Indoor Antenna Review: Mohu Leaf Plus

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
[TABLE="class: tr-caption-container"]

[TD="class: tr-caption, align: center"]

[/TD]

[/TABLE]
Many people, mostly apartment dwellers, are unable to have an outdoor TV antenna for a variety of reasons. The FCC has issued "Over The Air Reception Device" (OTARD) rules that specify when outdoor antenna installations may be restricted. You can read the FCC OTARD regulations here. If you find that you can't install an outdoor antenna after reading the OTARD rules, then your only option is an indoor antenna.

I recently was provided with a Mohu Leaf Plus amplified indoor antenna for review. I gave the Leaf Plus a spin and put it up against a Eagle Aspen Dtv2B uhf 2 bay outdoor TV antenna
. I located both antennas on the top shelf of a bedroom closet and connected them to a 32" Coby TV.

Here's my results.

The Two Bay Antenna:
[TABLE="class: tr-caption-container, align: center"]

[TD="align: center"]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

I've used and recommended the Antennas Direct DB2, as an indoor antenna for years. It's inexpensive, effective, and well made. Designed as short to medium range outdoor antennas, they have been used by many as an indoor antenna.

I assembled the Eagle Aspen and placed it in closet in about 15 minutes and aimed it towards the transmitters. I connected my coax (not included) and did a channel scan: 26 channels, All UHF - it did not receive KUTA-LP on VHF channels 8.1-8.3. I expected thath, since the DB2 was designed for UHF channels 14-69, and is tuned toward the higher frequency range of those channels. I tried moving the antenna but it changed nothing - still no channel 8.

The Mohu Leaf Plus:
[TABLE="class: tr-caption-container"]

[TD="align: center"]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

The Mohu Leaf Plus, shown here in the box, is the amplified version of the Mohu Leaf flat antenna. Flat panel indoor antennas are relative newcomers, and there are a number of them now on the market including the WallTenna and the Winegard Flatwave. The Mohu Leaf and Leaf Plus are currently the highest rated indoor TV antennas on Amazon.com.

Out of the box, the Leaf Plus consists of the antenna with attached cable, a USB power supply and USB cable. One of the things that I liked was that you could plug the USB cable into the USB port on your TV, thus eliminating the need for the always-on power supply.

There is really no assembly required. In 5 minutes I plugged the USB cable to my TV and connected the coax to the antenna in, placed the Leaf Plus in the same location that the DB2 was in, and started a scan for channels. I found 26 channels - same as the DB2! But they weren't the same channels. The Leaf Plus picked up VHF channels 8.1-8.3, it did not get KSL-HD, channels 5.1-5.3, broadcasting from a translator on a much higher UHF frequency.I tried moving and re-aiming, but with no success.

Considerations

Understand that with an indoor or outdoor TV antenna, as in real estate, "location is everything". Before you do anything, go to TVfool and enter your location and the height of your planned antenna. If TVfool tells you that your not going to get much, then you probably won't do well with any indoor antenna. Likewise, if you live in a basement, your odds aren't good. The same warning applies to metal and brick structures: mobile homes, homes metal siding, and also with stucco or brick veneer often have a metal backing or screen that can block signal.

Conclusion
If you're going to be stuck in a situation where you can't have an outdoor antenna, don't plan on moving to a place where you can have an outdoor antenna, and you can't hide a DB2 or pass it off as an industrial sculpture, then the Mohu Leaf or Leaf Plus is your best free TV solution.

Some comments ...

- You could have given even more detail by linking to a discussion on this site:
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...ussion/48164-reccommed-me-indoor-antenna.html

One problem with the Putman comparison is he never gives compass headings or pointing information. His explanation: this is "just like a typical user."

- The Leaf is no longer the #1 rated indoor antenna on Amazon. That honor goes to the Winegard Flatwave, which has a real patent , BTW. I think we should be recommending the Solid Signal HD-BLADE, which is the Flatwave, but cheaper and without the thin 15' cable. You can get quad sheilded RG-6 in any color desired, cut to size.

Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Indoor TV Antenna (HDBLADE) from Solid Signal

RG6 Coaxial Cable 12ft White | eBay

Total cost: $32.98

- If you include 2 bays, then the Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf, the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF, and the Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB, along with the Flatwave, all beat out the Leaf in ratings.

- The old DB2 does look identical to the Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf, but it may not be possible to find one. Antennas Direct DB2e has taken its place, and theoretically should be better for the new reduced UHF reception range.

- Comparing the Leaf plus to the Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf isn't really apples to apples -- $20.76 vs. $66.10 [best prices on Amazon, incl. S&H] -- you should slap an amplifier on the Eagle Aspen -- or leave it off the Leaf. The amplified Leaf Plus has a mediocre Amazon rating of 3.7 stars. I think people expect a bit more for 66 bucks. ;)

Last edited: