Intermittent Reception Que.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Shasta,

Congratulations on your progress but my take is somewhat opposite from others here. The antenna (photo) you posted may be good for European or Chinese television reception, but the elements are far to short to efficiently receive North American television. Based on your TV dial, channels 83 down to 52 have been eliminated in the Western world.

I'd try different antennas ... anything else. They are cheap to buy and to sell on Craigslist.

Jim
I hate to argue with you, Jim... but the antenna from Stellar labs (in the pic) does work quite well in the USA. I have installed several (over 10) of them and they are, in fact, quite "stellar" performers, well constructed, and inexpensive! The antenna the OP has, however, is not for VHF.

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I hate to argue with you, Jim... but the antenna from Stellar labs (in the pic) does work quite well in the USA. I have installed several (over 10) of them and they are, in fact, quite "stellar" performers, well constructed, and inexpensive! The antenna the OP has, however, is not for VHF.
I was just reading posts on this thread http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...nna-solution-me-antennaweb-info-included.html

Although the OP on that post lives on the opposite side of the country from me. It seems like he has a similar problem (now resolved). Apparently he bought an new cm antenna and removed the reflectors to get channels in both directions. What is weird to me is that I have a similar problem and was asking similar questions. I have a directional antenna and am receiving an uhf channel off the back of the antenna pointed in the opposite direction. This channel is 28 miles away. As I said above the little rca amp solved all of my problems and the picture quality (hd) is better than I ever got with Dish or Direct. We are very pleased with the quality now which is very clear. I'm glad we cut the cord.

Yes reception off the back side of an antenna is quite common depending on the design of the antenna. I'm always hesitant to suggest building or modifying an antenna for bi-directional use as many do not feel they have the skill or knowledge to make such a project work. At my location I currently use a home built bidirectional antenna. In the past I have used small directional VHF/UHF antennas and had no problem receiving the strong VHF signals off the back side of the antenna, but had one less UHF channel off the back side which was not really needed anyway.
While there are not currently any good bidirectional antennas on the market it is not real difficult to put one together out of available antennas and few other parts, or build from hardware store parts.
While I've not seen any gain charts for the Stellar Labs tri-boom style antennas that I actually believe. There are more believable gain charts published by Solid Signal on the antennas that they sell that appear to be from the same manufacturer. All of them show a peak gain at around 800 mHz and appear to be designed for best performance from 650 to 800mHz, but still have good performance lower in the band. While it is speculation on my part I would expect the other antennas from the same manufacture to be built for the same frequencies. While not optimized for the North American television market broad banded enough to be marketed in many countries. Widely marketed television antennas are a broad band width compromise.
Steve

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Wow. You really have a wealth of knowledge of this stuff, Steve. Thanks for taking time for the explanation. When our weather improves next week, I'm going to check all the coax connections. The one from the wall to the dvr was a little loose which I discovered when I hooked up the rca amp. There were a very few slight fluctuations on a uhf channel that shows 100% strength and quality. I'm beginning to wonder if that might be caused by some type of local interference. There are a few ham antennas up within a few blocks of here. However, those may be hf or vhf. The dvr+ does have a wifi dongle and external hard drive , but I would doubt that could be an interference. My wife was doing laundry and the new fangled washer has a bunch of electronic stuff. Our alarm system is mostly hard wired, but does have a couple of wireless stations. Our cell phones are blue toothed to our cordless phone system. I can see where the interference source might prove quite difficult to locate. Again, thanks for your valued help.

Stan

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
After all my research, an amp, and suggestions from folks here, the fading pixels and sound happened again at around 9:30 last night and it continued until 10pm. Looking back it does seem that the reception problems on that one particular channel happen around the same time. Other times are fine as are all the other channels. I'm still trying to get out and check all the coax connections. That's #1 on my list. I think what might be interesting is to see if the same problem with the channel also happens on my wife's tv which has it's own tuner in another room. The next step might be to follow another suggestion on here and point the antenna to the main transmitter of the bad channel 58 mi SSE of here. Currently the antenna is pointing WNW (300deg magnetic). Finally, I could go to the other antenna recommended and try different orientations for it. I don't know if there's some type of filter for this either. Guess I'll head for Google. My wife really wants that channel and is making noises about signing up for cable. I would really hate to do that though. We've already spent $600 on what we have now.

