Is it normal to only receive 2 channels?

CarolG

DTVUSA Rookie
We connected our TV to the converter box last night and scanned and found that we couldn't receive any channels without our roof antenna attached. So my husband had to buy a special adapter this morning and we connected it just an hour ago. Did another scan. We get 2 channels. ABC and NBC. Is this normal? If this is what dtv has to offer, I want to return everything and just go back to the old way of watching TV.

Piggie

Super Moderator
We connected our TV to the converter box last night and scanned and found that we couldn't receive any channels without our roof antenna attached. So my husband had to buy a special adapter this morning and we connected it just an hour ago. Did another scan. We get 2 channels. ABC and NBC. Is this normal? If this is what dtv has to offer, I want to return everything and just go back to the old way of watching TV.
Welcome to the board and sorry you are having trouble.

If you needed to buy an adapter to hook up the CECB (Convert Box) that probably means the wire coming from your antenna is flat and not round. This is part of the problem. Though flat wire has less loss, it does only when properly installed and why cable has become more popular to use from the antenna to the TV or CECB.

With the information you gave us, several things can be wrong. So we need more information if you would like some help seeing what else you might be able to pick up.

1) Is the cable from the antenna flat or round?

2) What is your zip code or go here TV Fool and put in your address, then post the link they give you back here. Besure to take a good guess at how high you outside antenna is now.

3) Tell us anything you now about your current outside antenna. Does it use an amp? Model or make? Is it VHF or UHF?

If you don't understand the questions, answer what you can, then we go from there.

With that we can give you a much better idea what you should receive.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Nice going, Piggie, you went all too technical, leaving poor Orry a whimpering mess.
I know, I can't help it, it's the way I roll. Plus I wanted to post hard evidence that twin lead is actually superior to coax, but what kills it's use is that is not practical now that mast head amps are affordable, coax made much better and cheaper.

It should probably be a sticky post in an advanced section, back in the dark part of the basement illuminated with the glow of mercury rectifiers where you find the pig experimenting well after midnight.