iPhone getting a mobile dtv tuner?

O-O

DTVUSA Member
With the iPhone being a "world phone" penatrating markets in Japan, Europe, and here in the states, how big would it be if Apple decided to add a ATSC M/H tuner to it? Think it would stir up the mobile market for TV? I think it certainly wouldn't hurt. :)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Guess what? World phone is based on GSM so it can talk to cell towers here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/GSM_World_Coverage_2008.png Not bad!!

BUT and a big But....
ATSC-M/H works here --> United States......

But you can get a bunch of TVs with different decoders.
Because look at how well everyone agreed on a world wide mobile DTV standard:

Mobile TV standards

* ATSC-M/H
* CMMB (China Mobile Multimedia Broadcasting) - China
* DAB-IP (Digital Audio Broadcast) - UK
* T-DMB (Terrestrial Digital Mulitmedia Broadcast) - South Korea, Germany
o S-DMB (Satellite Digital Multimedia Broadcast) - South Korea, Japan
* DVB-H
o DVB-SH
* HSPA
* ISDB-T (Integrated Service Digital Broadcasting) - Japan and Brazil
o 1seg (One Segment) - Mobile TV system on ISDB-T
* MediaFLO - launched in US, trialled in UK and Germany

European Union adopted DVB-H/DVB-SH over other versions of the technology in 2008. [1]

[1] Mobile TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still say the cell phone carriers will want MediaFLO, so they can sell the service. Why would they want a free feature in a phone? Even Verizon is really bad about locking out downloading of pictures to your computer without buying their text media service and having to pay to send them to your computer via email. I know I have a Motorola E815 from what was Alltel, that never locked features. Verizon sold the same phone and locked out downloading or uploading the phone book, music, images, movies. Why lock it? Oh! then you have to buy the service to do it over their system.

I still say we won't see ATSC-M/H in phones and if it's there companies like Verizon will lock out the feature. The Flo TV boys were ready for the transition and actually patiently waited out the delay and apparently already have the transmitters set up in a lot of places to deliver FLO to Cell phones. See why they wanted the upper UHF channels? Free TV is not good for modern capitalism.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Highly doubtful we'll see atsc-m/h in a iPhone. What would Apple gain? Like Piggie mentioned, this would be disadvantageos to AT&T and their FLO service too.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I am seeing ATSC-M/H not only a pain in the butt to type, but a solution without a problem. I have yet to really have that feeling it has a niche to fill. I hope I am wrong, I guess.

But it must have a better picture than FLO? After all they cram all the flow into what used to be (I think I am right) channel 55. Is FLO really paying to install a UHF transmitter at every cell site? Or have they to a large degree already?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I still say the cell phone carriers will want MediaFLO, so they can sell the service. Why would they want a free feature in a phone? Even Verizon is really bad about locking out downloading of pictures to your computer without buying their text media service and having to pay to send them to your computer via email. I know I have a Motorola E815 from what was Alltel, that never locked features. Verizon sold the same phone and locked out downloading or uploading the phone book, music, images, movies. Why lock it? Oh! then you have to buy the service to do it over their system.
I'm hoping as competition gets tougher for the cell providers, cell providers will add free OTA DTV to our cell capabilities. This might just be wishful thinking though ;)

I wonder if the lock out is regional? I'm on the Verizon network and the Verizon media service is free. You need to register a free account, to be able to access your personal preferences. I email pictures from my cmera to my home PC on a regular basis. If I don't use the free service for a 6 month period, it goes inactive and I need to register again. I had that happen one time. Do you have to pay for the service in your region?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping as competition gets tougher for the cell providers, cell providers will add free OTA DTV to our cell capabilities. This might just be wishful thinking though ;)

I wonder if the lock out is regional? I'm on the Verizon network and the Verizon media service is free. You need to register a free account, to be able to access your personal preferences. I email pictures from my cmera to my home PC on a regular basis. If I don't use the free service for a 6 month period, it goes inactive and I need to register again. I had that happen one time. Do you have to pay for the service in your region?
Is that their vpix service or something like that? I used to use that a few years ago where you could visit their website and view pictures that you uploaded too. :becky:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Highly doubtful we'll see atsc-m/h in a iPhone. What would Apple gain? Like Piggie mentioned, this would be disadvantageos to AT&T and their FLO service too.
Yeah, but I'm kind of thinking that if Apple did add the tuner to their iPhone, it would spark tons of interest from people and other cell phone manufactures.

most people wouldn't favor watching HD on a tiny screen such as the touch screen of an iPhone.

I don't even like watching youtube on my iPod Touch, it not only strains my eyes which triggers migraines, but it also eats the battery alive. i can't finish and episode of Star Trek: Voyager without being reminded that my battery is under 25%. it's very short-lived on videos, and i would say the iPhone is, too.

That and being Apple, they'd probably charge a premium for such a service, like they do per-song on iTunes.

I got my iPod touch because it was handy to check weather and sites such as this while i'm out and don't feel like lugging a laptop. and oddly it was $40 cheaper than the Nano, and the Nano doesn't have any of the wi-fi capability nor the apps function of the iPod touch.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Not in my area. We have two companies with any decent coverage now after all the mega mergers, ATT and Verizon. US Cellular and Alltel were merged in respectively. Sprint is fine if you live in town and only use the interstates, and T-Mobile is good if you only live in town.

The only thing that could be worse to me if Verizon and ATT merger essentially rebuilding Ma Bell from the last Century. And actually they don't have to do that, it's better to pretend to compete, being both are owned by the same major stock holders.

Hope it's better there, but here both major carriers are now just Ma Bell reinvented.

Yeah, but I'm kind of thinking that if Apple did add the tuner to their iPhone, it would spark tons of interest from people and other cell phone manufactures.
One is sure if Apple did put ATSC-M/H into the next generation iPhone, it would be probably that niche I say needs to form to make it blossom.

most people wouldn't favor watching HD on a tiny screen such as the touch screen of an iPhone.
Probably a typo, but FLO and MPH are a long way from HD. They are even lower rez than SD.

Piggie

Super Moderator
You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between SD and HD anyway.
That is why they use an low res signal. Why deliver something not used. I am not sure how big you could make it and it look good. Even though they do use MPEG4, still it's only about .9 mbps of video stream.

Love that thought of having TV on that little iPhone screen.

The next to come would be the glasses from apple...hahaha...

Just thinking about the customer service selling the iPhone with normal glasses or enlargement glasses...:nyah:

Yes, I know, I am a bad bad girl.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Love that thought of having TV on that little iPhone screen.

The next to come would be the glasses from apple...hahaha...

Just thinking about the customer service selling the iPhone with normal glasses or enlargement glasses...:nyah:

Yes, I know, I am a bad bad girl.
I vote x-ray glasses. :p

appleaddict

DTVUSA Jr. Member
With the iPhone being a "world phone" penatrating markets in Japan, Europe, and here in the states, how big would it be if Apple decided to add a ATSC M/H tuner to it? Think it would stir up the mobile market for TV? I think it certainly wouldn't hurt. :)
Subscribed to this thread. Please update if there are any rumors or news about this feature being added to the iPhone.