that coming in reliably! That's the channel I made the cardboard yagi for, and realized it needs to be outdoors, not indoors lol...
There's the kind of information we need to see. :thumb: Now, an antenna that works better outdoors should still beat the competition indoors. The problem with the yagi indoors may be that it's very directional, or it may be some little design detail that slipped past ya (no offence).

As I have stated before, Watertown is 100 miles away lol, and Syracuse is 140 miles away, it would be amazing to get those signals as well. I am not sure a 2 story house could hold up a 100 foot tower lol... So I know that dream is short-lived! However if I could get the 3-4 stations I can't currently get, I would easily cut my cable bill, knowing the kids, and wife would be happy!
That seems like a reasonable goal.

I'll have to make a Photo Album soon.
Can't wait. :cheer2:

Rick

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Ganging up the pre-amps is probably not your answer.

No, especially with your TVF Report, you're going to need all the help you can get. I'd like to see it set to an antenna height of 30 feet. From the Transmitter Profile pages, it looks like you might be able to trade a lot of those 1 and 2 edge stations for LOS (Line Of Sight).

There's the kind of information we need to see. :thumb: Now, an antenna that works better outdoors should still beat the competition indoors. The problem with the yagi indoors may be that it's very directional, or it may be some little design detail that slipped past ya (no offence).

That seems like a reasonable goal.

Can't wait. :cheer2:

Rick
I'm using 2 antenna's, 1 antenna for each tuner. By tossing another pre-amp in the mix, I just mean to power the 2nd antenna that isn't powered. Sorry for the confusion.

As far as Edge1 and Edge2 I am not sure what that means. However I figured out LOS in a short time. :p I'll double check TVFool for an edjumacational link on that. :p

My main question that stumps me at the moment. I understand 1/2 wave antennas to a certain extent. However, why wouldn't there be more info on 1-1/2 wave antenna's. The reason I ask, in some cases Bigger is better... etc, but I am willing to accept that 1/2 wave could possibly be better, just curious as where it goes beyond the 1/2 wave size. As well as my questioning, rooftop antenna's can be HUGE! and small. Their slogans are often, bigger is better vs these new china antenna's. Again, I'll have to check into this more, simply googling for it doesn't seem to offer much. I tend to get more HAM antenna infothan anything. lol I'll dig some here as well, hopefully I'll find some info so this thread isn't huge. I understand that a full wave antenna will cancel out itself in some way (there may be some I don't understand there).

I think a lot of my problems will go away with a rooftop antenna, and a rotor lol... And yes, my TVFool report is busy! :\

Thanks for taking the time to read, and reply!

Kriss

Kriss something to keep in mind when looking at the variation of tv antenna sizes is the bottom edge of channel 2 is 54 mhz and the upper edge of channel 51 is 698 mhz. There are still a few lo band broadcasters, and channel 2 to 69 antennas are still built. Calculate a 1/2 wave length for 54 mhz and 698 mhz. That alone should go a long ways toward explaining size differences. In your area you will need a vhf hi band antenna for channel 10 and 13. A dipole for channel 10 will be about 29". I think you will need more than a dipole but give it a try. Bow tie antennas are often used at uhf frequencies and in the past have been used for vhf they are about one wave length wide. I sometimes drive by the remains of some vhf bow tie antennas in my area. In my area a single vhf hi band bow tie would work quite well for the vhf channels here, but would be a bit large. TV Fool.
I hope I've answered some of your questions and not created more confusion. You can spend a life time studying antenna theory and still have more questions than answers. Steve

I'm using 2 antenna's, 1 antenna for each tuner. By tossing another pre-amp in the mix, I just mean to power the 2nd antenna that isn't powered. Sorry for the confusion.
OK, but in general I think the consensus is to try an antenna with no amplification first. The first thing the signal hits in any TV is an amplifier optimized for that tuner. Pre-amps are strategically placed components to overcome noise between the antenna and the TV. It does NOT boost the signal. Since it does NOT boost the signal and adds its own noise to a system, it usually does more harm than good, unless you have over 30 feet of coax and multiple splits. You can find pre-amp calculators on the internet, and normally the noise margin goes DOWN with an external amplifier.

As far as Edge1 and Edge2 I am not sure what that means. However I figured out LOS in a short time. :p I'll double check TVFool for an edjumacational link on that. :p
Edgex means the signal has to refract around x obstacles to get to your antenna. With a TVFR, the obstacle is just the ground or perhaps a mountain. TVF does not take buildings or trees into consideration, so if you have any of those in LOS you have to increase x. Quickly becomes untenable.