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I would try re aiming before anything else.
No problems at all on the 21st watching the same channel. Since the translator for this channel is on the same mountain as other channels, I'm wondering if some switching or something may occur at the same time causing interference. I used to ride my mountain bike up there and the antennas and small buildings are not far apart. In fact the servers for an internet provider I used to have are up there. Snow and ice have caused some problems in the past, but it's clear here now. However, your suggestion is one that I was thinking of doing anyway. I could rotate the antenna 180 deg. (approx.) and try for the primary transmitter rather than the translator. That seems like the next logical step. If that didn't work, I guess that I could get the recommended antenna. I'm taking my time trying to learn and think things through.

Thanks for all the suggestions very much. Stan

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Since some time has gone by, I decided to do an update:

The little RCA amp must have conked out. One tv without a dvr or amp was coming in fine but the other was dropping pixels and sound. I removed the amp and all was well so.....

I've finally determined that the reception problem we have on the CBS channel (uhf) is caused by interference. It always happens at the same time, but not necessarily every week--when we are trying to watch our favorite programs. It can last for 30 mins to 2 hours. we have been able to catch some of the missed programs as reruns though. We do have CBSN on our amazon fire tv. CBS does have an app, CBS Access, I suppose I could stream that with my tablet, but its a paid monthly subscription and I think it has a 1 day delay.

We are surrounded by foothills and a few mountains here and in a fringe area. I wish I could ask someone else how their OTA reception is in our neighborhood, but they use satellite or cable.

I guess that sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Stan

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for reminding me again. That antenna is cheap enough to try and may solve the interference problem. It will be sighted 180 deg opposite my current antenna. The only vhs station we use is pbs so we'll see what happens. I have some medical problems right now that prevent me from climbing up to change the antenna, but maybe by the end of next month or sooner. I'll post back on this thread again with the results. I appreciate your help.

G

I realize your question was posted almost a year ago, but did you ever figure it out? I've recently switched to OTA and just discovered that when my dishwasher is running it can drop my signal strength from 84 to less than 30 (even the teens in some instances), low enough that watching tv is impossible. Anybody else ever have that issue?

G

@Guest. Sorry, I have no suggestions for you since we are not running appliances when we have our interference problems. Our interference problem only occurs between 8pm and 10pm local time, but not everyday either. It can lest from 3-5 to 45 minutes. Sometimes the screen goes totally blank and the sound is also gone. Right now, I'm not so sure that a different antenna will solve my problem since it will be literally 180 deg in reverse. We are receiving one station off the back end right now, but it is the weakest station. The simple truth is that I'm not sure if I want to take the time to change antennas based on what seems like a "crap shoot" to me. We do have many other tv shows to watch on Amazon Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. We switch to one of those when the interference starts. I'm the rare person in this neighborhood who has gone OTA. Everyone else has satellite or cable. There are some HAM antennas within a few blocks of here, also.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Your meter is a signal quality meter, not a signal strength meter and a clean stream of digital data is required for your tuner to be able to decipher it. Your dishwasher is apparently emitting electrical noises that are finding its way into your TV tuner or Converter Box and that 'noise' is confusing your tuner. It is most likely the electric motor and if the problem happens on several or all of your channels, the noise is likely being introduced into the AC power line.

Do you have two-wire or modern three-wire electrical outlets in your home? If you have two-wire service, a electrician could add a ground wire so the appliance is properly grounded and that might resolve the problem. Or, you may have a defective motor that needs to be replaced.

Jim

ShastaGeezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
04_27_2016 Update: No interference now. It's been over a month and whatever was messing up our CBS channel is now gone. The HD reception is great. I didn't make any changes to the antenna or equipment. We are no subscribing to Amazon. Hulu, Netflix, and Feeln (Hallmark). Of course they are all on internet tv and we have 66mps for that. In summary, what we have is working for us now. If we watched NBC more, I would re-aim or get a different antenna. We never did identify the source of the interference.