Indoor antennas

n2rj

Staff member
My brother recently moved to the west coast and is now stationed at Camp Pendleton near San Diego.

He doesn't want to pay for cable so he wants to try OTA there. He had OTA back in Florida where he used to live. He's living on base so I don't believe he's allowed to put up an antenna on the house.

So any recommendations for a good indoor antenna or maybe one that could be mounted outside in stealth mode?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Not promising, but not hopeless. 8 VHF is problematic, but nothing serious, and he should get ABC, CBS and FOX, and maybe PBS and NBC, too. A lot of 1- and 2-edge, but they're strong enough signals.

I think a nice home made 4 bay in a window facing south would work- I would use EV's KSQ design as the basis, simple wooden construction with a reflector.

Another alternative would be a pole in a bucket of cement with a 4-bay or U75r on top. (I have a U75r that pulls in channel 8 here at just a bit more signal than HIS channel 8, and mine is 45 degees off beam - so I know it would work)

Ryan, can you get us a TVfool from his exact address?

SWHouston

Staff member
Ryan,

Uoo, that chart doesn't look all that good, an Indoor probably won't give him very much.
If you can get a Outdoor Antenna in a southerly facing window like has been said, it may be a little better.

His situation sounds very little different than an HOA. Most times one can put up an OTA Antenna, IF it doesn't look like one !
Here are some Antennas which go relatively unnoticed because of their design, and are often mistaken for Satellite Dishes. Possibly one of these styles may be acceptable for a Patio or "subtle" rooftop install.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

n2rj

Staff member
Yes, he lives on base. The lacrosse and square shooter, are they simply 2 bay bowties with a cover?

I'll try to get a TVFool.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yes, he lives on base. The lacrosse and square shooter, are they simply 2 bay bowties with a cover?

I'll try to get a TVFool.
For the Lacrosse, yes. I'm not sure what the square shooter is. It may be a 4 bay or a fractal.

My "beagle ear" antenna workes very well for high VHF. I pull in channels 7 and 9 with 50% signal strength and 90% signal quality out of my north facing window. And last night I was pulling in RF 18 on the south side of the house (opposite the towers). I could build him one for a price and paint it olive drab to make it fit in on base. ;)

Combo Antenna.jpg

TV Fool

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'd say if he doesn't have a south facing window for a home made 4 bay, and can't do an antenna in a bucket - have him sign up for the basic cable, and make sure he asks if they offer a MILITARY DISCOUNT.

But I sure would try my damndest to get free TV - even if its only $10 a month it's $120 plus taxes a year, a lot on a military salary.

SWHouston

Staff member
Ryan,

Sorry, but I've never actually cracked either of them open, to find out how they were set up. But, you can take a look at what info is available, for the...

Square Shooter...
Winegard SS-1000 SquareShooter UHF Only Digital/Analog/HDTV TV Antenna System (SS-1000) - Winegard - SS-1000 - Antennas&sku=

and the La Crosse...
Antennas Direct Lacrosse UHF High Definition TV Antenna (LACROSSE) - Antennas Direct - Lacrosse - 853748001019 Antennas&sku=853748001019

Keep in mind, that both of the above are UHF only, so there will be a one or more channels which he won't be able to get. Also, there may be some availability issue with the La Crosse, but, it has more range than does the Shooter.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Ryan,

If your brother's housing unit has an acoustical tile ceiling, he could make a multibar 'cut-to-channel-9' Yagi from any kind of wire and thumbtack it to his ceiling. No boom would be required, only correct length elements, correctly spaced. It might grab channels 8 and 10 and it would cost virtually nothing to try.

In the future, if I add a floor to my home I intend to test and if successful, 'build-in' wire Yagis between my rafters and the drywall. I am certain it would work for my west and south stations and I could eliminate the rotor on my 4221 (although I wouldn't).

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Ryan.

Does your brother have an Attic on his place, sometimes one can get a very large Antenna unfolded up there, and get the gain he would need, plus, it could be a full range antenna as well. That's what I have for my OTA.

jdm

DTVUSA Rookie
I am trying to decide between two different indoor antennas: ClearStream Micron XG Indoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna (just released) or Antenna Pros AX-912 Indoor Antenna & iView Converter Box. On the AX912, I like the 125 mile reception range and that I can hook up two TVs. I am about 29 miles north of the towers in the Dallas area. Has anyone had any experience with the AX-912?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The Antenna Pros AX-912 is just a cheap loop-rabbit ear antenna with a big (noisy) amp. I'd stay a long way away from the Antenna Pros AX-912. You would do better with a RCA ANT-111. The Micron is made by Antennas Direct which is a good company. Another antenna that has good ratings is the Mohu. http://www.gomohu.com/ Just based on the ratings, but no personal experience, I'd say the Mohu would be a good bet.

Just as a note you will need high VHF capability for WFAA (ABC) and KFWD. All of the antennas listed above have it.

Last edited: