iPhone Privacy Concerns: What You Need To Know

There has been a lot of controversy going on recently with regards to the NSA’s spying program and all of the leaks by Edward Snowden. The magazine that was among the first to report his information, Der Spiegel, is now covering a bit of worrisome information related to iPhone technology. According to their report, the US National Security Agency can find out any kind of information that is on your iPhone.

The spyware tool has been in use by the NSA group known as ANT and is referred to as DROPOUTJEEP. This software allows workers at the NSA to get backdoor access to electronic devices, including computer hard drives, routers, and a variety of equipment that comes from a variety of manufacturers, including Samsung, Dell, and Cisco.

Documents obtained by Der Spiegel show a way that iPhones can be infiltrated using DROPOUTJEEP and gain access to cell tower locations, contact lists, voice mails, instant messages, and more. According to the report, the NSA has the ability to push/pull files from the device covering almost every piece of data that passes through it. It is then encrypted and sent to the NSA.

Initially, it is being used as a part of “close-access methods,” but in the future it will be possible for them to remotely install the spyware and access the data. I turns out, this has been possible since back in 2008 when it was initially created for iPhones specifically. It has since been expanded, it appears, to be capable of exploiting other phones as well, however.

Two weeks ago, it was first looked at in depth by a journalist named Jacob Appelbaum, who raised a large stir over the topic. He speculated over whether or not Apple had any knowledge of the spyware or if they even allowed the backdoor access that the NSA relies on for a lot of the spying program that it is now using. In the past, various technology companies have been forced to comply with NSA data collection, but in some cases they have payed as much as $10 million to gain access to data.

The official response from Apple says that they have never cooperated to create backdoors in any of their products. According to them, they are just now learning about the NSA program and it is very concerning to them due to their top priority of ensuring customer security. Just as they have fought off hackers of all sorts, they are working to stop NSA spying on their hardware.

As technology advances and the NSA continues to broaden its reach, there is a very real concern that is being raised throughout the tech community. There are some companies that have participated willingly in the programs, some that have been forced, and some that have been caught completely off guard. The one thing that is for sure is that the debate is going to continue for the foreseeable future unless something is conceded by either side of the argument.

View attachment 2934

James

DTVUSA Member
If I were a govt spook I would LOVE this technology. What better tools to snoop on your enemies? True science fiction come to life. I don't like the idea of being spied upon myself. Then I wonder why anyone would want to listen in on me when there are big fish to catch.

The government makes me sick some time. How do they figure it's okay to spy on us without our permission if we haven't given them a reason of suspension. That's against our rights.