Insignia CECB Review With Pictures

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The Insignia NS-DXA1 Digital-to-Analog Converter Box is elgible for purchase with the $40 TV converter box coupon from stores qualified to receive and process the coupon cards.

The NS-DXA1 used for this review was purchased off of Ebay for $18 (including shipping) to help a friend ready their analog television set for DTV.

Out of the box, the The NS-DXA1 comes with a slim remote control and the basic necessities needed to connect to your television set. As pictured below, this unit includes both an RF cable (Also known as a coax cable) and a composite cable (Red-White-Yellow). Note: Only one of these cords will be needed to connect this converter box to your television set. Optionally, if you have a VCR you would like to hook up, you could connect the RF cable from the output of your converter box to the input of your VCR, and use the composite cable from the output of the VCR to the composite input of your television.

On the back of the unit, there are two RF connection options which include an antenna input and "To TV (RF)" Output. As pictured below One set of Composite (yellow,red,white) connectors are also included and can be used for video/audio output if your television has the proper Composite inputs. Connecting a converter box with composite cables to your TV will offer better picture quality over connecting with RF cables.

Installation of the DXA1 took less than 3 minutes using the Composite connection cable. The unit emits an annoying blue glow during use (powered on) and an annoying red glow when turned off. If you're planning on using this converter box in a bedroom, I would advise unplugging the power cord when not in use or blocking the lighted power status with a small book or object because it is bright at night!

After powering up for the first time, the welcome screen - auto setup process began and was easy to follow. One nice feature on the DXA1 includes the auto channel scan option, which will automatcally search for digital channels available.

For review purposes, I used an old fashioned bunny ears type antenna. Accoding the the signal meter on the NS-DXA1, I received very good ratings for dtv signal reception on all of the digital channels available, with the exception of the occasional pixelation on lower VHF frequencies. A quick adjustment of the bunny ear antenna in a different direction cleared up these issues. Picture quality on the NS-DXA1 seemed comparible to the Zenith DTT900 I use at our house with a like antenna, though both units are manufactured by LG and contain the same digital tuners.

One drawback to the NS-DXA1 is the limited program guide. Pressing the "Guide" button on the remote will show what's currently on a channel and what's coming up next. If you want to view what's on a different channel, you physically have to tune to that channel first, an allow the information to load. Load times usually take a couple of seconds. Would have been nice to see a full menu of channels and programming listed that some cable and satellite services offer with their program guides.

Conclusion

Simple installation, easy setup, and great video quality. Overall, the Insignia NS-DXA1 is a great converter box and offers an easy solution for those wanting to upgrade their old analog televisions for DTV.

yeah that's what i figured. they both have the exact same menu, remote control, and box styling.

I don't really care about the limits, i mean for the price i will take a few limits. if i really needed all the features they could get i'd expect to pay more. you take what you can get. but for me, i like simplicity (still nice to have any kind of EPG, since analog sure as sugar didn't!) and so long as my box WORKS i'm happy. most of my first problems wasn't the antenna, although i blamed it on the antenna and bought tons of em to have the same problem, but most of the problems i had were due to faulty/sub-par boxes.

This one and the Zenith that shares its form-factor are really bad at red-zoning if the signal wavers at all. you need to reboot to fix it and that can get quite annoying when it red-zones over and over again. you really need to be sure it's got a perfectly steady signal, which ain't happening in the wind. too much fluctuations in the meter and it will peg red and stay there.