Is cord cutting REALLY a big trend?

James

DTVUSA Member
I can across some stats..I can't verify them...but they show the majority of pay TV providers are adding customers.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here are the reported numbers for the first quarter of 2014:

AT&T -- 201,000
Verizon -- 57,000
Dish - 40,000
Comcast -- 24,000
Charter -- 18,000
DIRECTV -- 12,000
Time Warner Cable -- Lost 34,000

Total gains: 318,000[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
318,000 new customers between 7 providers is not exactly a huge gain. I suspect that many of them are getting a "basic" cable package just to qualify for bundle pricing on their internet. In many cases, the addition of Basic TV to internet results in a price that's about the same as internet only.

James

DTVUSA Member
318,000 new customers between 7 providers is not exactly a huge gain. I suspect that many of them are getting a "basic" cable package just to qualify for bundle pricing on their internet. In many cases, the addition of Basic TV to internet results in a price that's about the same as internet only.
Yes! I too have found that the most basic tier (which I have) adds little to the cost of my Fio internet service. The box rental and taxes, however...do add up.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Hypothetically, how does that compare to changes in the population size, and average household size? Does it count institutions (like college dorms or nursing homes) or just single family homes? Does it count people who are simply changing providers or moving? Are those real numbers, statistical inferences, or are they inflated by the companies to show investors or government regulators? And like was mentioned above, which services are they buying? There's a lot of missing information before you can make any generalizations from that data.

Is cord cutting really a big trend? My opinion is that yes, it's a big enough trend to warrant discussion. Is everyone fleeing cable en masse? No, because there are still people willing to pay for the overpriced cable, and streaming options are only recently getting good enough (in content and ease of use) to compete.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Many people are unaware that they have options that don't include cable or satellite. Many people are under the impression that broadcast TV with an antenna is not an option anymore, or that using an antenna would get them just 3 fuzzy channels like their grandfather got. One of my favorite responses from people who I tell about free TV using an antenna is "They still do that?".

DM28

DTVUSA Member
I frequent a huge CordCutting community (not sure if it's okay for me to mention the name here) So I'm obviously biased but a bunch of my friends (both in real life and the internet) have already cut their cords. I'm still debating though as I just love my cable provider and I don't mind paying a bit extra for good content.