Indiana Digital Television Reception Info

Spoke on the phone with a local Indiana channel on uhf, and they stated that they are not transmitting on full power and also that their antenna is not on top of their tower ,and that all of that will change when they switch over, which will improve their signal. Where can I find more information just for the state of Indiana and DTV? There has to be others that want to know too.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Is this what you are looking for?

RabbitEars.Info

From there you can click on each station, and then click on Technical Data and Screencaps. That opens up a view where you may be able to see their current license and their plans for changes. It isn't really intended for public consumption, so you may have dig around a bit and do some self-teaching to come to understand the information being provided to you.

Also, if you want more detail, you can click on the FCC Query link. That brings you to a page showing all the permits pertaining to that station. There you can see the current operating permits (either for just the digital signal, or if both analog and digital are currently being broadcast, for both the analog and digital signals), as well as construction permits showing what they're planning on moving to.

I don't know which station you were referring to, but perhaps it was WTTK. It is currently operating on Channel 54, with a Contour Range of 26 miles. When they moved to Channel 29, that'll increase to 50 miles. Hmmm... but that already happened. Which station were you talking to?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Wow -- that's another great site. I had no idea some of these sites I'm learning about here existed. This site was very informative in helping me to see how the tower locations related to one another. Thanks.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Spoke on the phone with a local Indiana channel on uhf, and they stated that they are not transmitting on full power and also that their antenna is not on top of their tower ,and that all of that will change when they switch over, which will improve their signal. Where can I find more information just for the state of Indiana and DTV? There has to be others that want to know too.
Your county engineer is probably the best contact for local DTV information. They either maintain the translator towers or know who does. tvfool, rabbitears and the others only have access to FCC information and the counties don't always communicate that information to the FCC. It's well worth the phone call.

ercjncpr

DTVUSA Member
Your county engineer is probably the best contact for local DTV information. They either maintain the translator towers or know who does. tvfool, rabbitears and the others only have access to FCC information and the counties don't always communicate that information to the FCC. It's well worth the phone call.
But keep in mind that not every county has an engineer, probably just the rural ones, if there are a lot of translators in your area.

ercjncpr

DTVUSA Member
who is responsible for operating translators? Is it the city or county? or are they privately owned?
Most translators are privately owned, either by the main tv station that they rebroadcast or perhaps by a local group of citizens that chose to bear the expense of building or operating one.

Here is one example, from Idaho Public Television:

What if I get my TV from a rural translator?
Currently, the federal mandate does not include rural translators or low power television transmitters, though operators of these systems may voluntarily switch to digital if they so choose. Most likely for the foreseeable future, you will not be affected, and you will not have to change any of your current equipment.

Idaho Public Television operates 39 translators across Idaho, and we are planning to continue to offer analog service from them. At the same time, we are closely monitoring what other translator districts and commercial TV stations with translators are doing. If there is a mass shift by these entities to switch from analog to digital service, Idaho Public Television will most likely do so also.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
who is responsible for operating translators? Is it the city or county? or are they privately owned?
In some areas the county runs translators. Some are privately owned. I don't personally know of a city that owns a translator, but there probably are some. If you contact the county they will direct you to the person who is responsible for the translator in your county for sure.

Orange County, CA does not have engineers who are in charge of anything to do with TV/Radio translators. I really think this knd of thing mostly exists in the rural areas.
Just reading into this article FCC Office of Engineering and Technology to host tutorial on DTV translators it looks like each state has a TV translator coordinator. There's also a National Translator Association too. Probably doesn't help much but I haven't been able to find anything else about county engineers and translators.