In Los Angeles county I'm missing ABC and Fox

I'm in Long Beach currently using a UHF/VHF indoor antenna. After the transition I lost several channels. I just did a channel scan and I'm missing channels 6-21.

Of those channels, I want to watch ABC (KABC 7.1) and Fox (KTTV 11.1) Both are listed as strong in my area according to TV Fool. I was able to watch both channels in HD with my current equipment without issue before the transition. Now they do not show up.

I am currently living in a small apartment complex so I am unable to get a roof-mounted outdoor antenna.

Is there anything I can do to resume watching those channels or is there a chance that the problem may fix itself?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I'm in Long Beach currently using a UHF/VHF indoor antenna. After the transition I lost several channels. I just did a channel scan and I'm missing channels 6-21.

Of those channels, I want to watch ABC (KABC 7.1) and Fox (KTTV 11.1) Both are listed as strong in my area according to TV Fool.
Suffering the same dilemma here. I'm a little bit further south of the main station cluster on Mount Wilson, Los Alamitos.

So you're not picking up KSCI 18, even? Is your apartment windows facing north, south, east or west? Or Dennis?

You should try to place your antenna in a northward facing window, unless there's a high-rise or hallway in that direction.

Unfortunately I'm only renting one room in the unit so I don't have much choice as to where to put the antenna. My TV and antenna are about 8 feet from the window. The antenna has a 3-foot cord. Would buying a new antenna with a longer cord and placing it on the windowsill help me get those channels?

My channel guide is like this
2-1
4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4
5-1, 5-2
then 30-1 and a bunch of higher channels.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Unfortunately I'm only renting one room in the unit so I don't have much choice as to where to put the antenna. My TV and antenna are about 8 feet from the window. The antenna has a 3-foot cord. Would buying a new antenna with a longer cord and placing it on the windowsill help me get those channels?

My channel guide is like this
2-1
4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4
5-1, 5-2
then 30-1 and a bunch of higher channels.
If you have been reading here those 2 channels went back to VHF post transition leaving their temporary UHF channel they used pre-transition.

The signals you posted on TVFool are marginal for indoor antenna. But there are some things possible.

Easiest is to go to the store, get a jumper cable of RG6 with ends already one it. Also buy and barrel connector that allows you to add this cable to one on the antenna now. Anything over 10 ft will be too long (if you can only find a 12 or 15 ft, that is ok). But just long enough to move the antenna anywhere in the apt or room, even the ceiling. Now you can move the antenna around. Getting near a window for VHF often is the key, so try that first once can reach that far.

Another trick is if it's just an inexpensive rabbit ears with loop style for $10 or so, and you can put it outside try that. Even if weather gets to it in year, they are cheap.

You are also in a place you could run a small amp. The average small amp you find at the store is too noisy. Winegard recently came out with a good low noise amp.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANWHDP269

Though this is designed to mount on a pole, you could put the amp part at the end of the 3 feet of coax from the antenna. Then run any length jumper to the power supply that comes with it, then a short jumper from behind the TV, from the power supply to the TV. This can really boost a set of rabbit ears much better than buying rabbit ears with a built in amp because this amp is very low noise. Some people even hang the rabbit ears out a window by the coax and keep the amp inside. That amp is rated for outside but it has to be oriented correctly as like attached to a mast or pole to keep out rain.

Joel Schectman

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi I am a reporter with BusinessWeek doing a story on the the digital transition. I would really like to talk to those of you like nosignals and divx hacker who have been having trouble with their television reception since the transition.

You can email me at commentstojoel@gmail.com

Joel Schectman

PS you can see my last article on the digital transition here.

tsb

DTVUSA Rookie
i'm in the san gabriel valley. at the time of the conversion i was getting everything but about two weeks ago i stopped getting cbs and fox - and kcop (13) is spotty at times.

when the fall season starts, i guess i'll start watching the CBS shows i want over the internet - or stop watching.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
i'm in the san gabriel valley. at the time of the conversion i was getting everything but about two weeks ago i stopped getting cbs and fox - and kcop (13) is spotty at times.
Try this first:

Lost Channels? The Memory Erase Scan

Depending on the tuner, it is possible to get some stations that went to VHF-high, but not others, at the transition. This applies to both KCBS and KTTV. But note that if you get KCOP 13.1 at all, the issue with that particular broadcast is an unsuitable/mis-aimed/mis-located antenna, not the tuner's memory.

R

robIrvine92604

KABC 7.1 just stopped.

Installed a new antenna Monday, tested all channels successfully. Wed night, part way through "the middle" KABC 7.1 stopped getting any signal at all -- nothing. The DVR recording shows no pixelation, signal was nice and strong until it vanished. What is going on?
Rob
Irvine CA