My main question that stumps me at the moment. I understand 1/2 wave antennas to a certain extent. However, why wouldn't there be more info on 1-1/2 wave antenna's. The reason I ask, in some cases Bigger is better... etc, but I am willing to accept that 1/2 wave could possibly be better, just curious as where it goes beyond the 1/2 wave size. As well as my questioning, rooftop antenna's can be HUGE! and small. Their slogans are often, bigger is better vs these new china antenna's. Again, I'll have to check into this more, simply googling for it doesn't seem to offer much. I tend to get more HAM antenna infothan anything. lol I'll dig some here as well, hopefully I'll find some info so this thread isn't huge. I understand that a full wave antenna will cancel out itself in some way (there may be some I don't understand there).
Welp, the size of an antenna is a grand compromise for all the signals we expect it to pick up. Very few people go to the trouble Fringe Reception did, cutting Yagis to size for different stations 75 miles away, and using switches to go back and forth. People nowadays like to surf. Now there are 2 bay, 4 bay and 8 bay antennas, but I never heard of anyone selling a 3 or a 6 bay! Also, 8 bays is only marginally better than a 4 bays. Why? Because the baluns (transformers) are mismatched. They use the same 300 to 75 Ohm balun for 2, 4 and 8 bays. But if you'd like to make a 3 bay with a custom transformer, you might make history right here on this forum! ;)

I think a lot of my problems will go away with a rooftop antenna, and a rotor lol... And yes, my TVFool report is busy! :\
See, your problem is you only have one "green" easy-pickins station (NM > 34). I'm 48 miles from one transmitter that sends me half a dozen green signals. People go to great lengths to avoid putting in a rotor. They break, and they're pretty inconvenient, but you really might need one! I'm probably going to drop from the thread for a while, so some real experts can cut in.

Best,
Rick

Last edited:
One More Thing

I'm still waiting on my Landlord to decide if we can have an Antenna professionally installed... So yes, I too am stuck with indoor antenna's.
Do you have any "exclusive use" areas that would provide line of sight to any of the transmitters -- i.e. areas where other residents can't go without your permission? If so, technically you don't need the landlords permission... Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov

R.

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Do you have any "exclusive use" areas that would provide line of sight to any of the transmitters -- i.e. areas where other residents can't go without your permission? If so, technically you don't need the landlords permission... Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov

R.
Thanks Rick, I Currently don't have a pre-amp on the one like I said, but it's the what-if factor I think that is getting me. lol You made it clear tho. I however thought (back in the day) an antenna amplifier improved the signal, yet with digital signal, it would make sense that an amp would do more harm than good since it has to be "just right".

As far as the 3 - 4 bay setup, the understanding I have with dipoles must not apply with this antenna type. In dipoles, odd number of dipoles = better results, so the whole 4 bay idea hinders the dipole thought all in itself. I wonder however, if a 3 bay has ever been made, and if so, a 3 - 3 bay may provide better coverage. Then again, if something works why fix it! I've only made one of the 4 bay antenna's. Every tutorial is drastically different! One guy used, 10" V's, another used 14" V's, and I gave up after seeing a 15-1/2" V. If anyone has any info as to how to tune them, I'd be more tempted to give this another attempt.

I'll read up on the "permission" thing. I do see someone has a Dish on the roof, if it isn't active, I could easily slap a small antenna on that with no problems I think. If that wasn't installed while this landlord owned the house then I don't have much of an argument with them, but if it was put up with their consent then well, why can't I have TV!!! lol

Thank again Rick,
Kriss

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Kriss something to keep in mind when looking at the variation of tv antenna sizes is the bottom edge of channel 2 is 54 mhz and the upper edge of channel 51 is 698 mhz. There are still a few lo band broadcasters, and channel 2 to 69 antennas are still built. Calculate a 1/2 wave length for 54 mhz and 698 mhz. That alone should go a long ways toward explaining size differences. In your area you will need a vhf hi band antenna for channel 10 and 13. A dipole for channel 10 will be about 29". I think you will need more than a dipole but give it a try. Bow tie antennas are often used at uhf frequencies and in the past have been used for vhf they are about one wave length wide. I sometimes drive by the remains of some vhf bow tie antennas in my area. In my area a single vhf hi band bow tie would work quite well for the vhf channels here, but would be a bit large. TV Fool.
I hope I've answered some of your questions and not created more confusion. You can spend a life time studying antenna theory and still have more questions than answers. Steve
Yea, the 1/2 wave length is what I base the dipoles on, and I've read about using full wave length. I think this is what confuses me about bow-tie's then, if they use 1 wave length. I think my biggest problem is; how do you tune a bowtie, or calc it correctly for certain freq.? Anyways, like you said, thanks for the info, sorry for having more questions! :p

Like I said above, 10 and 13 are my main concern's, yet, the power they put out makes me think I won't get them. As I can't get a 198kW station that is much closer (tree's hinder that one the most I think though). Any insight on the power of a station? Should I be discouraged by weaker driven stations?

