Is Anthony Bourdain the Answer to CNN's Ratings Woes?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Travel Channel mainstay Anthony Bourdain is jumping ship, leaving his No Reservations culinary program on the Travel Channel for a new version of his traveling show on CNN. Bourdain's unnamed new program will be the cornerstone of CNN's food and travel programming. The weekend show will air first on Sunday and then be repeated on the following Saturday.

View attachment 1727 Scheduled to launch in 2013, Bourdain will continue his international culinary point of view with the show that will be shot on location. As he has done before, he will focus on food, travel, and social trends in the locales the show visits.

Stated Bourdain, “I’m really looking forward to coming over to CNN. I think the world is going to get a whole lot bigger for me. I hope that old fans and new ones will be excited about what’s coming down the road.”

As mentioned in a previous post, CNN is struggling a bit in their ratings. As a whole, the news network appears to be getting away from straight news and moving toward a slew of hour specialty programs. I have to wonder whether that is good or bad.

I'm not really a fan of Bourdain's, but he is clearly a leader in the food world, having done No Reservations since 2005 and other programs before that. He also has several successful books to his credit.

However, is he the answer to CNN's woes? I used to turn to CNN because I knew they'd have the latest news on. Now, though, when I'm looking for those headlines, I end up with some news magazine program. That's not what I want from CNN. Are they making a mistake as they venture further away from their essence, or are new signings like Bourdain's the way to a more successful future?