Informing Folks About Cord Cutting

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It’s amazing to me how many people don’t realize they can receive free, over-the-air high definition television for free with the use of an antenna.

Last month I wrote a column about finally cutting the cord, buying a cheap antenna and supplementing OTA TV with over-the-top services like Netflix and Hulu. I even bought a $30 Blu Ray player on eBay because it was cheap and gave my wife and I another option for watching a movie, or catching up on a TV series on a binge-watching Saturday.

While most of what I write on here isn’t of much interest to my family and friends, I did share my column with them and received similar feedback: “Wait, you can get high definition for free?” Another response: “You don’t pay a monthly bill?”

You’d be surprised how many people haven’t a clue that HD TV is free over-the-air.

I’ve seen a couple commercials on KUSA Denver about being able to access HD TV over-the-air for free. Dyle’s mobile DTV commercial also plays on the Gannett-owned NBC affiliate every so often, promoting free TV without racking up high data charges:

The NAB’s new campaign touches on the importance of local broadcasting, especially during times of emergency. This past week’s horrific weather in Oklahoma was a perfect example. The commercial is emotional and effective, but I would have loved to see a line in it that says, “And all of this is available for free.”...

The Leichtman Research Group said this week that U.S. pay TV service providers collectively lost subscribers for the first time over a four-quarter period. The reason?

“First-time ever annual industry-wide losses reflect a combination of a saturated market, an increased focus from providers on acquiring higher-value subscribers, and some consumers opting for a lower-cost mixture of over-the-air TV, Netflix and other over-the-top viewing options,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for the research group, in a statement.
Read More: Informing The Public About Cutting The Cord | Playout

Of course lots of the ignorance is the result of broadcasters drinking the retransmission fee Kool-Aid. You can't get $0.75 to $1.00 a month per subscriber from people who are getting your signal the old fashioned way for free. Of course if broadcasters had a greater share of the eyeballs they could charge more for advertising. Of course the place to get money when you need it is to squeeze the consumer as much as possible, ;) then scream when they "cut the cord."

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Dyle is not free. They will start charging for it next year.
From Dyle's FAQ:
Is there a subscription fee for Dyle mobile TV?
Dyle mobile TV is available with no subscription fee through the end of 2013
People need to get their FAQ's straight.

dkreichen1968

Staff member

Yes, and as soon as they start charging for it, it will die. Why would someone pay for a live TV service on top of their data plan? You can't just keep squeezing the consumer. Consumers are limited resources that are dependant on good paying jobs, which don't exist in a "service economy."

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
From Dyle's FAQ:

Yes, and as soon as they start charging for it, it will die. Why would someone pay for a live TV service on top of their data plan? You can't just keep squeezing the consumer. Consumers are limited resources that are dependant on good paying jobs, which don't exist in a "service economy."
I dunno, Aereo TV seems to be making a business out of it.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I dunno, Aereo TV seems to be making a business out of it.
Aereo is more than just a live TV service. You get all local broadcasts (not just dyle channels) with DVR service.

Personally, I don't see the value in Aereo unless your in a poor reception area like the concrete jungle of New York City. If you have good upload speeds from your ISP, and good reception, you can set the same thing up yourself for a few hundred dollars. It would pay for its self within a few months time.

Personally, I don't see the value in Aereo unless your in a poor reception area like the concrete jungle of New York City.
Or in a fringe area, or in an apartment ... You do realize that as Aereo expands, all broadcast stations, from everywhere, will be available to all areas, right? The signal will reach as far as your credit card. That means everyone will have antenna TV, MeTV, THIS ... yadayadayada. [Martha Stewart voice:] "It's a good thing."

If you have good upload speeds from your ISP, and good reception, you can set the same thing up yourself for a few hundred dollars. It would pay for its self within a few months time.
I guess you mean with a sling box? Horse and buggy.

Rick

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
It goes against the simplicity of the times. To tell you the truth, something happened this week that has been seriously thinking about cutting out Comcast. I really need that money but I just don't want to spend that start up money either and, again, my antenna needs repair any way ... but I've been really wondering if I could do it. The monthly fee is just beyond ridiculous and now that the money is really in need ... just don't know. Anyway, very little stays free. Hook and charge 'em.

It goes against the simplicity of the times.
The times ain't so simple, but maybe the simplicity is in us. A few years ago I had to face up to my "complexity limit." I bought a GPS system that just needs 2 or 3 hours of setup (old model that needs to be upgraded online) -- it's still sitting in the box. I'm 100% sure I could do it, but I'm 200% sure I don't want the headaches.

To tell you the truth, something happened this week that has been seriously thinking about cutting out Comcast. I really need that money but I just don't want to spend that start up money either and, again, my antenna needs repair any way ... but I've been really wondering if I could do it. The monthly fee is just beyond ridiculous and now that the money is really in need ... just don't know.
Sorry I can't come to your house to fix it. All I can do is lay out options...

- ReadOn. I keep thinking I should try this free GPL program that streamlines internet TV, but I guess my complexity limit foils me again. Might be perfect for you though! You can try it for free, and you might find you get all the channels you want minus the CATV fee. I read there are several "underground" standard cable stations that get updated daily.
- tvpc.com (click LIVE at the top for channel listings). Along the same lines as the above, but make sure you have antivirus software and ad blocking software onboard before you try it.
- Indoor antenna installation. If you can't find a friend to come fix your outdoor antenna, you could start looking into your indoor reception with an $8 RCA loop/rabbit ear combo. I saw it for $8 SOMEwhere recently. Idea is to locate a sweet spot indoors before you spend $50+ on a real antenna.

Rick