Thanks for taking time to read and reply Steve,
Kriss

The bow tie is a very broad bandwidth antenna. The old amateur radio antenna formulas will get you in the ballpark but now days the experts use computer modeling which is way over my head. On the site were on you can read Kosmic Antennas:Super Quad 4bay Bowtie.
I'll try to due a link to another good site. My computer skills are not good.
DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more
One of my favorite sites for antenna study is Albums By holl_ands - ImageEvent
VHF broadcasters run less power to cover the same area. Generally speaking the higher you go in frequency the more line of site a signal becomes. In this part of Wyoming the broadcasters have chosen to use hi vhf to cover a large hilly valley. Pre-transition two of then used lo vhf. During the transition uhf was given a good test drive here. I know vhf does better in hilly areas but there are not very many trees around here. Where you are at you will probably need a good dual band antenna and rotor. You won't know until you try. It can be fun to experiment and you have done quite well with what you are working with. When it comes time to spend do your home work. I doubt some magic little antenna will do the job at your location.
Steve

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
The bow tie is a very broad bandwidth antenna. The old amateur radio antenna formulas will get you in the ballpark but now days the experts use computer modeling which is way over my head. On the site were on you can read Kosmic Antennas:Super Quad 4bay Bowtie.
I'll try to due a link to another good site. My computer skills are not good.
DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more
One of my favorite sites for antenna study is Albums By holl_ands - ImageEvent
VHF broadcasters run less power to cover the same area. Generally speaking the higher you go in frequency the more line of site a signal becomes. In this part of Wyoming the broadcasters have chosen to use hi vhf to cover a large hilly valley. Pre-transition two of then used lo vhf. During the transition uhf was given a good test drive here. I know vhf does better in hilly areas but there are not very many trees around here. Where you are at you will probably need a good dual band antenna and rotor. You won't know until you try. It can be fun to experiment and you have done quite well with what you are working with. When it comes time to spend do your home work. I doubt some magic little antenna will do the job at your location.
Steve
I agree completely Steve about the "Magic Antenna Theory" lol And I'll check out the links now, thanks a lot for the info.

My latest creation is a Log Periodic using old badmitten rackets that we got at the dollar tree. I need a better mounting idea, taped to cardboard doesn't seem to last lol. I thought about a wooden dowel rod, but it's late at the moment, and a drilling sequence may not be ideal for my health at this hour lol. Everyone is asleep! :p But I think I'll finish it tomorrow, and I'll be happy to start my pic album after I finish that.

Quick observation: In two of his charts he puts the original CM-4221 in for comparison, and it does fairly well on UHF (what it was designed for). His results match the gain figures from Channel Master almost to a T. He talks about how his DIY antenna kits are spaced better (slightly larger) for today's reduced range of frequencies. But this is exactly what the updated CM-4221HD does already! According to Channel Master's figures, the 4221HD gets between 1.4 dB and 2.9 dB more gain than the 4221 until you get to the highest frequencies which are almost never used today.

After adjusting for the 4221HD update, it already beats out his best 4 bay DIY antenna by a hair. If you then do the very simple 5 minute hacks, not including the reflector adjustment, described on a certain Canadian site, you can add another 0.5 dB, and the 4221HD blows 'em all away.

My antenna wins (yay). :bigband:

Kriss take a look at this part of the forum. Antenna R&D I'm an antenna experimenter on a scraps of whatever I can find budget. I've built quite a few 2bays, a couple 4bays, some single bow ties, and both vhf and uhf loops. Take a look at the loop thread. For uhf card board and foil come to mind for temporary in door use. http://www.dtvusaforum.com/antenna-r-d/44615-loop-antenna-engineering-experimentation.html All antennas are temporary they last until you can buy or build something better or the weather tears them down.
Rick I am quite familiar with the Ca site you mentioned. I've been reading the different dtv related sites for sometime now. This is first one I've felt like joining. I probably should have posted some kind of introduction.

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Hey again guys! Just got some pics off the camera on the computer. Now to find where to make an album here. Using my Badmitten Log Periodic mounted/resting on an IV stand? lol... $2.50 Goodwill find... So lets see, $2 for the rackets, some solder, $2.50 for stand, and I paid $5 for some Phillips RG-6U 25' (using 1/2 of that for this antenna) at a resell shop (shady place lol). So $7.50 ($0.50 for solder used) I like it! :D it works for now until I get an outside solution!

Album is up, not sure when it will be viewable.

Last edited: