Internet filter for kids?

How many of you have an Internet filter for your kids so they don't accidentally or purposely wander into the XXX rated sections of the web? I have a free filter, K9, that seems to work really well. We also keep our computer in a public place (no bedrooms) where everyone can see what's going on as they walk by.

Voyager

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have been looking for a better filter. I forgot about the K9 software. Do you have the web address, that you could share with us? Thanks.

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
I think the best filter is watching your kids. Up until all of us were over 12 we had our computer in the family room where everyone hung out in the family. When we got older we were allowed our own computers in our own bedrooms...but yeah I think it's good to have the computer in a public place.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Oh yes, I definitely agree. We do not put any computers in the kids room. I have tried it with two teenagers and both times it turned out badly. I try to trust them and give them just enough rope to hang themself, so to speak. They just can't seem to resist the temptation to go where they know they shouldn't.

I have been looking for a better filter. I forgot about the K9 software. Do you have the web address, that you could share with us? Thanks.
Hi Voyager. Here's the link to the K9 website:

K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software

It's nice to know that other parents have guidelines to monitor their kids when using their computer. We thought our first son wouldn't venture into the outer darkness of the Internet and unfortunately we were proven wrong. Ever since then, we've had K9 on the computer to minimize problems with the other kids. Better safe than sorry, right?

I think the best filter is watching your kids. Up until all of us were over 12 we had our computer in the family room where everyone hung out in the family. When we got older we were allowed our own computers in our own bedrooms...but yeah I think it's good to have the computer in a public place.

I think that's a great first step, dreamr, but what if no one is home? Can your kids still access the Internet with their own log on name? Not saying that you are wrong in what you are doing, but just giving you something to think about. We had the same setup with our computer but I made the mistake of letting our kids have their own log in and password for easy access. Boy, that was a mistake!

nick

DTVUSA Member
Why dont you use a internet security with a parental control in it which is also password protected if some one tries to disable it. Its better you switch to these...

Sited

DTVUSA Jr. Member
With reading everyone's post, we should all be aware that those useless filters can easily be bypassed - especially if your child is at the age of 13 or older, there's too many ways those kinds of things can be exploited. The best filter, like someone else previously mentioned, is keeping your eye on your child. Make sure the comptuer's in a public space where you can always view them, and you'll have no problems.

Aiyaaaa

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah, and the thing about internet filters is they can be EASILY exploited/glitched/bypassed.. I mean it just takes a matter of finding a hidden proxy, or searching some random videos on youtube to go beyond those useless filter.. just teach your kid what's right, and keep an eye on them, and put the computer where the monitor can always be visible.. and make sure the speakers are up!

Googled

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well like everyone said, not all internet filters are good, and they are obviously easily bypassed upon.. and I'm not going to repeat what everyone else said, but just do what you can YOURSELF to help your kids, and everything will be fine.