Internet TV catching on

rsmliu

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Dtvuser2009 - Can you get blue ray with the Acer Aspire? I love HBO. Could I pull the plug on cable and still watch curb your enthusiasm on internet tv?
After a quick look, I can't find Curb Your Enthusiasm on a service like Hulu or Netflix Instant Watch. However, for what it's worth, you can find complete seasons of that show on iTunes for about $20/season.

I have actually been using Hulu a lot for the past few weeks, and I actually only discovered the site recently. Honestly I have been very impressed, especially since Hulu has a few semi-obscure shows that you wouldn't really expect to see. Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes is a great series, although many people don't know of it.

Dealing with the boredom that comes with living in snow country I have started to enjoy clicking around on all sorts of weird TV like things on the net.

Talk about a blast from the past, all those old things I used to love back in the black and white days are out there. Life is good

rsmliu

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have actually been using Hulu a lot for the past few weeks, and I actually only discovered the site recently. Honestly I have been very impressed, especially since Hulu has a few semi-obscure shows that you wouldn't really expect to see. Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes is a great series, although many people don't know of it.
Oh yes! Recently, we used Hulu to watch a few old shows like Miami Vice and the original Knight Rider. Brings back lots of memories ...

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Chase Carey explains why free, online streaming is going to be declining...

“Today it’s easy to make it free because it’s not really cannibalizing that much; the cannibalization is pretty small. But it’s gonna grow,” said News Corp. COO Chase Carey at the 2009 B&C/Multichannel News OnScreen Media Summit in October. “And if you don’t get in front of it as it does start to cannibalize, the key business starts [getting cannibalized] down the road.”
Olympics 2010: NBC Slows Streaming to a Trickle in Vancouver - 2010-02-08 05:00:00 | Broadcasting & Cable

This really crystallizes why some consumers' wet-dreams of replacing their current cable television subscription with free, online streaming is probably going to just end up sending them into a pit of disappointment.

I don't really see internet television as cannibalizing Cable TV, as long as they mainly stick to older television shows on the internet. The problem is when all of the latest television episodes go online, and then people just quit watching regular television period.

Well, that is definitely quite cool to see :)

I am having a little bit of difficulty getting Hulu to work at the moment, but I will try it again in a few hours and hope for the best with it.

By the way, do you know if that Knight Rider 2000 movie is up there as well?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't really see internet television as cannibalizing Cable TV, as long as they mainly stick to older television shows on the internet. The problem is when all of the latest television episodes go online, and then people just quit watching regular television period.
That's a really good point. I think that Internet video distribution could be a viable model if eventually its evolves to a point where older shows (<15 years old) could theoretically be "free" (advertising supported), while newer shows are behind a pay-wall.